Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Extreme cold grips the Alps: temperatures down to -20C to -30C

Poster: A snowHead
The Alps are approaching the New Year holiday weekend with skiers struggling in exceptionally low temperatures. Many medium to high ski areas are reporting cold as penetrating as -15C to -20C, with temperatures on the glaciers as low as -25C to -30C.

[The maps below will refresh automatically. They forecast temperatures down to -25C on Thursday 29 December]
Snow-forecast.com 24-hour temperature forecast (Eastern Alps):

Click to enlarge
Purple indicates -25C

Western Alps 24-hour forecast:

Click to enlarge
Full temperature and snow forecasts: www.snow-forecast.com

Are you out there? How are you dealing with the cold?

Frostbite prevention and treatment:
OffpisteMag.com
Couloir Magazine
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not too worried, take an extra layer and face mask.

Snow should be in very good nick..!!
I'd be more concerned with will there be more snow..!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
im sure our northern posters arnt bothered by that.. thats balmy spring morning to them
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sounds pretty similar to temperatures last January ????????
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CANV CANVINGTON, Just had a 6hr power cut. No problems.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timberwolf, Yes - pretty close. Very cold and no-one staying on the glacier, but only going for the view today and straight down. Any exposed skin is very cold immediately. Since you ask I had on:
fleece/neoprene leggings + fleece leggings + heavy duty Millet ski trousers
Silk long sleeved shirt, cotton polo neck, fleece polo neck, windproof shirt, fleece polo neck, very thick fleece polo neck + fleece gilet + North Face jacket.
Double fleece hat, 3 pairs of gloves, goggles......
Oh yes and I tried the Morrisons air activated heated insoles, which seem to work OK!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It was pretty cold for PG and me on the Bellecote glacier in La Plagne today. Easily -20, and probably colder, and a high altitude wind that picked up while we were on the top chairlift. I can't remember being that cold before; even had white spots appearing on my nose, so it was time to leave after admiring the view and taking a few photos.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Charlotte,

You must really feel the cold to have to have all that lot on...!! Shocked

If its still cold next week I will take a merino base to add to my microfleece, polartec 300 mid and hard shell...
I will take a neck gaiter and /or mask for the face
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT,
Quote:

If its still cold next week I will take a merino base to add to my microfleece, polartec 300 mid and hard shell...
I will take a neck gaiter and /or mask for the face

Standard kit for January skiing IMV Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
As Rob says it was bitterly cold at Les Arcs and La Plagne today, although I was reasonably comfortable most of the time, having taken precautions similar to easiski's! I do need a larger pair of gloves though, one that can accommodate both inner gloves and an air space. My feet were much warmer than usual, having given up on ski socks (too tight a fit) and using just a normal pair of lambswool ankle socks. Otherwise lots of layers, not tightly fitting, and the crucial woollen neck gaiter, that combined with a helmet and goggles meant my face could be entirely covered when needed...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If its that cold I suspect a few cases of frostbite will be visible in the valley soon..
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
-15 to -20 whilst a bit chilly is tolerable. If you go to the Banff area thats the kind of temps you can expect normally with the odd -30 to -40 every now and then.

Don't know if its the difference in humidity but -15 in Banff doesn't feel that cold and one base layer and ski suit was enough to keep you warm (for all our party). Once it hit -25/30 than face mask and extra layers were necessary.

Due to risk of frost bite slopes/lifts get closed when temps reach -35/40 as much for lifties sake as anything else.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The coldest temperature recorded in Switzerland last night was -35C in La Brévine - known as the "Siberia of Switzerland", according to this report from SwissInfo.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here's a skier who has just completed a record-breaking trek to the South Pole in temperatures as low as -50C.

Maybe Wolfgang Melchior, this intrepid Austrian, has some serious insulation tips for us!

Report from BBC News.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT, Yes - I really do, but of course I was teaching and that's more like standing outside than skiing. Shocked
ski holidays
Just returned from Zermatt and some days last week where very cold where the temperatures during the day dipped to -33 degrees, but with wind chill ,people and snowforecast.com where saying wind chill to about -49 degree.

They shut the Klein lift a few days not due to wind but just due to the temperatures.

But an excellent time was still had Very Happy
latest report
Turned warmer now - over freezing this morning. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Yes, a 16°C rise in temperature over the last 24 hours in Bourg! 40cms of fresh snow, took a while to dig the drive out this morning!
snow conditions
PG,
Quote:

40cms of fresh snow, took a while to dig the drive out this morning!

I bet the hill is shut while that pile stabilises rolling eyes
ski holidays
PG wrote:
40cms of fresh snow

So the GFS forecast was spot on! Typical that it should snow as I leave, but hopefully back next weekend to take advantage of improved snow conditions Smile
snow report
Still snowing, rain below around 1100m at the moment. snowbunny, I was surprised at how much of the domain was open when I got up there this morning. Far more than on the La Plagne side as it happens.

Absolutely great skiing, although I've got to go up without an expensive camera next time. Almost no visibility at times, unpisted runs all over, bumps you simply couldn't see even as you hit them. I saw some spectacular face plants! (Yet to fall over this season - maybe I'm being too careful after last Feb's mishap).

rob@rar.org.uk, I reckon there will be another 10/15 cms come tomorrow morning. It started snowing pretty hard around 2pm and there is still the occasional shower.
snow conditions
PG,
Quote:

Absolutely great skiing, although I've got to go up without an expensive camera next time. Almost no visibility at times, unpisted runs all over, bumps you simply couldn't see even as you hit them. I saw some spectacular face plants! (Yet to fall over this season - maybe I'm being too careful after last Feb's mishap).

You were most fortunate to be able to take advantage of the conditions. Poor rob@rar.org.uk, had to go home, and read about it ! If you are not falling over, my personal view is that you are at greater risk of injury, since you are not engaging with the slope, to the best of your capability. Then again, I know nowt, and I have never seen you ski wink Very Happy
snow report
It was -22C in Canazei (Dolomites) on Thursday, I had 2 pairs of thermals, a poloneck jumper, face mask....in fact I could barely move for layers and I was still shivering by the time I got off a chair lift! It was -16C at 4.30 p.m down in the village when we came down, copious amounts of Vino Caldo were required to get the circulation going again snowHead
ski holidays
snowbunny wrote:
PG,
Quote:

You were most fortunate to be able to take advantage of the conditions. Poor rob@rar.org.uk, had to go home, and read about it ! If you are not falling over, my personal view is that you are at greater risk of injury, since you are not engaging with the slope, to the best of your capability. Then again, I know nowt, and I have never seen you ski wink Very Happy

I took your advice and faceplanted a couple of times today. Trouble is I was attempting to disengage from the slope at the time wink Took me a while to find my ski after the first triple piked somersault.

(A few more centimetres of light snow down in Bourg this evening... it all adds up!)
ski holidays
PG,
Quote:

I took your advice and faceplanted a couple of times today. Trouble is I was attempting to disengage from the slope at the time Took me a while to find my ski after the first triple piked somersault.

Embarassed Please ignore everything I say, since I what I know about skiing could be entered onto a postage stamp. Perhaps a 2nd sport is calling you....err gymnastics wink

You are right to be concerned about breaking ribs and worse, if you fall onto your camera, if it's in your backpack. How do the pro photographers cope? Are you wearing a back protector? Do preformed rigid backpacks exist?
I have done very bad things in years gone by, like skiing from the top of Lanchettes to Le Pre with several bottles of wine in a backpack...certainly focuses the mind, but it was no fun at all.
latest report
I can vouch for how fricking cold it was, I got frostbite in my big toe in Laax. Woo! Numb for five days.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy