Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heated Gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
under a new name wrote:
@thedrewski, I think the point is that they don't actually get hot, just that your hands don't get cold.

Well, they kinda do. When I was testing them after first getting them sent to me I tried the various settings but wasn't wearing them. After about 5 minutes on the top setting they did seem noticeably hot to the touch.

Obviously this was done indoors, without the accompanying low temps so it's not a true representation.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I skied with someone using heated gloves last season on an a Freshtracks off piste week.

We did the usual transceiver practice on the first day, but the chap with the heated gloves was really struggling with the signal direction when it came to his turn. After a little while it was discovered that the batteries in his gloves were causing the problem. He removed his gloves briefly and that solved it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@richjp, It is not just the search that is effected, it is also the person being found.

My Black Diamond Cayenne gloves have a warning in the cuff regarding the reduced accuracy of the search if the buried persons gloves are turned on. Those lost seconds might be the vital ones.

I know that the search process on my Mammut Barryvox Pulse is significantly effected by my heated gloves, to the extent that when the gloves are on, it cannot accurately locate a transceiver 2m away. When the gloves are turned off, normal detection accuracy is restored.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting. I must test with the Mrs' gloves
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PowderAdict,

That is interesting. I don't think that after our guide realised what the problem was, that he mentioned that there could be an effect with regard to the buried person, or I may just have missed that part of the conversation.

The person on our trip had developed Raynaud's Syndrome or something very similar as a result of chemotherapy. It was a side effect that he was warned about beforehand that might happen, so heated gloves for him were essential. It may have been the first time he used them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@richjp, I think the knowledge is spreading as heated gloves become more common. I've been heli-skiing a few times, but only once has the guide asked if I knew that they should be turned off when skiing. Most other guides/instructors have expressed an interest, tried them on etc, but never comment on potential interference issues.

Interesting comment about the chemo, as I had it in my late teens, and now suffer from cold hands when skiing (I'm also quite skinny at 6ft and 150lbs, which doesn't help). I'd spent a fortune top end £100ish regular gloves, but they only work if there is some heat in your hands to retain. Without heated gloves I may well have given up skiing. However, with heated gloves and boots, I've often been the only person doing laps on the lifts when it has been -15C and below.

With regards to the transceiver interference, it can easily be simulated by holding your switched on smart phone in the same hand as the searching transceiver.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PowderAdict, i am wondering why the heaters cause any interference, it's DC current but maybe the control electronics get involved.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, A wire carrying an electric current produces a magnetic field. Heated gloves contain many wires, carrying admittedly low currents, so will generate magnetic fields. Any additional magnetic field, within the area of the field generated by the transmitting transceiver, may alter the field lines that are followed by the searching transceiver.

The standard separation rule for smart phones is 50cm (which is actually quite difficult). But you should also be considering magnetic buttons on jackets, magnetic bite valve holders on hydration packs (eg. Osprey), magnetic locking on carabiners (eg. Blackdiamond Magnetron), magnetic lens retention on goggles. Many of these may be very minor, but they all tend to be in jacket pockets next to your transceiver.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PowderAdict, i'm just surprised that the modest e-m field generated by the gloves is strong enough to cause issues.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, presumably its not a dc current. To cause that much interference it must have high frequency switching, so technically not dc but a hf waveform. In fairness to cause that much electrical noise I'm guessing they use an em field to warm the gloves at your finger tip, rather than having fine wires running inside the weave. If anyone has a failed pair it would be interesting to dis-assemble them..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Strax, here was I assuming a simple resistive heating. I may be able to send you a bust one if it hasn't been binned. It feels like a thin wire around the fingers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy