Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Otztal in Summer: Climate and activities

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Considering a week in the Otztal around the start of July. Looks brilliant with mountain biking, swimming facilities and more hiking than you could do in a whole summers worth of trips. Just have a couple of questions:

Does anyone have experience of the climate in the area around July? I've been to the Western Alps (Chamonix, Val d'Annivers, Saas) to climb a few times in summer and enjoy the weather there...never been to the eastern alps in summer however, and as I'm going for a more chilled holiday with my girlfriend this time I thought I'd check!!

Secondly, we were looking at tagging a couple of days at a lake on the end of the trip and were wondering if Constance, Achensee or another have any particular points to recommend themselves above the others?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went camping/walking there in late July a few summers ago and had a really good time. Days mostly warm (t shirt and shorts/light trousers) although mornings could be a bit chilly. There was one day when it absolutely poured with rain.

We stayed at the campsite in Soelden, which was well appointed and had marked pitches. Wash facilites were plentiful and clean and the staff helpful and friendly.

If you buy the summer "walker's lift ticket" it includes a lot of the local busses as well as the lifts. If you get the bus to the glacier, you can then go up the gondola and walk over to a viewing platform, or you can walk over to Vent and catch the bus back (allow most of the day for this). There are also some great walks around middle station and in the Hochgurl/Obergurgl area. If you are feeling adventurous, you can join a (?overnight) group expedition to the site near Similaun where Oetzi the iceman was found. There are also mountain bike routes and bike hire in the town, although we didn't use either of these. The lift ticket also gives a discount or free entry (can't remember which as we didn't use it!) to the swimming pool and a discount on entry to the Oetzidorf museum, which was an interesting was to spend a morning. It has some reconstructed/reimagined ice-age dwellings etc.

Really, really, enjoyed our time there (and a similar trip in the Zillertal).

Hope that helps (Can't comment on the lakes though as have never been.)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@hollando, head for Bodensee if you want a bathing experience. Achensee is snow fed and is very cold, alternatively you could head along the A12 onto the A93 up to Rosenheim and then head for Chiemsee which is way shallower so warms up quickly. If you head our way then let me know and I'll take you out sailing on the lake for a day! wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From limited experience, the weather will be much the same as, say, Chamonix - mainly warm/hot and dry, but definitely be prepared for rain and (particularly in the night/mornings) cold. We did get showed on one August, but that was up on the glacier above Solden - I think it was just raining back at the campsite.

A return to Austria is definitely on my mid-term summer holiday plans - schnitzel, gulaschsuppe, etc!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hollando We've booked a week in Ehrwald to do some walking, Via Ferrata (Kletterstieg), and biking, so not that far from where you are planning.

At the end of the week, before moving onto Chamonix (for more of the same), we're stopping in Bregenz on Lake Constance. I've heard the town isn't much, but we've got tickets to see Turandot at the Bregenz Festspiele. If you google it, you'll see the most amazing stages built in the lake. Its also famous for being featured in the James Bond film "Quantum of Solace".

LR
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@hollando, I've had several walking and climbing trips to the Wilder Kaiser area (Ski Welt in winter) and the weather has been lovely. Not too hot (the sun is strong though), clear air and the mountains at their most beatiful.

Must go back this summer...

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 11-03-15 19:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
During a week walking holiday in Mayrhofen in the first week of October once, we had a whole week of hot weather in the day with cool nights. Then on the last day it rained in the village and snowed heavily up on the mountain. Check the forecasts before you go and be prepared. The weather in the Alps can be different every year and I wouldnt rely on temperature and rainfall averages.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy