Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Morzine Feb

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're lucky enough to have a friend with an apartment in Essert Romand that we've used for long "dads only" mid week ski trips -this year we decided to take our eldest kids leaving the wives and little ones at home (still not sure how we got this agreed )

We're a mixed group of 3 skiers and a boarder. The boys are 7 and have had lessons off and on at Xscape since they were 4. I'm a recent convert to skiing after 18 years snowboarding.

Trip

We DIY'd the trip ourselves with flights and cars sorted through easyjet/car and lift tickets booked online. We flew out on Sunday and returned on Thursday giving us 3 days skiing.

Equipment
We rented our gear from F Baud Freeride at the bottom of the Pleney lift. Despite being busy we got excellent service, the kids kitted out with Rossi boots and skis, me with Tecnica boots and Salomon BBR skis.

Skiing

First day, think its fair to say we overdid it. Lots of kms under the skis and 2 tired boys at the end of it. We spent the day in and around Morzine and Les Gets. The look on my sons face as we headed up via the Pleney bubble and he looked across the valley is something that will stay with me for a long time Smile

We had a few warm up runs around Pleney and then took Granges the Charniaz Express over to Les Gets, enjoying the sunshine and a stop at the restaurant at the side of Vorosses. The BBQ there looked amazing, but had we eaten i'd roll off the slopes. We headed back via Nyon to the base of the Pleney for our traditional stopping point of Le Tremplin. A very lazy lunch in the sun allowed the kids time to recharge before we headed up the Pleney again. We found the Grand Cry area in Les Gets which my son absolutely loved. We had a sneaky Nutella crepe before heading back via Nyon with the plan being to take the track from the Fys lift back to the base of the Pleney. However, my son missed the bridge and headed off down towards the Nyon carpark at a rate of knots. When we arrived the lift had stopped and we had to get the bus back to town !! Certainly learnt a lesson there that i need to lead the group at some points rather than shouting aimlessly at a rapidly disappearing 7 yr old Smile

2nd day we headed to Ardent and i could tell the first day had taken its toll on jnr. We had a lazy day in and around the Lindarets bowl. We had a great time digging holes, building snow walls watching the paragliders and generally messing about. Normally i love to ski/ride all day but just relaxing with my son was a real reminder that as big as my 7yr old is he's still little and just being out in the mountains is a good day.

He perked up later in the afternoon and we had a few runs down Abricotine to finish the day.

Day 3 we decided to spend in and around Morzine and Les Gets. Had a great day in and around Chavannes, apart from me having a heavy fall on Belle Mouille. This dented my confidence somewhat and for a while after my skiing was a mess. Wasn't until we stopped for a crepe that i realised the top boot buckle had come loose and meant i had no control over the left ski Smile Once the boots were right it all fell back into place. I've never fully explored Les Gets on previous trips and having a full day to explore the area we found some brilliant quiet runs that allowed us to work on some technique and i felt we both made some real progress.

Our skiing has come on leaps and bounds and our first trip to Xscape after the holiday showed how much we had both improved in 3 days. Neither of us are Aksel Svindal but we're certainly heading in the right direction and will continue to have lessons at Xscape.

TLDR

Normally my ski trips have always been about first lift/last lift and a bit of apres, but skiing with the kids really changed that. Everything was an experience to be enjoyed and shared and my son is still talking about the trip. We enjoyed it so much that we've already booked a chalet for next March and we're taking the entire family Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy