Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone on here with too much money?

Poster: A snowHead
Being a forum with thousands of members there's bound to be a few members who've been handed, or acquired more money than they'll ever need.
Having just read a current forum on La Grave and then done a bit of Googling, it appears that this absolute gem of a resort with legendary cult status is under threat as we know it form 2017.

What it needs is someone passionate about skiing with a fair bit of wonga. In my experience, people with a fair bit of wonga have gained it by not giving it away and are bit tight, but this is a real opportunity to do something really worthwhile with your life rather than stockpile cash.

I've never been there by there, by the way, and have no idea what's needed to keep it going so don't ask me any more questions about it. You're probably better emailing the mayor or something.

Someone high up in the insurance industry could probably help out too as I think the old liability side of things is a bit of a worry for them too.

Can you help?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm out
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
errr......
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Had a look down the back of the sofa... found 34p and a fuzzed up murray mint. Is that enough?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cameronphillips2000, calm down, take a deep breat and tell us what this 'threat' is.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Handy Turnip wrote:
Had a look down the back of the sofa... found 34p and a fuzzed up murray mint. Is that enough?

We could have a whip around..
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://www.powder.com/stories/end-la-grave-know/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@cameronphillips2000, those stories have been going round for some time.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, those stories have been going round for some time.

Exactly. The clock's ticking. We need a whip around or a raffle or something. Most of us will never ski there, but the fact we could, the fact we can dream about it is important to us. I've got £1.24 having been to the pub and the Kentucky on the way home. That's a start...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I vote we all put £100 in a LG pot and buy it! (40,000 Snowheads x 1000 = £4,000,000)
Be a good base for next year's SoPB Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Anyone on here with too much money?

admin !

[I didn't mean it. Honest, guv. Typo!]
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
KenX wrote:
I vote we all put £100 in a LG pot and buy it! (40,000 Snowheads x 1000 = £4,000,000)
Be a good base for next year's SoPB Very Happy

Are you sure that 30000 snowHeads are not Comedy Goldsmith socks?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much

Excellent riposte, monsieur Achilles!

[or should that be 'ripost'?]
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just emptied £9.75 from the ash tray in the van, would have been £9.80 but a 5p piece was stuck in the bottom
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It doesn't actually sound as if it is a lump sum of cash that is required. All that would do is postpone the inevitable. What it needs is a business model that makes sense and it sounds as if there are indeed models that might work but the locals don't want to go that way. I think it may be more of a question that they themselves have to resolve rather than somebody with too much money just propping it up for a few more years.
snow report
Right Admin, Get the buttons sorted so we can all donate £100 to the 'Save La Grave' fund.

Failing that, The Dolomites are a Unesco world heritage site. Maybe we should start a campaign for La Grave.
snow report
@cameronphillips2000, not sure how La Grave would qualify for world heritage status, but how would that help anyway?

Im guessing it was a joke about the 'donate' button, but if 10% of SHs donated then you'd raise a massive £400,000. Then what?
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@cameronphillips2000, not sure how La Grave would qualify for world heritage status, but how would that help anyway?

Im guessing it was a joke about the 'donate' button, but if 10% of SHs donated then you'd raise a massive £400,000. Then what?

I consider myself more of the inspirational motivator than the attention to detail type guy in this particular project...
snow report
I guess we could do a kind of debenture scheme where we all buy into a company that then forms a venture with La Grave. Rather seeking any major profit we are rewarded with things like first lifts up/ first runs down when we go, rides on piste bashers (I don't think the have any) , we're allowed to wear 'La-grave ski guide' jackets in bars and at other resorts. We get T-shirts and stickers that say 'I own La Grave' I'm sure the incentives are endless....
snow report
I guess we could do a kind of debenture scheme where we all buy into a company that then forms a venture with La Grave. Rather seeking any major profit we are rewarded with things like first lifts up/ first runs down when we go, rides on piste bashers (I don't think the have any) , we're allowed to wear 'La-grave ski guide' jackets in bars and at other resorts. We get T-shirts and stickers that say 'I own La Grave' I'm sure the incentives are endless....

Not sure the jackets and stickers would go down too well with the locals, you do realise they bombed the original lift station in the seventies?

There's been similar threads to this on TGR before with people offering up small sums of cash, in the end the consensus seems to be La grave always manages to bumble along.
La Grave is a special place to ski but if the lift eventually retires and there's no money to replace it I'm sure there will still be access from les 2 Alpes or you better practice your skinning technique Toofy Grin
ski holidays
betterinblack wrote:

Not sure the jackets and stickers would go down too well with the locals, you do realise they bombed the original lift station in the seventies?

There's been similar threads to this on TGR before with people offering up small sums of cash, in the end the consensus seems to be La grave always manages to bumble along.
La Grave is a special place to ski but if the lift eventually retires and there's no money to replace it I'm sure there will still be access from les 2 Alpes or you better practice your skinning technique Toofy Grin

It did go bankrupt and closed for a while though. Joking aside, I think the best way to keep it going is probably through sponsorship. It has legendary status for extreme skiing so I'm sure someone like Red Bull wouldn't mind stumping up a few Euros to have their logo on the side of the gondolas.
snow conditions
One of my most memorable La Grave days was when the lift was closed for three days.

A friend drove us round to Deux Alpes and we went over from there and had the glacier to ourselves - and we did say maybe wouldn't be a bad thing if the lift did close and you had to earn your turns as this vid shows

girosse.mp4 from Weathercam
https://vimeo.com/38917618

And for those that have no concept of La Grave, today I was ski touring up a peak that at the top gives stunning views of many classic peaks.

This shot is zoomed in on the La Grave ski area with the glacier in the video at the top

snow report
Quote:

I'm sure someone like Red Bull wouldn't mind stumping up a few Euros to have their logo on the side of the gondolas.

Shuuddderrrs in absolute horror. I can't think of anything worse and more likely to spoil what is one of the most unique places to ski on the planet. Shocked @cameronphillips2000, it is obvious you haven't been there, or you wouldn't be making comments like that one.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
Quote:

I'm sure someone like Red Bull wouldn't mind stumping up a few Euros to have their logo on the side of the gondolas.

Shuuddderrrs in absolute horror. I can't think of anything worse and more likely to spoil what is one of the most unique places to ski on the planet. Shocked @cameronphillips2000, it is obvious you haven't been there, or you wouldn't be making comments like that one.

But would it be better than turning it into a 'proper' resort? Thinking about it, I have actually been there a couple of times, just never skied there. Having seen the video above though, I'm now desperate to ski there.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy