Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere vs Tignes Le Lac 10th April nursery slopes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are looking for next year and are going with some beginners in the group. We seem to be able to find accommodation just by the nursery slopes at Val at the right price. I thought about le lac originally but harder to find the accommodation that would suit the group. What would the snow be like in April in Val at the bottom on the nursery slopes is it really important to keep searching for something in Le Lac to get better snow quality?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Flexon, Which of the Val Nursery Slopes? If you mean the base of the Solaise, normally by April it will be hard on those slopes in the morning and slushy in the afternoon - but there will be snow, so maybe not the best experience for a true beginner. The Rosset slope in Le Lac normally stays in better nick for longer. If you can't find accom in Le Lac try Val Claret or Lavachet - its only 5 mins on a bus. If you give a hint on price and style I might be able to offer a few pointers.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes the soliase area was where we were thinking. We are looking for two catered chalets a 16-20 and a 12-16 (lots of families). The cheapest chalet near nursery slopes would be fine as most of us would choose the skiing over the accommodation.

Thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Flexon, I'd go with V d'I I am not sure that the nursery slopes will be that different , but most skiers will be moving beyond the nursery slopes during their first week and in my view Val D'Isere has far better green runs at altitude to move onto.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Flexon, Would you consider a chalet hotel - for all the group. Ski Total have Chalet Rosset in Le Lac close to the beginners slope (of the same name)plus others not far away, Skiworld have a number of chalets a bit further away, Mark Warner (bit more pricey) have 2 large chalet hotels, one in Lac one in Val Claret.

As for the green runs out of resort it makes no difference as the best ones - known as the green triangle - are between the 2 resorts and are equally as accessible from either.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As @chocksaway says the "green triangle" is one lift accessible from Val D or Tignes. So I don't think it makes any odds from that pov where your accommodation is. I presume your beginners will however be in ski school? If so, then which ski school and being in the vicinity of the ski school meeting place would probably be of more importance.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For me all three of Val D'Iseres areas have better runs at altitude for the near beginner than Tignes though it is true that some of them can be accessed from Tignes.
Purely from the beginners skiing point of view I would rate V D'I above Tignes though obviously things like price may counterbalance that.
Both resorts are rather expensive, though Tignes is probably a bit more reasonable.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

being in the vicinity of the ski school meeting place would probably be of more importance.

+1
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good question. I have spent a season there and like many snowheads have probably been there many times. I always think of the area like an old friend that I never tire of going back to when I want some familiar. I think it depends a little on how dedicated your beginners are in embracing the art. Have known some who have opted to enjoy the sunshine after a couple of days but others who relish the challenge. Overall both types will probably be happiest at Val. In April it will be slushy low so you will have to go higher. Olympique takes you up to an area dedicated to beginners, but there is a small drop of from the Olympique that can get busy and a bit daunting to the absolute beginner. Solaise express takes you up to some nice safe rolling blues where they can safely let go a bit to get confidence with speed. Both places then open up to other opportunities plus for the 'others' Val as a town is a bit more interesting for the non skier with it's deck chair bars and shops. Bottom of Madelenne is a nice BBQ restaurant excellently placed for the sun.
Tignes is the 'poorer cousin' to some but there are two 'in town' nursery slopes which whilst a bit soft should be good. Then they can progress to the Palafour and Combe, each time returning to town to meet any non skiers. Actually I have known people that have virtually spent the whole week on that run. Stretch out a bit and get the free bus to Val Claret for some alternatives and if they progress enough skip up the Aeroski (is is still called that now they have renewed it?) to try a few Val D'I blues. Just make sure you come back down to Tignes the same way for the beginners.
Tignes should be the cheaper option generally.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy