Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon X Screams

Poster: A snowHead
I have friends arriving to stay with me today - going to Gva shortly to pick them up. He has Salomon X Screams, which came out with me in my car.

He's been skiing for years, but not much recently as his wife (of not many years) is a very tentative beginner.

They came two years ago, unfortunately the day after I fractured my pelvis so I couldn't ski with them, or do much else for them, come to that. I don't know how well he skis but I think he's fine - he certainly managed well in a great deal of snow, which must have got badly mounded up, on the pistes in very poor visibility.

So, the question is, should I throw doubt on his beloved X Screams (he assured me he'd left his "old" skis at home?) I have some much better skis he could borrow for no money. I don't want to mess him up - and I'm no expert on skis - but maybe he'd have more fun on up to date skis?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It does depend on the model of x-scream skis he has pam w. The 10 Pilots are a reasonable ski yes dated now but still fun to ski on.

Not knowing the model just give him the the option of which skis he wants to use.

Also the condition is important the Prolink in mine is on it's way out which will make them more lifeless soon, I may get a year or so as either a rock ski or just to use on the dryslope.

Sorry can't be of more help but not knowing what the other skis you have for him are, and also what model of X-screams he has and condition of them makes it hard to give a direct answer.

Hope you have a great day anyway snowHead

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 10-03-15 13:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd let him go out on the x screams at first. Then perhaps suggest he might like to experiment with something more modern once he has found his ski legs. If he hasn't skied in a while it is probably easier to build your confidence on what you know (remove one variable - you know how it is, if he struggles early on with new skis part fo his brain will be telling him that the skis are the problem)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I remember when pretty much anyone who's anyone had a pair of X Screams. Fantastic graphics and those bars across the top! I trialled a pair once (Not sure which type) and found them a bit heavy and unresponsive so went back my XX Bandits.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I loved my x-scream pilot 8's !! Smile Using the 24 hour max now, but would be happy to go back to the x-screams (just keep them if there is a lack of snow now... )

The x-screams were a first generation 'carver' ski, so not too far out of date..
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
does he have SX92 boots to match Smile

But seriously XScreams could be 20 years old, can you snatch a pic Pam??
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Am in Geneva airport. Will check model later. The alternative is Rossignol World Cup Oversize. Few years old now. Black white and Orange jobs. Having him spend the first day on his own skis sounds sensible.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm hoping for a one piece , SX92 boots and the Yellow XScreams in this picture, don't disappoint @pam w,
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i'm skiing next week with a pal who is 75 - he will be wearing his SX92s... (says he is too old now to bother buying new!) ; perhaps i should bring along my XScreams !!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@cameronphillips2000, if you had XX bandits, I am thinking you were on later gen Xscreams, which were dull and boring compared to the series 1.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weren't all the pilot models Screams not XScreams?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, if you had XX bandits, I am thinking you were on later gen Xscreams, which were dull and boring compared to the series 1.

Very likely, this was 1998.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
Am in Geneva airport. Will check model later. The alternative is Rossignol World Cup Oversize. Few years old now. Black white and Orange jobs. Having him spend the first day on his own skis sounds sensible.

If they are the slant nose ones or similiar performance then starting on his x-screams may be the best option, but if skiing for a few days def get him to try the Rossi's ( if not I will snowHead ).
P.S. he may want to buy them afterwards wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@midgetbiker, Yep, my X-Screams aren't X at all (just plain old Screams ---- DOH!!!)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, butt out and let him make his own mistakes would be my advice
ski holidays
@midgetbiker, I thought there were a couple of generations of Xscreams. Not going to argue however. I did try a prototype pilot Scream and it was so unpleasant and way nastier that the production model, which wasn't great - to my taste...
snow conditions
@midgetbiker, Just spent ten minutes digging out my Scream 10 Pilots Embarassed

Though not sure there was a massive difference between the x-scream and scream.

There will be a big difference though between the x-scream and the Rossi's. The scream 10 pilots I have while fun do have a bit of chatter at hgher speeds (x-scream will be the same). I would possibly say the Rossi's will turn just a bit quicker ( if SL model ) but hold an edge much stronger especially as you increase speed.
ski holidays
Xscream lasted till 2004, in something like 6 graphic varieties
snow report
They're just Screams. No x......
snow conditions
I sold my X-Screams to a Polish fella at a car boot sale a couple of years ago; he seemed very pleased with them! I remember my brother had a demo pair of Pilots from Salomon before they went on the market and the La Plagne instructors were fascinated by how the bindings were mounted etc. They were unbelievably heavy to lug about, too!
snow conditions
We'll see how he gets on tomorrow. snowHead
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
We'll see how he gets on tomorrow. snowHead

Episode 2 follows shortly.......

===================

SPEED098 -- "Though not sure there was a massive difference between the x-scream and scream."

think the X had a wood plus foam core ; the scream, just a foam (isocell) core..
ski holidays
@albob,
Not sure about the lower level scream range, but the scream 10 pilot that I have do have poplar/Beech woodcore.
latest report
Worth checking whether the Screams have any camber/backbone left in them. My OH had a pair of X screams, can't remember when he got them, but he definitely had them by 2007, and in 2011 I went to get them serviced (in Salomon's workshop), and they said they were completely dead, no camber left at all. OH got a brand new pair of Enduro's, and his reaction was 'OMG, they've got life in them, and they actually turn!'.
So it's worth getting him to try something different, because if he's only used to his own skis he won't know any different and won't know that he may be missing out on a lot more fun.
ski holidays
@cameronphillips2000, you and me both, brother - always Bandits, never X's
ski holidays
Well, it was the boots rather than the skis..... turned out (funny clicking noise walking over the road) that the heel pieces were in the process of totally disintegrating. So took them into the hire shop, who are searching for replacements (ancient Salomon Evolution) and meanwhile he's rented a pair of boots a whole size smaller, bindings adjusted.......

We'll think about skis later. I think he'd be much better off with the Rossis but one thing at a time, eh what?
snow report
@pam w, sounds like a mahoosive shopping opportunity to me snowHead snowHead
snow report
I have a pair of X-Screams, the yellow ones, they were the first generation of carvers, I hear they are hard to find and worth a lot now days....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Windskisurf, probably hard to find, probably not worth a great deal, if anything at all...
ski holidays
Windskisurf wrote:
......I hear they are hard to find and worth a lot now days....

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Windskisurf wrote:
I have a pair of X-Screams, the yellow ones, they were the first generation of carvers, I hear they are hard to find and worth a lot now days....

Absolute fortune to replace mine cost £8 secondhand wink
ski holidays
speed098 wrote:
Absolute fortune to replace mine cost £8 secondhand wink

Must have been the fake ones "Made in China"?... The authentic ones have brakes at an angle that sometimes catch the snow
snow conditions
so I guess there won't be a rush for my 1st gen x-screams if I post them up for sale Crying or Very sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy