Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs logistics

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Only two and a half weeks to go to our return to Les Arcs, and can't wait Very Happy ! Our flight lands at GVA at 6pm Sat evening, we'll then pick up the car on the French side, and head up to the apartment at 1600. So a few questions -

1) never driven the journey myself, so what's the best route to take at that time of evening?

2) was thinking we'd stop for groceries on the way - any suggestions of best/easiest place at that time en route ? Or is the supermarket at 1600 'good/cheap enough' to warrant avoiding the hassle (Need to get the kids to bed so we're up bright and early to avoid the rental scrum)

3) the apartment complex (La Roc Belle Face) needs an ETA so someone can give us the keys. Based on the above, how long do you think we should allow? Will the transfer day traffic have died down by then?

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would normally suggest stocking up at the Super U in Bourg on your way, but it will probably be closed by the time you pass through on the Saturday. It's only a ten minute drive from 1600 so I'd suggest popping down on the Sunday instead. Personally I think this would pay off rather than relying on the resort shop. Mind you, I guess there's a bid Carrefour at Albertville - that might be a good option.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have done the journey to Arc 1600 many times and these are my estimates of the times etc assuming that you land at 18:00 in Geneva:

From touch down to picking up the car can be as long as an hour depending on how fast you get through passport control.

Drive from GVA to Arc1600 is about 2:30 using motorway to Chambery, Albertville and Moutiers. I have done it in 2 hours (and got a speeding ticket)

This means that you be going through Bourg at 21:00 and the shops will be shut. You might just make the massive hypermarket in Chambery before it closes at 20:00 but I wouldn't bet on it. The shop in 1600 closes at 19:30 I always stop off at a motorway service area and get some milk. if you need an evening meal then Pizza Charlotte are very good and I believe deliver - you could phone them on the way.

I would give an ETA as 21:30 to 22:00, but if you decide to stop/shop on the way then factor that in.

During the season I do the vast majority of my shopping in the little supermarket, but the Roc Belle Face is so close to the funicular it might be a shorter walk to Lidl in Bourg. Personally I cannot be bothered to drive down to Bourg just to save a few euros on food and drink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whereas my daily to trip to the Super U on my two week summer holiday is one of my life pleasures (it's awesome)!! Laughing

Edit - though granted this is probably much more of a ballache in the winter...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Jenniper, Super U has a superb fish counter. However I generally prefer the Intermarche next door It just I cannot be botherd to walk from the funicular to the shop, or dig the car out and spend ages looking for another parking space when I return. The shop in 1600 is only 100m from my apartment and has every thing I need (including oysters)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just a note re. Pizza Charlotte; unless they've changed in recent years, they always used to close at 22:00, so it might be cutting it fine to get there in time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the info - awesome! Where is the supermarket in 1600, is it far?

Also, on the subject of parking - am I right in thinking the parking is free, but will I have any trouble getting a spot? The Roc will happily take my money for indoor parking, but I assume I can take a punt on not getting snowed in for April. Also, I can see the parking looks to be down the hill a bit on the map but how far is it actually from the appartments (and particularly how steep the hill is in between). Any concerns in carting all our stuff up, given I'll have three tired kids in tow?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The shop is along the street near the Cachette hotel. You cannot miss it as you walk towards the Combettes lift. Pizza Charlotte is opposite it and the Arvi bar next door. It is probably 500m from the Roc Belle Face.

I always unload by the entrance of the apartment then go and park. It can be difficult to find places in peak season (New Year) but I have never failed. You may be lucky and find a place in the flat area near the 3 arcs building but most likely it will be either on the road just after you turn off the road to 2000 into 1600 or near the return from that road to the main road again. If you are going on the 28th (if I read your email correctly) you will find a place.

As to getting snowed in; well I have dug out from over 1 metre at New Year. Once when struggling with particular icy rubble a veola van pulled up beside me and loaned a substantial shovel; on another occaision I have been given gloves, helped etc. Do not worry about it. For an emergency it is amazing what can be done with a bum sledge.

Have a good time. I will be there on the 3rd
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Getting close now, and the weather seems to be setting things up nicely!

Given we won't get there to 10, anywhere passable to grab some hot food en route - we won't be wanting to spend much time, so a motorway stop or McDonalds/KFC would do at a push?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lots of options in Albertville. Just look on googlemaps and take your choice. Buffalo Grill is commonly our decision.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Pejoli, there's some talk on the weather thread of colder temperatures and possibilities of snow (which is good news, obviously). But......make sure you get snow chains (especially as the French cars won't have winter tyres) and that they are the right size. That late, and with kids, I don't think I'd stop to do a big supermarket shop which always takes longer than you think. I'd be inclined to take some nice picnic bits too and eat en route, rather than delay arrival any later than 2130/2200.

@Jenniper, do you really go supermarket shopping every day on your summer holiday? Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

@Jenniper, do you really go supermarket shopping every day on your summer holiday?

And is the term "pleasure" used its ironic sense.

@Pejoli, There is a McDonalds in Bourg st Maurice near the roundabout where you used to turn to go up to Les Arcs (the signs now route you behind the town). I am not sure of the closing time since I haven't been there for years to use their wifi but it used to be 23:00. Personally I would call in at Le Tonneau on the corner by the railway station which appears to be open all the time. Or if you are getting to Les Arcs well before 22:00 get a pizza from Pizza Charlotte, but it is more expensive.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w,
Quote:

@Jenniper, do you really go supermarket shopping every day on your summer holiday?

I would. I love foreign supermarkets and prefer to plan food 1-2 days at a time according top how we feel. All this assumes the supermarket isn't too far away.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definitely! Historically we have stayed in the campsite across the road from the Super U, which means getting up and having coffee, then wandering across to buy the day's picnic ingredients before heading out on the bikes for the day. Then we might go later in the evening to buy BBQ ingredients and more beer!

Honestly - I love the Super U and I always stock up on their Bags for Life for use at home too! Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi, 2hrs 30 seems lite to me, from GVA to 1600 from GVA french side, assuming you avoid the Swiss roads and take the back route. Or at least, it's about as good as it may get in the speed limit. We tend to arrive 930pm on our 'usual' trip, so the roads are as quiet as they get when we drive only as far as Bourg St Maurice, and that takes us min 2hrs 30. I've never driven up to 1600 as we stay in BSM, but I assume it's 10 to 15 minutes up the road.

In terms of food stops on the way, Mcdonalds off Junction 13 in chambery.... Always breaks up th journey nicely. And is the 'once a year "treat" to eat at McDs !

Supermarkets, I can't comment, other than the Spar / supermarket referred to in 1600 is obvious, not far from anywhere and seems to have all you may need (in a french food way) (Even superglue for on the go repairs as I found out this last trip)
ski holidays
(Terrible grammar above. I apologise. It's late, and I can't be bothered to edit. Hope it still makes sense.)
latest report
From Geneva we always go via the lake at Annecy and, in normal daytime traffic, get to Albertville in 80-90 mins and Bourg in two to two and a quarter hours. It's then onward to Tignes, which generally takes a max two and three quarter hours - though we've done it in two and a half a few times with no traffic.

So I'd say Arc 1600 will be two to two and a quarter hours from Geneva if traffic isn't too heavy.
snow report
From Geneva we always go via the lake at Annecy and, in normal daytime traffic, get to Albertville in 80-90 mins and Bourg in two to two and a quarter hours. It's then onward to Tignes, which generally takes a max two and three quarter hours - though we've done it in two and a half a few times with no traffic.

So I'd say Arc 1600 will be two to two and a quarter hours from Geneva if traffic isn't too heavy.
snow report
@Richie_S, The fastest I have done it down the hill from 1600 to BsM is 14 minutes with no traffic and very good weather. Coming up is probably 20 minutes even if we do not get stuck behind the daudling Parisian (75)
snow conditions
Do you plan to get a Swiss motorway vignette, @Pejoli? If not, viamichelin.com can give you a route "without Swiss vignette". You need to head to St Julien en Genevois - but it would be worth having someone in the car able to help you navigate it, so that you don't lose too much time.

I would always drive via Lake Annecy too - but I do the eastern shore (through Talloires). Just prefer it. Whichever side of the lake you go it's a fiddle, but it shouldn't take much much longer than the motorway - only a few minutes according to Google Maps - and saves both fuel and tolls. And it's far more interesting.
ski holidays
@pam w, I have only taken the Annecy route twice and on both occaisions got held up by heavy traffic both into Annecy and around the lake. On one occasion it took so long that eventually we abandoned getting to Les Arcs for any meaningful activity and stopped for a leisurely lunch beside the lake. However, I cannot deny that it is both much more scenic and costs less. Both criteria are also improved by cutting across the Cormet de Roseland direct to Bourg. But that is not reccomended for winter.
snow report
Quote:

But that is not reccomended for winter.

It's completely impossible all winter. Roselend is often closed till quite late in spring. And it's pretty slow, even in summer. Lovely drive though.

I prefer the easterly route round the lake which is much less busy and you don't do that one way bit past the hospital in Annecy either. I've never been held up on that route to the airport but then I don't do it on busy transfer days.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Do you plan to get a Swiss motorway vignette, @Pejoli? If not, viamichelin.com can give you a route "without Swiss vignette". You need to head to St Julien en Genevois - but it would be worth having someone in the car able to help you navigate it, so that you don't lose too much time.

I would always drive via Lake Annecy too - but I do the eastern shore (through Talloires). Just prefer it. Whichever side of the lake you go it's a fiddle, but it shouldn't take much much longer than the motorway - only a few minutes according to Google Maps - and saves both fuel and tolls. And it's far more interesting.

@pam_w thanks for pointing this out (adding to my list of things I missed). Looking at via Michelin it says the trip will take about 15 minutes longer - does that sound about right on a Saturday evening? Not sure that's worth spending 30 quid on.

Based on the other input, I don't think I'll bother with the Annecy route if it risks taking longer - it'll be dark, so not much view to miss (last time I was there was 25 years ago on a hang gliding holiday, view is even better from 6000 feet up !)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy