Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

must do runs in les3vallees

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Jerusalem always gets mentioned but I always preferred the next red, Praimint.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pylons is the best black in the 3V
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi there snowheads... back from my first ever trip to Alpes and 3 Vallees and man... that place is huge. It's so big that it's depressing. Can cause anxiety and panic attacks knowing that you cannot cover all the slopes in 6 days. I'm used to the Pyrenees and Carpathians mind you.
So, been there last week - first one after the school holidays. Weather wise we've been under an anticyclone for whole week meaning almost no winds, first days really hot during the day (+10 to +15°C) and under 0°C nights. Not the best snow one can dream of, but fun could be had.

From all of the domain, I did not venture lower into Courchevel (La Praz, Tania...), will have to do that in another trip and I just had to let go Jean Blanc, Jokeys and other recommendations I've got. I did not trust the snow to be in decent conditions so I've preferred to spend more time at higher altitudes.

First day I've checked Mount Vallon and enjoyed Campagnol. So much that I've did it like 4 times. Combe du Vallon was a bit crowded and the snow wasn't that good. More or less same area I liked Venturon via Cote Brune chair lift. Mouflon was a nice surprise to close the day. I mean I was on my way back and somehow entered that slope by accident, expecting a blue-ish run.

Second day was spent mostly on Courchevel. I loved Suisses (extended with Mur and Cave des Creux), so much that in the last day I came back and did 2 runs in a row on it. Creux is impressive but it has to be done first thing in the morning. I live in Barcelona and after 10am that slope reminded me of Las Ramblas. Was that crowded. Monts Russes is also fun as a snowboarder if you hit the right speed: as fast as you can go.

Third day I went to Jerusalem first thing in the morning. Bad choice. The slope wasn't groomed, the snow was all icy and I had serious trouble controlling my board. And it hurts to start the day like this. I was very disappointed. On the way back with St. Martin 2 chair lift I did see Paramint and I was like... mkay... let's try this. WOW, after the first run I was mind blown, I mean I hit one of those rolling hills with such speed that I flew for like 10 meters (landed perfectly) and scared the poo-poo out of some nearby kids. I can't remember how many times I repeated this run. Spent the rest of the day on the same part of the hill. David Douillet is seriously underrated: was empty and snow in awesome conditions. Leo Lacroix must be snowboarders hell. I also did 1 blue run in Masse 1 area, was getting late and could not explore more.

Forth day I did venture into Val Thorens. Lac Blanc (+Béranger) was my favourite. As a boarder I enjoyed the terrain (read kickers) you could access with Boismint chairlift. I also checked Col from the list continued with Genepi. Hit Chocard (+ Portette) and head back to Meribel via Menuires sector and probably did the longest run on the trip taking Grand Lac + Pelozet to the bottom of St Martin 2 chair lift.

Fifth day I had to come back to Val Thorens and check all the summits in the area. I took Col de l'Audzin from Cîme Caron (btw... that place is breath-taking), Falaise from Col de Rosaél and did some runs in Orelle. I took Bd. Cumin on the way back. Big mistake, I took a ski pole (from my gf) to push myself around and ended up totally wasted from the effort.

Last day back to Courchevel and did Combe de Saulire (also underrated IMHO), Roches Grises was nice but the chair to get there kinda slow. Ended the day with some fun runs in Mottaret and in the Moon Park on the ski/boarder cross section.

I guess my faves were: Paramint, Suisses, Campagnol... Combe de Saulire... Col de l'Audzin... Lac Blanc... David Douillet... Creux... fuuu

In conclusion...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glad you had a great time, I guess that the lesson you learn is that many pistes change in character depending on grooming, time of day, snow conditions, sun and temperature. For instance I love Jerusalem if conditions are perfect, partly because it is slightly off the beaten track and gives a sense of having the piste to yourself. However in the past I have done it in the morning and it has been perfect and in the afternoon it has been rubbish. Likewise this year I did Suisses with good light in the late morning and it was gorgeous, but the next day, slightly earlier in flat light it was horrible! Tip for Vallon is that I think they piste the runs on alternate days, so it is worth looking down from the lift to decide which run looks better, also if you are as decrepit like me stop a few times and take in the view, and if you are a snowboarder, ideally don't stop over the brow of a hill, in the middle of the piste ;.)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You were warned about Boulevard de Cumin Very Happy
Have a look at our car crash on your favourite Campagnol

http://youtube.com/v/wOivqHLhHAg
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am on my forth trip to the 3v and I still have barely scratched the surface Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last year we covered every run in the 3 valleys in the week, it takes some dedication and planning, but it is possible!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One that I try to avoid is Marmottes in Courchevel - every time I have done it, it has been heavily mogulled and busy. Do Park City instead.

If you go up the Suisses chair take a look at the Suisses black on the left and see what condition it's in - when groomed it is a lovely run. Access is via the first 100m of Marmottes.

Agree with all of the other recommendations (positive and negative) on here. The runs off the top of the Pyramides in Courchevel 1650 and also beautiful, and the ones to the left of the drag are usually deserted
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can't believe Christine above VT hasn't been mentioned. A blast of a red.

For the best back country, on-piste feeling, Combe de Rosael off the back of Cime de Caron is the most isolated piste in the 3Vs. But not for the faint hearted! Long, properly black and I've never skied it bashed, so make sure your knees are feeling flexible.

Dou des Lanches, from Col de Loze down towards La Tania, is also black but always groomed and always pretty empty - great for pushing yourself.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@grazzenger, must agree about Combe de Rosael, first did it when it was still an itinerary but as a piste it's so remote, I don't think many people do it so it remains in good condition. Must do it again this weekend Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Off to the 3V first week of April.....as I'm not very good at reading mountain conditions, which runs should I aim for at what time of day? Or it is more uncertain than simply finding North facing slopes? Doesn't look like being much if any new snow and temps climbing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DavidYacht wrote:
I guess that the lesson you learn is that many pistes change in character depending on grooming, time of day, snow conditions, sun and temperature.

Yup, I did not expect otherwise.

Chattonmill wrote:
Last year we covered every run in the 3 valleys in the week, it takes some dedication and planning, but it is possible!

Agreed: it's doable if weather allows all ski lifts to be opened

Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Have a look at our car crash on your favourite Campagnol

Not sure what happened, I hope everyone was ok.

Big Dave wrote:
...Do Park City instead.

I did the lower bit of Park City connecting Aiguille du Fruit and Marmottes chair lifts multiple times. The snow was in horrible conditions but it seamed like a faster way to reach top of Suisses.

I haven't checked Combe de Rosael (nor Christine). A moguly black is not that fun for my snowboarding level unless I can skip the moguls by using the slope edges Skullie
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anywhere listed here:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dennis.summerbell/skiing/skiingindex.html
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dav wrote:
Jerusalem always gets mentioned but I always preferred the next red, Praimint.

Same here. Although my opinion of Jerusalem was tarnished by it being full of balls of lumpy ice, kind of like skiing over a field of potatoes, when I was on it, and yet every other slope in the 3 vallees was in top condition at the time. Really bizarre.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy