Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt Itineriaries

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

just a quick question concerning the Zermatt itinerary runs (Triftji, stockhorn etc).

Have never been skiing off-piste but I am intrigued by the status and fame of these itinerary runs. Are they really difficult/ or a no go zone without a guide? or would it be possible to "casually" ski a few of these safely?

Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can certainly ski that area without a guide, @Snowisawesome. I've skied it in the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s (not on my most recent trip to Zermatt). The ski patrol won't open those slopes unless they're safe. There are very long lines of sight up there, so on a clear day you'll see where you're going.

The runs up there used to be patrolled, and they were additionally fed by peak-to-peak cablecars that connected Gornergrat to Stockhorn (sadly long demolished). It's more remote now, so ski it with a friend or two ideally. It'll be ungroomed, so considerably more challenging than Zermatt's groomed stuff.

David G
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You certainly don't need a guide. They are a normal part of the ski area. It is simply that they are ungroomed and marked by a single central pole as opposed to pistes that have poles either side.

You need to be a reasonably good skier to do them. They feel a bit remote as you take an ancient cable car that traverses a ridge to get there. So you are well away from piste skiers. I have done them this year on my own (as well as several times with friends). There were always others within sight. However I am not sure I'd want to be up there on a bad weather poor visibility day all on my own.

Others with longer experience in Zermatt than me might disagree but I think those itineries have been good this year - and they opens at roughly the usual time. Which makes it even odder that the itineries off Rothorn have not opened up (I am hoping that is "so far" but time is running out)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys for your responses!

Will definitely test the runs out.

One more question; looked at some of the youtube videos for the itineraries and as you mentioned, they are marked by a single central pole. How do you know the boundaries of the ski piste then? Is it easy to get lost? Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Snowisawesome, If you follow the poles, then you can't get lost. wink The ones I've done have been obvious, just like pistes but un-pisted.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Again it gets down to weather. On a good day you'd need to be doing something odd to get lost. In poor weather I guess you could lose sight of the poles and get lost. Probably best to have done it at least once in good visibility before doing it on a poor visibility day - or of course do it with someone who knows it.

The real risk with getting too far from the poles is that there are a lot of rocky outcrops - you really don't want to be hitting them. First time down try to stay 20 metres either side of the poles I guess.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snowisawesome wrote:
How do you know the boundaries of the ski piste then?

The answer is in your original question - they are NOT pistes, they are Itineraries !

Pistes have edges, basing, patrolling, potholes and rocks marked etc.

Itineraries are suggested routes for people who know what they are doing when not on pistes. If you have to ask...you need to do lots more research.

Particularly, if you have always skied on pistes, you need to be aware that the conditions off piste will be lots more variable. You could find grabby fresh snow, breaking crusts, or more likely on itineraries, massive moguls with rocks showing through.

Be careful - these are mountains not play parks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Snowisawesome, it's been several years since I was in Zermatt, but we skied pretty much all of the resort's itinerary's with our kids then aged 10, 11 and 13 so the terrain isn't too difficult. The biggest problem that we had was with the T-bars in the Triftji area - in a couple of places the springs were too strong for their weight and literally lifted them off the ground in places.

None of the itineraries are groomed so you have to be confident with bumps and, possible, unfavourable snow conditions like crud, powder, ice, spring snow, etc. You also need to look out for rocks, thin patches and other natural hazards. Make sure your first trip is on good visibility, keep your eyes peeled for danger and have fun. I'm not a great fan of groomed runs, and the extensive area of itineraries is one of Zermatt's greatest features IMV.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@lampbus, I agree with what you say but I am not sure there is lots more research the OP could do. If someone is comfortably doing black runs and is comfortable on the edge's of pistes in any conditions they are probably going to be OK on the Stockhorn itineraries.

I have never been on "proper" back country off piste (although I must rectify that soon). I have only ever had one lesson on skiing itineraries. But I am fine on Stockhorn - I am a fit but not very sporty 54 year old who has been skiing 9 years.

I think one of the trickiest bits about that area is getting into it. The whole approach creates a sense of anticipation. The big cable car up from Gant to Hohtälli looking out at the area you are about to ski. Turning right in a small group while the bulk of skiers turn left to go down the piste. The ancient cable cable car over the Hohtälli-Rote Nase ridge. The bizarre elevator down to the top of the run. Feeling very much "out in the mountains" by now, there is no turning back and down is the only option. However you are now faced what is probably for most the hardest bit - getting into the itinerary. The drop off Rote Nase is steep (steeper than that of the higher Stockhorn that you reach later by drag lift). Staring into for the first time it is not even obvious how you get in. It is one of the few times I feel like a leader - because I know how to get in having done it plenty of times. I am often the first in - going out sharp left then hair pin right, hugging the wall as I traverse over to the poles.

The good news is that there are lots of other itineraries in Zermatt (although sadly some are not open this year). Anyone wanting to do Stockhorn should do them first. If you are OK on them you will probably be OK on Stockhorn - with the well-made warning above that you are much more open mountain here with rocks, drops etc so you need to watch carefully where you are going. Personally I think Hermetji (number 58 ) off Schwarzsee is technically trickier than Stockhorn- but that is because the final bit through the trees leaves zero room for error. Of course it is much shorter.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm off to Zermatt early April and I was wondering much the same as the OP, so thanks all for the advice above, very useful. I'm travelling with my wife, who is a bit out of practice having not skied for a few years and my 4 year old daughter, so I'll be doing these alone. I've been down quite a few of the itineraries in Verbier before, albeit with an instructor the first time so navigation wasn't an issue.

Hopefully the weather will be clear enough to see my way down the first time in these and not worry about getting lost.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Whitters, if you like doing the itineraries down to Tortin you'll like Stockhorn. I was in Zermatt last week with a friend. He often does Tortin (I've done it several times) but this was his first time on Stockhorn. His view was that the ability level needed was about the same (Tortin also has an interestingly steep entrance). But Tortin turns to moguls much quicker as more people use it (nothing wrong with moguls for fun mind). It is effectively a route to Siviez from various parts of the area. Stockhorn is more remote (although it doesn't really take long to get over) so only those who really want to play there make the trip. Stockhorn down to Gant is longer than the routes down to Tortin (after which the itineraries become a gentle blue piste). Also in Stockhorn the Triftji and Stockhorn drag lifts allow you to stay up there playing if you want to. Even if you don't you should definitely head right (following the poles obviously!) over to the Stockhorn drag lift so you can do the descent from the highest point. Stockhorn is 3532m compared to Rote Nasa, where you start, at 3247m.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JohnMo, thanks, much appreciated.

I enjoy the likes of Tortin when the snow is in decent condition - I don't mind the bumps so long as they aren't concrete-like boulders, and enjoy the sense of achievement in getting down in reasonable shape and (relative) isolation of the likes of Mt Gele and Gentianes. As you say, the toughest part of Tortin is when to drop in...the steep entrance or traverse along before biting the bullet and diving in.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks guys for your reply, really appreciate it. Will definitely test them out - in good weather!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Heading out in 10 days - any idea what piste and off-piste conditions are like? Thanks.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Time wise how do able on a good weather day are the zermatt itineries for someone staying in cervinia?
On the piste map they don't look very "connected" to the Italian side, I'd be skiing with a group of mixed standard skiers so wouldn't want to have to rush them.
snow report
@betterinblack, an early (9am) start would do it. I'd allow a couple of hours to return from there to the frontier lifts between Zermatt and Cervinia, and make sure of your weather forecast.

So I'd aim to be at the Gant/Hohtalli area by 11am for access to it, and be out of there by 1pm. Maybe skip restaurants and picnic it. Have a contingency plan, in case anyone gets into trouble.
Contact details for Zermatt short-notice accommodation: http://www.zermatt.ch/en/book . The tourist office is next to the train station.
ski holidays
Thanks that was exactly what I was hoping to hear
ski holidays
@betterinblack, as KM says the linkage is fine. It is also quite a nice ski over (less so returning).

When you cross over from Italy stay left (well don't ski back into Italy! But after that stay left). That will take you over to piste number 70 (Schusspiste). The good thing about that is that about two thirds of the way down you can branch off left onto the itinerary 67 (Garten Buckelpiste). That will give your group a warm up on a fairly easy and short itinerary.

As you come down to the bottom you will see two lift stations (with a restaurant in the middle). You need to get over to the right hand one. If you have come down the itinerary as I suggest you'll be on the "wrong" piste. But just ski over the off piste section to the right hand one. Go round the back of the lift staton and you'll see black piste number 62. That takes you down to Furi. At the lift station there you want the lift in the right hand side - the Riffelberg Express. At the top of that head left down the ramp and get the chairlift up to Gifthittli. At the top turn left and ski down always following the signs for Gant. If you want a nice diversion, just after the Grünsee restaurant turn left down the black piste 25 (Berter). That is a really nice run through the trees. At the bottom get the chairlift back up from where you came and this time continue down to Gant.

At Gant you want the big cable car on your left that will take you up to Hohtälli. If your group really are mixed you might want to try them out first. Turn left with everyone else and head down the piste 28 (White Hare). Follow the signs to Gant again. However about a third of the way down on your right you will see itinerary 30 (Mittelritz). That is a really good itinerary to try your group out. It is good fun in its own right. It is the same mountain as Stockhorn so is broadly similar skiing. But it is quite a bit shorter and not so remote. That takes you back down to Gant.

When you are going to go the Stockhorn sector at the top of the Gant-Hohtälli lift turn right when most are turning left down the piste. That will take you to the Rote Nase lift where the itineraries are.

When ready to come back you need to get the cable car up to Hohtälli again. This time follow the signs to Riffelberg. Unfortunately this is the worst piste in the whole area - it is basically just a horizontal track for a long way. It is like that track that takes you over from Cervinia to Valtournenche. Once you get to Riffelberg ski straight on heading for Furi. At Furi you need to take a short lift from the lower lift station to the upper station. There you can get the Matterhorn Express lift back up to Trockemer Steg from where you can get back over to Italy.
snow report
Great stuff JohnMo that looks like the route finding done.
Cheers Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Really great thread this, we've just booked for early March, sounds like the Itineraires are great fun, with them being controlled is off piste gear required?
snow conditions
I'd say yes as you're off piste.
ski holidays
Levi215 wrote:
Really great thread this, we've just booked for early March, sounds like the Itineraires are great fun, with them being controlled is off piste gear required?

Itineraries well worth doing, if you're coming from Cervinia JohnMo's route above was excellent (2 seasons ago).
Transceiver, shovel and probe required (although I can't remember if the were checked by liftee)
ski holidays
Quote:

Itineraries well worth doing, if you're coming from Cervinia JohnMo's route above was excellent (2 seasons ago).
Transceiver, shovel and probe required (although I can't remember if the were checked by liftee)

The lifties don't check for avalanche gear. I'd say the majority of skiers down the itineries don't have avalanche gear with them (might have transceivers on I suppose but don't have backpacks with shovel and probe). Same as the itineries at Verbier. I am not making any comment as to whether that is OK or wrong. If one has the gear of course it makes sense to carry it. Itineries really are a half way house between pistes and back country skiing.
snow conditions
Interesting, we don't have the gear nor have real off piste experience but enjoy the ungroomed aspects and skiing variable / moguls maybe one for an instructor day see what they think....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy