Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BSS Election of Chair to Alpine, Speed and Telemark Committee

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
BSS are sending out constant reminders about this upcoming election (deadline 4th April) and I genuinely can't make up my mind whether to vote or to deliberately abstain.

Speaking from an alpine perspective, I am frustrated that the overwhelming mandate for change apparent in last years vote seems to have gone by the wayside and I really don't want to endorse a continuation of the status quo.

I know that some positive things have happened in the last year with increased direct funding for alpine athletes and representation at championship events, so not all is doom and gloom. However little seems to have happened to address fundamental financial issues and shortcomings in talent development. Basically there are too many policy documents and not enough practical help (financial and non financial) for athletes, coaches and parents. Furthermore I have not seen a coherent strategy for the development of the sport.

Speaking to others leaves me with the impression that apathy is the overriding sentiment. Are either of the two candidates capable of delivering or should I mark the ballot "none of the above"

What do the snowheads think?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What's BSS?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
g444eneva, I voted for Tony Traynor on the basis that I have met him and seen him running races a fair number of times. As Alpine makes up the majority of registered athletes it can't hurt to have somebody else with good knowledge of the racing system on this committee.

I have no idea what this committee does, I know several of the other members of it but don't see any minutes published anywhere. I have asked about the reasons for certain policies recently but have never got answers.

Who would you prefer to elect ?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Red Leon wrote:
What's BSS?

BSS are the governing body for British Snowsport. The Alpine, Speed and Telemark Committee are responsible running these 3 particular disciplines within BSS. Last year there was (in the context of a petty small pond) a huge controversy when the overwhelming winner of the election was dismissed following "unprofessional" remarks made about the difficulty in obtaining the actual election results. Google it if you want details...there may also be a thread on snowheads. Basically the alpine section issued a huge vote of no confidence in how the sport was run.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:
g444eneva, I voted for Tony Traynor on the basis that I have met him and seen him running races a fair number of times. As Alpine makes up the majority of registered athletes it can't hurt to have somebody else with good knowledge of the racing system on this committee.

I have no idea what this committee does, I know several of the other members of it but don't see any minutes published anywhere. I have asked about the reasons for certain policies recently but have never got answers.

Who would you prefer to elect ?

I don't know who to vote for and was underwhelmed by their "personal statements". In principal I would prefer someone with an alpine background (Traynor) but don't know either well enough to form a strong view. I was hoping to get some more input to my decision by starting this thread.

At the moment I will probably not vote as I don't want to give the impression of agreeing with the status quo - the winner failing to get a strong mandate may help it to get reopened in the future. Of course we will only know how big the mandate is if the results are properly published - history is not comforting in this respect.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 2-03-15 16:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Of course we will only know how big the mandate is if the results are properly published - history is not comforting in this respect

I don't know the organisation but it sounds as though there may be a case for an overhaul of governance altogether. What possible excuse can there be for not providing the results of elections. Even Zimbabwe provides "results".
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The result was made public but in such a way that it was not possible to see the size of the mandate. In the subsequent review it was acknowledged that this had been done to "spare the feelings of the loser" - who was the incumbent. The winner used an unfortunate choice of words when he questioned this and was dismissed as a result.

I still don't know how or whether to vote this time.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
According to the BSS website voting was to end on 4th March and the result will be announced tomorrow (9th March).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
g444eneva wrote:
The result was made public but in such a way that it was not possible to see the size of the mandate. In the subsequent review it was acknowledged that this had been done to "spare the feelings of the loser" - who was the incumbent. .

Which is totally ridiculous! If an individual chooses to stand in an election (whether it's for the first time or an incumbent standing for re-election) then they should expect the number of votes they gained to be made known, if their "feelings" can't take the shock of getting a low vote then they shouldn't stand in the first place!! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Makes interesting Googling. Makes Fifa look well managed.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Makes interesting Googling. Makes Fifa look well managed.

+1
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Got an email with the announcement of the results. Tony Traynor elected, Adrian Pery will be deputy. The total votes cast and those for each candidate was reported.

I had presumed that Adrian Pery would stay on the committee whatever the result, he is the Telemark rep.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy