Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When is Piste off piste

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A question for you that might seem obvious to some
Is a marked piste that has not been bashed after a snow fall classed as off piste by insurance company
I’ve seen runs closed after snow with tape and signs saying closed due to avalanche risk an obvious no no
Likewise runs that have not been bashed and are very inviting but would you still be insured on them if you had an accident fall etc that needed assistance or worse?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As I understand it, a piste is a designated run between marked boundaries and regardless of whether it has been bashed or not it is not classified as off-piste. Most black runs are left unbashed for example but you are still skiing on piste. There are variations on this with itineraries & I'm not sure how they are classed - I'm sure someone else will give a more comprehensive answer!

If a run is marked as closed for whatever reason and you ignore that & then have an accident on that piste, you would not be covered by insurance.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Garfield, if it is a marked run (and shown on the lift map), not closed off with tape / warning signs, and as long as you are behaving responsibly then you are most definitely OK.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As long as it's marked as a piste on the map, then the insurance company should classify it as a piste. If they insisted it was bashed, then how recently must this have happened to qualify as a 'piste'. If something is explicitly marked as closed, then they are likely to refuse a clain - although checking our policy it doesn't appear to cover this case.

If you are seriously worried, pick a more enlightened insurance company: for instance our includes "off piste skiing within local ski patrol guidelines"*; or go to North America, where everthing in the resort boundary seems to qualify as a 'piste' (it's named, marked, patrolled....).

*Interestingly they have this year also specifically list as included "Big foot skiing, XC, glacier skiing, heli-sking, ice-skating, land skiing(!), luging, mono-skiing, raindeer/dog sledding, ski boarding, snow blading, snow mobiling and tobogganning" - some of which I'm sure have been considered high-risk previously. Interestingly tubing isn't stated: presumably as it's pretty uncommon in Europe!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you folks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wonder where a situation such as was on CairnGorm in November would leave you, where only one run was officially open, pisted and patroled, yet the entire mountain was "available". Runs such as the White Lady, the M2 etc from the top partially roped off, with just narrow gates left open with warning signs, caution unpisted terrain, end of patrolled area. They are marked as patrolled pistes on the map, marked by fences and markers, but signed on the occasion as being beyond the patroled area, and skied "at your own risk", with no hazzards marked etc.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy