Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for touring twin tips

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I'm a skier from the southern French Alps (living in the UK atm)I am looking for a new pair of skis for 60%touring and 40% resort skiing (when at resort I ski on groomers, off piste & park). I also love to build backcountry kickers. My previous pair of skis was Amplid C7s 185cm : extremely powerful, heavy, piste-oriented twin-tips. Impossible to tour with, and not that great in the park.

So my criteria for these new skis are the following:
-182-188 cm length (I am 6ft3/190cm and weigh 85 kilos)
-Weight of pair <3600g for touring
-Rocker & Camber
-Between 88 and 110 mm underfoot
-No ridiculously large turn radius
-Here's were it gets tricky... As I said I like trips to the park and building kickers. So I would ideally want twin tips. Or at least enough tail rise to ski & land switch. Yep, I know, it's not easy.

I've done a bit of research myself, and randomly came across a pair of fatypuses, the d'lirium. 96 underfoot, 3300 grams for the pair at 183 cm, and twin tips. However there are no reviews whatsoever, and I have no idea if fatypuses are worth anything at all. I've never known anyone who owned some. Does anyone know if the model itself is any good or if the brand as a whole makes quality products?

I've also come across a few other models
-Faction agent 90s (not sure they have enough tail rise...)
-Icelantic Shaman Skny (a tad heavy and stiff)
-Asnes Tind Topptur (Norwegian brand that no one's heard of, can't find any kind of review)

Does anyone know anything about the skis I've listed? Are Fatypuses any good? Do my criteria seem right for what I'm planning on doing?

Any other skis you could suggest? Or am I looking for a ski that doesn't exist?

Infinite thanks for your help!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your answer could be quiver-killers: 2 skis & one set of bindings which you swap depending on what you're doing that day.

(The other way is qk's for 1 ski + 2 bindings: I've got qk's in a set of skis which I swap between telemark and alpine usage snowHead )
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Your requirements of touring ski weight and park abuse, in a ski that size are an usual combination. 188cm skis at 1.8kg per ski is DPS Pure territory, which are a carbon powder/touring ski. I have not heard of any of the skis you mention, but they are likely to compromised in one or more of your requirements.

The Line SFB would be perfect match apart from the weight. I would also suggest 2 skis or quiver killers, as any touring binding capable of park abuse is going to be in the 2.6kg plus a pair category, negating your requirement of light skis when touring.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Amplid Rockwells
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitedot Carbonlite Director is the closest match I can think of and would probably be perfect, but you'll be paying a lot for the weight savings.

Down Skis Throwdown 110 would work well, but they're 3800grams for the pair. If you can live with just tail rocker rather than a full twin, the Countdown 110 shaves around 100g off that.

Look for the new 4Frnt Kye Peterson pro model... The middle size will probably suit, but it will be heavier than you want.

Same with Black Crows Atris - which would probably be perfect other than weight.

The Faction Candide models are also pretty light for the size...

Honestly though, you don't need to go that light for touring. Circa 2kg a ski is perfectly realistic for reasonable touring performance. Much less than that and unless you're dropping serious dollar for carbon magic (Whitedot and DPS), you'll just get a flimsy ski that'll suck downhill and will break.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for all your replies.. I'm new to snowheads, and boy is this a better forum than epicski!

I could probably swap between Marker Griffon bindings I already have and new lighter touring bindings, although it would be a bit of a hassle.

I will look into all of these models... I admit I might be exaggerating with the weight, up to 2kg a ski should be fine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A second vote for Whitedot Director Carbonlites. Have been skiing a pair this year - hugely versatile and great fun...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@vieuxchaillol, I was going to recommed the Directors also (even if I do sell 'em wink ). They ski very short so at your stats I'd go for the 191's. The trad construction is a bit damper but if your budget runs to the CarbonLite version you'll appreciate the weight saving on the up.

And a dual QK insert mount would allow you to switch between alpine and touring bindings etc Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Whitedot One would seem to be a good choice
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm just back from three days testing or should I say trying out a whole range of touring skis from 90mm wide to 110mm on various bindings from new KingPins, Vipecs and Plums.

I would say that the Black Crows Corvus Freebirds could be a ski worth considering, certainly put a smile on my face and the right sort of profile you are after.

As well as the Black Crows the Scott 110 Cascade was good fun to, and I also tested it climbing as well as going downhill.

Whitedot was not there at the test and my mate does have the Director but is it a twin tip rocker profile ?

If you're Southern French Alps etc where I live Serre Che another option is the DPS as I know that there are quite a few models in their range to fit your requirements, a guide that was down in Val Maira touring a few weeks back was also using them.

You could give the guys (Etienne) at Riquet Sports here and have a chat with them (tell them Gavin suggested you call), and the guys do a lot of touring and really know their stuff!

What was obvious from being at the test, for most people now, is that you can now use one ski for touring and off piste as both boots (most manufacturers are producing tech boots aimed at the off piste market with a bit of touring thrown in) and bindings are now so versatile / resilient - more on the test here
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weathercam wrote:
I'm just back from three days testing or should I say trying out a whole range of touring skis from 90mm wide to 110mm on various bindings from new KingPins, Vipecs and Plums.

I would say that the Black Crows Corvus Freebirds could be a ski worth considering, certainly put a smile on my face and the right sort of profile you are after.

As well as the Black Crows the Scott 110 Cascade was good fun to, and I also tested it climbing as well as going downhill.

Whitedot was not there at the test and my mate does have the Director but is it a twin tip rocker profile ?

If you're Southern French Alps etc where I live Serre Che another option is the DPS as I know that there are quite a few models in their range to fit your requirements, a guide that was down in Val Maira touring a few weeks back was also using them.

You could give the guys (Etienne) at Riquet Sports here and have a chat with them (tell them Gavin suggested you call), and the guys do a lot of touring and really know their stuff!

What was obvious from being at the test, for most people now, is that you can now use one ski for touring and off piste as both boots (most manufacturers are producing tech boots aimed at the off piste market with a bit of touring thrown in) and bindings are now so versatile / resilient - more on the test here

Good shout, I fondled the Corvus Freebird while in the Black Crows office last night: VERY pretty, and light! Not available 'til next season though. Only 183, but Black Crows seem to measure quite long so probably more 185 in most brands. However I don't think the freebird version has a twin tail?

Director is a full twin btw.

I don't think any of DPS's skis are really designed to go/land backwards...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999, trouble is you start going light and that's a recipe for disaster maybe for what @vieuxchaillol might want for his riding.

I didn't get the chance to try it but the Armada Declivity revamped for next season looked up to the job.

Mind you suppose you saw other Black Crows that would be suitable as well ?

@clarky999 I was going to drop you a PM to see if you fancied a day up there as it was so close to Insbruck etc
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Weathercam wrote:

I thought they didn't make a freebird verison of the corvus? If they do that would be a perfect match. The regular corvus might be a tad heavy.

Also, might I be right in saying the Declivity (2014/2015) seems a bit too flimsy for resort skiing?

DPS and whitedot were among the first names that came to my mind when I started looking... In an ideal world I would probably go for the Directors, but they are a little too expensive for a poor student like me. And there is a bit of a length issue as well – 191 would be too long, whereas 181 would be too short Mad

@clarky999 Down skis are a GREAT shout, didn't even cross my mind. Throwdowns 110s are sold out though Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, I was thinking about going (had a semi-invite from one of the Fall Line team), but didn't really have the time during the week to make the drive over worth it. Give me a shout next time you're in the area though!

Yep, several more that would fit! Only the Atris that's available now though. The new Anima for next season would be great (2.1kg per ski IIRC), and even the Nocta drops to 2.1kg per ski for next year!

@vieuxchaillol, the Freebird Corvus comes out next season. It'll be epic for self-powered missions on steeps and couloirs, but maybe less ideal for backcountry freestyle... Saying that I don't really think the current Corvus is ideal for BC freestyle, yet a mate (who skis for Black Crows) has no problem flipping, spinning and corking off various (usually large) features.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh and by the way, what about bindings? I take it that if I want a light-ish binding that can do touring and resort skiing, there's only one option.. Marker F12s? Am I right? Confused
snow conditions
@vieuxchaillol, have you read my article ?

Things are a changing...........

http://stylealtitude.com/ski-touring-the-percentage-game.html
snow report
@Weathercam Great article. Nice photos as well. And yes, I did have a look at the KingPins, but they are twice the price of the F12s or F10s... And would I be right in saying they're not as versatile?
snow conditions
Neither the Kingpin or F10/12 are rated by Marker for Park/Freestyle riding. I am not sure that any touring binding would rated for Park/Freestyle.

Unless your boots have tech fittings, discussing Kingpin's or any of the other tech bindings is not valid. If you can use tech fittings, maybe the Dynafit Beast 16 is an option.
snow report
I am not necessarily talking about extensive Park use, just the odd trip really. @PowderAdict
And I'm not really planning on buying new tech boots. So yeah, I won't be buying tech bindings right now that's for sure.

So I might go for F10/F12 and then use my Jesters as well for rougher use. This may be a stupid question, but would I be able to fit F10/F12 into the drill holes left by Jesters, without having to re-drill?
snow report
vieuxchaillol wrote:
Hi all

I'm a skier from the southern French Alps (living in the UK atm)I am looking for a new pair of skis for 60%touring and 40% resort skiing (when at resort I ski on groomers, off piste & park). I also love to build backcountry kickers. My previous pair of skis was Amplid C7s 185cm : extremely powerful, heavy, piste-oriented twin-tips. Impossible to tour with, and not that great in the park.

So my criteria for these new skis are the following:
-182-188 cm length (I am 6ft3/190cm and weigh 85 kilos)
-Weight of pair <3600g for touring
-Rocker & Camber
-Between 88 and 110 mm underfoot
-No ridiculously large turn radius
-Here's were it gets tricky... As I said I like trips to the park and building kickers. So I would ideally want twin tips. Or at least enough tail rise to ski & land switch. Yep, I know, it's not easy.

!

I've been testing the Whitedot One Park today - brilliant and perfect for your requirements

Not that I want to (or indeed can) ski switch bur I'm just after a good all mountain ski for days too icy to enjoy my Whitedot Preachers
ski holidays
i can only recommend the k2 shredditor, (were the kung fujas?)
Sidecut: 133mm-102mm-127mm
Radius: 19 Metres (179cm length)
Base Profile: All- Terrain Rocker
Ski Core: Wood Core with Triaxial Braiding
Binding: diamir pro touring ones?

i used to ski and tour on black diamond crossbows with diamir explore bindings

these k2's handle amazingly well, easy to carve , easy to smear, the double rocker thing works sooooo well. and also still fat enuf to rip in the powder,
snow report
oh and as for touring,.... ive completed the silvretta ski tour on them and 5 dayer around the vanoise, there orsum. no need to worry bout light weights skis being crap in crap snow, the k2 s allow you to enjoy snow what ever the conditions
snow conditions
You have another issue. Where would you mount them? If you go for a centre mount for the park, it will give you a long tail which would not suit either powder skiing or kick turns.
latest report
i will get in the loft and see where mine are mounted as i found going switch no problem and felt good in the pow too, hadnt thought about the kick turn issue, as yes the K2s are harder to flick on a kick turn than the BD crossbows... but like you say that might be the mounting
snow report
Black crows Atris would seem to fit your requirements, albeit a touch heavy (but I use mine for touring). I also happen to have a set for sale Smile
snow report
what length are your atris?
ski holidays
178's
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy