Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Selva Ciampinoi Gondola Incident

Poster: A snowHead
Extremely windy today in Selva
A tree has fallen over the Ciampinoi gondola cable and just sitting there.
The lift stopped.
Fortunately the wind has dropped later in the afternoon.
A helicopter has lowered rescuers onto the roofs of the lower few gondolas.
The rescuers have opened the doors and got inside.
They have a rope hanging from each gondola to the ground and have been lowering people one at a time using a harness.
I can see that they have been evacuating three gondolas but they will be going for hours to evacuate all the gondolas.

I hope no snowheads are trapped.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 5-03-15 20:45; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whoa!! Exciting. Very Happy

http://www.ilsecoloxix.it/p/italia/2015/03/05/ARGx4FjD-tragedia_sfiorata_cabinovia.shtml

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 5-03-15 16:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yikes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mamma mia! Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I bet it was extremely windy in the gondolas too. Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Prrrppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shocked

Sounds like everyone rescued OK, based on google translate of the linked article.

Wonder how long until its up and running again
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sounds like a pretty slick operation - which is reassuring.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Imagine if it had been a chair. A lot less pleasant sitting outside in a gale. Puzzled
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Peter S, Imagine if had been a poma. Would have just turned round and skied down Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Unless yours had been the head the tree had fallen on, or the one sliced off by the wires flying around. wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wonder how the Gondola stopped? A tree falling on the line would not necessarily indicate a derailment and would not therefore stop the rope before the next Gondola arrived. Sounds scary.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, you watch too many horror films
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:
I wonder how the Gondola stopped? A tree falling on the line would not necessarily indicate a derailment and would not therefore stop the rope before the next Gondola arrived. Sounds scary.

I would imagine they have sensors which detect any sort of abnormality in the rope feed and halt it automatically.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think they have sensors that detect the cable bouncing on the pylon rollers. These sensors detect movements of the cable less than that necessary for derailment.
ski holidays
Well they detect derailment of the cable from the sheeve but not necessarily a 'bounce'. I assume in this case it did trigger a derailment but it makes you think about a situation where the tree falls more gently across the line ?
latest report
@abominable, @alex_heney, No doubt these lifts do have their own fail-safe systems but I believe that on this occasion it was nothing more technical than a Marmotte - which had been nibbling pine nuts in the tree - being catapulted into the rollers and jamming the mechanism
snow report
Quote:

you watch too many horror films

a couple of people were injured, one by the wire I believe, when there was a minor accident to a T bar in Tignes a couple of years ago. A tree would cause a lot more damage.

Do marmottes climb trees? In early March? Laughing
snow report
Quote:

Do marmottes climb trees?

Do bears go to the lavatory in the woods?
ski holidays
https://www.facebook.com/astor.selvavalgardena
ski holidays
http://altoadige.gelocal.it/bolzano/cronaca/2015/03/05/news/duecento-turisti-bloccati-sulla-funivia-del-ciampinoi-1.10986163#gallery-slider=undefined
snow report
Looks from the picture as though there is no derailment but the gondola does appear to have hit the tree. Perhaps there is some sort of overload sensor on the motor that may detect increased resistance on the line ?
ski holidays
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31760605
snow report
Interesting. According to the witness on the bbc item it didnt shut down automatically but was stopped by the operator who spotted the fallen tree. Thank goodness for that.
snow conditions
As I recall, that gondola is not that far off the ground for most of its length. Can you imagine being stuck on the Penken gondola in Mayrhofen in high winds for a long period of time?? I've been on the penken when it stopped running for about 5 minutes and we were not far from the top station and way above ground level. Scary!!
snow conditions
jimmybog wrote:
As I recall, that gondola is not that far off the ground for most of its length. !

Correct. for most of it's length it's within the a tree lined avenue. The last third goes steep.

As mentioned, I'm surprised that the first gondola didn't just push it off of the cable. The motors must be sensitive to sudden resistance and shut down. Leitner are a clever bunch of rich Swiss b*****s. Very Happy
snow report
I remember looking at the ladder and roof hatch on the Marmolada Cable Car. I'm not wuite sure how they could swing the ladder down if there was a problem. It was so crammed there was no room to swing a gnat.
ski holidays
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
I remember looking at the ladder and roof hatch on the Marmolada Cable Car. I'm not quite sure how they could swing the ladder down if there was a problem. It was so crammed there was no room to swing a gnat.

They'd probably have to open the doors to let some people out to create a bit of room.... wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
once they've disposed of all the rucksacks containing everything including the kitchen sink, the marmolada cable car will be half empty
ski holidays
Anyone ever been rescued off a chair?
latest report

I've fallen off of a few, never been rescued. The Wife usually walks away with a look of disgust. Confused
snow report
And to think I was there a week ago Confused

@Mollerski, Think she's trying to say something?
snow conditions
Funny the way media call people who go skiing as "holiday makers" as piece on Sky News just did. I consider it a more of a sport or activity trip rather than a holiday. And surely some of those in the gondolas would be locals.
snow report
Leitner is 'rich' Italian company with out reach branches in Austria. They also own prinroth the piste grooming company.

moller ski it sounds as though it did not shut down automatically Sad
snow report
I guess until they get the Ciampinoi gondola lift back in action after the incident the Sella Ronda anticlockwise link in Selva will be out of action?

(although I guess you could take the skibus from Selva down to St Christina and take the lifts from there up to the top of Ciampinoi)
snow report
both the dolomiti superski and the val gardena website indicate that it is open
ski holidays
Aigulle du Midi cable car caught fire a few years ago. Took all day to get the punters out via helicopter. Shocked

http://www.thelocal.fr/20130515/tourists-evacuated-as-mont-blanc-cable-car-breaks-down
snow report
andy wrote:
both the dolomiti superski and the val gardena website indicate that it is open

In that case I guess they must have inspected the lift system after the incident and given it the OK.
snow conditions
I was involved in something similar in February 1999 at Bruson, small ski area opposite Verbier. There had been a huge amount of snow and Verbier had been shut for skiing for 3 days. We heard that Bruson was open so headed over by ski bus and bought a day pass. Got on the slow old 2 man chair then after a short while a tree a short distance ahead of us toppled, weight of snow I guess, across the power line running close and parallel to the lift. The power cable was severed and sparked and lashed about in the air for a short while.

The chair lift stopped and we just sat there for a long time just waiting. Eventually the chairs stuttered backwards very very slow and intermittently until we reached the start where we we helped off the chair, given our pass money back and that was it.

The scary bit was when the power line was whipping about, had visions of getting fried if it had touched the cableway or a pylon😳
ski holidays
nice
they usually have a back up genny for those cases
severed power shouldn't whip about arcing and sparking like in the movies, and indeed even if the live bit did hit the chairlift, it's instant short to earth. you wouldn't feel a thing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy