Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Bag With Wheels.

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for a ski bag that can hold 2 pairs of skis and has wheels for easy use at airports. Can anyone reccomend any that are especially good (or any to avoid)? Has anyone found them particularly problematic at check in? Cheers...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
what you need is a strong girlfriend.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I bought a Dakine Concourse Ski 185cm double ski bag with wheels on one end a couple of years ago, looks like a long board bag, takes 2 pairs of skis + poles + lots of other odds and ends, and keeps the weight down in my other bag, it's fairly well made and has protected my equipment despite the rigours of airline baggage handlers who managed to split one corner open, been fine since I taped it up.

AW
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've used this for a few years, no issues, grab handle is handy and seems to have decent skate wheels:

http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/activity/ski/packs_and_luggage/ski_bags/products/EH5KV.htm

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JohnHill wrote:

Laughing Laughing Previously Implied Laughing

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 29-12-05 21:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JohnHill, the reason I'm looking for one is at the insistence of my girlie who is fed up with lugging her skis around Very Happy

Cheers for the suggestions, I'll take a look at the S&R bag when I'm next near one...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex, oh yeah, I forgot about that Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sharkymark, so, you admit to having had the "stronger female companion" advice before and yet you still persist in looking for a contraption to lug equipment. There's probably nothing more anyone can do for you.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JohnHill, it's more hassle getting a stronger girlfriend than it is to get a bag with wheels on it...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sharkymark, Being a weak and feeble woman, I bought one of those bags with wheels. Mostly great - but I do sometimes get stuck in those revolving doors that some airport have as entrance/exits rolling eyes . I always get out eventually though Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
maggi, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it: hopefully it won't be me towing the damn thing anyway Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sharkymark, I have one of these:

http://www.snowandrock.com/brands/SnowandRock/products/BH5AF.htm - 165cm long
http://www.snowandrock.com/brands/SnowandRock/products/BH5AG.htm - 185cm long

It carries 2 pairs of skis and I haven't had any problem in checking the bag onto a BA flight to Vancouver. I don't know if budget airlines are as accommodating though...

The bags are reasonably well padded.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowy, tah, I'll take a look
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I also have the Snow & Rock double ski bag with wheels.

The bag itself is fine.

Where I have problems is wheeling the the thing. This is especially so if I have other luggage as well.

The bag sometimes rotates off the narrow wheelbase. I either have to reposition it, or carry on just dragging the bag along the ground.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I purchased one of these no name wheelie bags from this lot on ebay last season, and was very surprised that it was much much better than my old snow and rock one. I think they may be seconds for a name brand as the stitching on the handles was doubled over. Nothing to do with them, postage was a bit expensive, but the bag was cheap and its worked. http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Margothedog-com
snow report
Sounds like wheeled bags just throw up a different set of problems. Surely, if you're not strong enough to carry your own equipment should you be contemplating skiing in the first place?

If you don't have a muscular female partner then Airport porters... (those blokes in the red jackets) they are the answer. Say they cost £10 a go. Probably cheaper than a new wheelie bag when it's cost is amortised over the number of outings... then you've got to store the darn thing at home. And waaaaay cheaper than divorce. Better still, RENT (skis not woman).
snow report
JohnHill, sounds like a topic for another post altogether... Shocked

I'd like to think I'm less likely to chuck my skis about than a porter, plus I'm £10 cheaper
snow conditions
there are lots of rolly wheely bags for snowboards...........ditch the skis or weldthem together NehNeh
latest report
JohnHill wrote:
Sounds like wheeled bags just throw up a different set of problems. Surely, if you're not strong enough to carry your own equipment should you be contemplating skiing in the first place?

Puzzled
It's not like I'm not taking my wheely bag touring or anything!! wink

With 2 pairs of skis, and a whole load of other stuff (for padding of course wink ), my dakine bag weighs in just under the 32Kg limit. I'd say I'm reasonably fit and healthy (enough to say ski 100+ days per season), but in addition to the 30ish Kg in my other bag (I don't travel light!! snowHead ) this is more of a workout than I want at the airport!
Only trouble with wheeling it is the check-in queue at Heathrow where you have to try and manouver 6 feet of bag round the hairpins!! rolling eyes
snow conditions
stuarth, do you fly BA? If so, join exec club (free), check in online 24hrs before, assign seat, print boarding card at home then you can bowl straight up to the fast bag drop and go through... no going round the bends.

32k is quite a lot, plus all the hardware and the padding. Not having a go at you (although I should since you ski approx 75 days more than me) but wouldn't it be fun if they weighed passengers and their luggage together... that's what air ticket prices should be based on.
snow conditions
JohnHill wrote:
stuarth, do you fly BA? If so, join exec club (free), check in online 24hrs before, assign seat, print boarding card at home then you can bowl straight up to the fast bag drop and go through... no going round the bends.

Yep, I did think about the bag drop, but I worry about me c*cking it up somehow and sending my skis to the wrong part of the world Shocked snowHead
ski holidays
...the other thing about a large wheelie bag is that I can remove the skis and put her in it for a nice quiet flight Very Happy

The Fast Bag Drop is brilliant, especially at high season. You usually have to take the skis to a separate area anyway, regardless of whether fast track is used. In Heathrow Terminal 2 this is an especially dodgy area
ski holidays
Quote:

Quote:

I'll take a look at the S&R bag when I'm next near one...

They don't sell girlfriends in S&R.
latest report
Quote:

They don't sell girlfriends in S&R.

Damn! That's my plan out the window... Confused
snow report
How about one of the hard sportube cases.... we just got one (yet to use it) but the rigidity certainly seems to make it easier to roll
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy