Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

And now for somewhere different. Hakuba, Japan

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
How were your couple of days in Kamakura? Did you climb into the giant buddha?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sugarmoma666 wrote:
How were your couple of days in Kamakura? Did you climb into the giant buddha?

Ah we didn't go in the end as we swapped it for an extra skiing day after a day of rain (Wasabi farm and castle day). Didn't know that you could climb into the Buddha though. Don't tell my daughter as she was in two minds on the change of plans.
On our last day in resort it snowed and this time properly. 3ft of snow before we arrive and then after a week of heavy sunshine, some rain and a sprinkling, the snow comes back on the day we leave. Oh well the snow god's little joke I suppose. It happens.
We take the bus back to Tokyo and like native Japanese, jump on the train to the alternative of Narita for our final evening. This was one of my driving points for changing our plans as I didn't fancy the long transfer back from Kamakura just before the flight. Maybe a mistake as Narita is not the centre of activity. We arrived about 4, checked in, freshened up and headed out. There is a mention of a street that has been maintained to its original heritage of 150 years ago and another temple. After a short walk we find the street but it is now 5 and 95% of the shops are closed! We find the temple and whilst not closed the shops are and the place is deserted. After all the other places being busy this is a bit strange. It is a bit like the saying 'build it and they will come' and no one did.
So our last night in Japan and whilst interesting it is a bit of a bust. After exploring a bit more we find an interesting restaurant and get our fill of Japanese food for the last time (well until we go to the Japanese restaurant near our home Smile)
So to finish off a couple more postings to come. A summary of the skiing / resorts, the budgets and in this instance a note on the Japanese that played such a part in our trip.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
First of all budgets - I set a budget of £1900 per person excluding beer for a two week holiday encompassing 8 days skiing plus sight seeing. Well all in the £1900 did it including the beer Smile Well I didn't overdo it on the drink, average was 4/5 pints per day and a mixture of cocktails, soft drinks and shorts for my daughter. We ate well, too well really. We explored all that Japanese cuisine had to offer and were stuffed most days. Being 'old' the idea of sharing bathrooms (literally at the same time) didn't appeal so we stayed in rooms with en suites and a fairly good standard. We saved a lot on ski hire. On line options were available but we took the risk and almost halved the online price in resort. Ski passes were cheaper than the online option as well though we did benefit from some spring season prices. The question is how much could you do a hard core ski trip without frills and luxuries. Excluding the beer, staying in more basic accommodation, taking a slightly longer transfer time for a week I reckon you could do a trip for under £1K which is not far from a week in Europe but you will lose a day of skiing due to the travel time so 5 days instead of 6. However nearly 50% of this would be the flight so upping the days wouldn't cost pro rata so you could add skiing days at less than £100 per day all in including beer. Would be a shame though to go all that way and not experience some of the culture. Question then becomes, is it worth it? That makes the next post - Skiing- become more relevant.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy