Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best way to get to Val Thorens?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

Looking to do a bit of a DIY effort to Val Thorens in a couple of weeks 21st - 28th, anyone got any good tips on transfer for 2? (car hire is £200, hotel parking is £124). ideally less than £100 each?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Levi215, Out of curiosity where do you want the transfer from? And what month? I assume you have looked at the usual transfer companies, trains etc
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bens bus do it cheaper than that I'm sure.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
And there are public car parks. How many people?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnE wrote:
@Levi215, Out of curiosity where do you want the transfer from? And what month? I assume you have looked at the usual transfer companies, trains etc

Sorry Geneva, 2 people 21st March return 28th March
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@DJP23 +1

Ben's buses are about £77 return. I'm out in VT the same week - might see you on the bus Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
£124 parking! What else is included?! I assume you must be staying somewhere that caters for the Russians...

It's "only" about €70 to park indoors for a week in Val Thorens covered car parks! And none will be more than a few minutes walk from your digs.

Or you can park for nowt just down the valley after dropping your gear at the hotel. From the parking you can then ski back to Val T (via the ski lifts).

At the end of the trip simply ski back to the car (no lift pass required) and then drive ten minutes to pick up your luggage.

That will save you a few quid!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@johnE, first time I've done any kind of diy and first time to France so really new territory. First impressions are the hotels are very VERY poor for the money but keen to ski 3v or Espace Killy so unfortunately it needs to be paid.

@Bergmeister, dunno who it caters for but having stayed sin many many hotels it looks nice enough compared to some of the others.

Currently it's all in excel as a comparison vs someone like crystal
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Levi215, Why not rent an apartment and sample the different restaurants? Can fix yourself simple breakfasts. have your own gin and tonics on tap, fresh lemons, cheap beers. Simple lunches will save you a fortune (eating in Val T isn't cheap).

In Val Thorens you're unlikely to need a car - just a pain if you have to dig it out of a snowdrift. Bens Bus sounds ideal, and very cheap.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Levi215,

I have been doing DIY trips down to France for about 10 years.

I would (if I could) go on the Skimeribel sleeper coach £150ish. Catch it in London (on a Friday night) or park at Dover for £30, and catch it there. You get pretty close to eight days skiing that way. It is the most comfortable means I have used traveling to the alps, I am 6ft 3ins plus with freakishly long legs. I slept most of the way there and all of the way back! You can get it to Mouitiers and then get the Altibus for 22 euros return to VT. Second choice would be the overnight Eurostar - the same routine. You will get eight full days skiing that way - but not as comfortable in my opinion. The train and the bus station are all together and getting from Moutiers to VT is a doddle. I have ditched flying to France for loads of reasons. I find flying a massive faff. I also lose two days skiing flying. Skimeribel coach, coach, or Eurostar for that part of France. Accommodation wise have you considered the UCPA just outside VT? I hope the suggestions help.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@JayDub, @pam w, cost isn't particularly a major driver but value is.... For comparison, a top hotel in central London might be upwards of £300 per night during the week, but the hotels in France seem to be that as standard b&b some (most) of which aren't even nice....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm astonished at that price. If you look at booking.com for those dates the prices are nothing like that high.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-gb.html?sid=35cf750bd80cd688862d866b0368b524;dcid=1;checkin_monthday=21;checkin_year_month=2015-3;checkout_monthday=28;checkout_year_month=2015-3;class_interval=1;csflt=%7B%7D;dest_id=900040030;dest_type=city;no_rooms=1;or_radius=0;review_score_group=empty;score_min=0;si=ai%2Cco%2Cci%2Cre%2Cdi;ss=Val%20Thorens%2C%20Rh%C3%B4ne-Alps%2C%20France;ss_raw=val%20thorens;ssb=empty&;order=price_for_two

Vt apartments are very cheap. Cheap transfers are harder to find
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

@johnE, first time I've done any kind of diy and first time to France so really new territory. First impressions are the hotels are very VERY poor for the money but keen to ski 3v or Espace Killy so unfortunately it needs to be paid.

I do not understand. What needs to be paid? Most people use self catering apartments at a few hundred euro for the week and if they are wealthy eat out every night. If you cannot face the cleaning at the end of the week then you can pay extra for this as well.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quite! I've rented a nice apartment just down the road from VT in a hamlet by St Martin for the w/c 28th March. 2 bed, 2 bath, converted farm building, booked through a local estate agent (Agencedesalpes) for about £400 including the cleaning fee of €100. Granted, we need a car, but it's under a mile to the lifts and in a really lovely spot. Surely for 2 people you can find something at a similar price in VT. Alternatively, given that it's pre school hols, there must surely be some package holiday bargains out there.
ski holidays
Agree with the comments above - we've rented a lovely apartment on the centre of VT, with beautiful views overlooking the slopes. Only costing about £200 per head for the week.
snow report
Quote:

Why not rent an apartment and sample the different restaurants? Can fix yourself simple breakfasts. have your own gin and tonics on tap, fresh lemons, cheap beers. Simple lunches will save you a fortune (eating in Val T isn't cheap).

this is what i'm doing! i'm also going to VT on the same week, its worked out £112 per person for the apartment, i just like to drive out and back, but a few are catching the train overnight. but saying this, its only really a bed for the night.

have you looked around the other villages in 3V? if this is the case,

Quote:

cost isn't particularly a major driver but value is.... For comparison, a top hotel in central London might be upwards of £300 per night during the week, but the hotels in France seem to be that as standard b&b some (most) of which aren't even nice....

snow report
We booked return transfers from GVA to VT for £95.05 each- had to book the outward leg with Altibus, and the return leg with Simply Transfers to get timings that fitted with our flights. The route takes you alongside Lac Annecy which is pleasant enough and you also get a voucher from Altibus for a free hot drink at La Barentaise in Moutiers. Smile

You still can't avoid the usual Saturday traffic on the N90 though, so that slows the journey down.
snow conditions
Helicopter
ski holidays
@Dr John, +1
Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy