Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Becoming a MUCH better skier in the UK?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

So my trip to Austria draws to a close. I am slightly better than I was at the end of last year, but not considerably so. This was Week 3 in my ski career for me.

I can get down a lot of things, but struggle a bit with moguls and very steep slopes. I get down them, but with a significant traverse.

I really want to feel in more in control and develop a much better technique. One week a year is going to mean slow progress.

So, how can I progress in the UK outside these one-week annual trips?

The Snow Domes seem to be far too small and not steep enough to progress on.

Are there any other options?

FYI, I did do a private lessons not while here and didn't think it was that amazing.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rossyl, Have you actually tried having some coaching at an indoor snow centre? I have and it's made a significant contribution to my progress as a skier and, more importantly, to my enjoyment when actually skiing in a resort.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks.

Any recommendations? Also, the costs seem quite high for lessons.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Iski wrote:
@rossyl, Have you actually tried having some coaching at an indoor snow centre? I have and it's made a significant contribution to my progress as a skier and, more importantly, to my enjoyment when actually skiing in a resort.
+1
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rossyl, Where are you based ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@rossyl, @Iski and I both have lessons at Hemel with Inside Out Skiing, in particular with Scott or Rob (who are, respectively, skimottaret and rob@rar on here). Worth every penny. Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Iski wrote:

I can vouch for that. Good advice. Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pedantica wrote:
Worth every penny. Smile

Definitely! When you consider how much your ski holiday costs you, it's rather disappointing when you're struggling and can't make the most of it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@geepee, Thank you! snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Surely it'd be better to have two seperate skiing holidays, or even a 2 week single holiday either with private lessons than spend ones money on the odd day in a fridge. Don't get me wrong, lessons in Hemel (for example) are worth it, but nothing beatsxaweek of intensive training in all conditions.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Doesn't look like Inside Out are running a course at Hemel for a while.

Anyone had experience with Warren Smith Academy, as they seem to be running courses.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pedantica, how do you travel to Hemel for your Inisde Out sessions? I'm thinking of booking tomorrow's off piste skills clinic but the last – and only time – I went to Hemel was when a friend drove us there. My only option now is to use public transport, so was wondering if you have done that trip from central London and have any tips (e.g. is it easy to get a taxi from Hemel station to the snow dome)? I'd be hauling my own skis and boots, so I have to factor that in on peak hour Tube travel if I'm to get to Euston station early enough. Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Zero_G, how do you " off piste " in a fridge?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, havent a clue, hence needing lessons wink

In all seriousness, skills are skills, whether performed on the equivalent of a very short, gentle blue piste or an off piste line in Cham. And I can always do with improving my skills. Also need a skiing fix. It's been two weeks since I left Cham and will be two weeks before I'm back there again.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, I think it's about learning and practicing off piste skills and techniques e.g. jump turns are particularly useful off piste.
I've seen a bloke lapping hemel non-stop for about an hour just doing jump turns. He was pretty good at them to begin with.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 1-03-15 8:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I did a bumps day with Warren Smith last year. Only the second time I've used an indoor slope and wouldn't personally go unless there were bumps as I would need to start doing one legged spinning to keep myself amused. They put you in groups and can accommodate all levels. It was all about technique in the morning with group synchronised drills in the afternoon. For a beginner I would definitely recommend it.
snow conditions
@rossyl, lessons at hemel definitely worthwhile but so are lessons out in the snow. Various outfits, including Inside Out run intensive weeks. One private lesson can make a difference but mainly for more advanced skiers who know just what needs tweaking. Most of us need more, with focused practice in between.
ski holidays
An intensive week may well be the best option, but I've not enough holiday and don't feel too keen on the idea. As I think I might struggle to have fun.

Doing it in the UK would be easier.

That said there seems to be a bit of a question mark as to how much you can learn on a tiny slope.
snow report
@Zero_G, Pedantica, usually drives to Hemel. However, I have seen other Hemel users comment that they have got a taxi from the station to the Snow Centre.
snow conditions
@rossyl, An intensive week can be fun, even for a relatively inexperienced skier. My brother, who only started having skiing lessons (indoors) in November 2013, went on a week long course in Italy in March 2014 and really enjoyed it.

I'd also agree with what ALQ, andZero_G, have said about working on your skills at an indoor slope. I started skiing seven years ago, but between then and now had two years when I was unable to go away skiing and only skied indoors, doing a variety of clinics. The next time I skied in a resort I was surprised and really pleased to feel a noticeable improvement in my technique.
snow report
rossyl wrote:

That said there seems to be a bit of a question mark as to how much you can learn on a tiny slope.

You can learn A LOT! I can vouch from personal experience.

Of course if I could choose, then I would ski on a mountain rather than in a snow dome almost every time. Most of us, unfortunately, don't have that luxury.

However If you are learning/practicing technique and skills, especially at slower speed, then a Snowdome is pretty much spot on.
snow conditions
Weekends in the Sottish ski resorts too?
ski holidays
I have heard SkiPlex are supposed to really help with technique they are based in either Reading,Basingstoke and Chiswick. It's an indoor slope but they can gradient it to your level. http://www.skiplex.co.uk/home.aspx
ski holidays
rossyl wrote:
Doesn't look like Inside Out are running a course at Hemel for a while.
We run courses all year round, every month of the year. At the moment we don't have our calendar loaded with dates beyond the end of March, but we will be adding our Spring and Summer dates as soon as we are able to check the events plan at The Snow Centre.

Obviously there are limits to working on a short, relatively gentle slope. However, with a bit of creativity it is possible to challenge and develop the skills of even very experienced skiers. One of the most technically demanding days I've had while being coached in the last five years was a day at Hemel when we brought in a former Olympic skier and top level coach to do some staff training for us. We tend to think of indoor slopes as a bit like a golf driving range - not as nice as playing your favourite 18 hole course, but provides a great environment for working on your basic skills. We have had great success at helping skiers at just about all levels put in place good foundation skills, Touchguru being one who has made brilliant progress by taking advantage of the training opportunity offered by the slope at Hemel.
latest report
@Zero_G, yes, I will be driving. Can you get yourself to St John's Wood tube station? If so, I can pick you up around there. The only difficulty, at that time in the morning, is estimating with any degree of accuracy at what time I'll get there. I leave home around 8.00, that usually gets me to St John's Wood at about 8.30/8.45. However, I won't be driving back straight after the clinic, as I'm meeting a friend for a drink/bite to eat near Hemel.*

PM me if you want a lift, with contact details. I thought I had your mobile number from the bleep test, but can't seem to find it.

*or you're more than welcome to join us. Meeting Kitty here, at 5ish: http://www.papermillapsley.co.uk/ Iski is definitely coming along, maybe allanm too.
snow report
Pedantica, that's a very generous offer, thank you! Just need to see if I can reschedule tomorrow's physio appointment without having to pay full whack (which would amount to the same cost as the off piste clinic). Will PM you if I can go.
ski holidays
The basic problem with becoming a MUCH better skier is that it is simply very hard work... Day after day repeating easy slopes, doing drills, early starts, snowdomes, dry slopes, skipping lunches etc. Also unlearning the movements that the average intermediate picks up simply to survive!

It is also absolutely heartbreaking! I reckon the biggest barrier to progress in skiing is simply that anything you do on snow feels wonderful. Watching the videos on the other hand can be very painful, especially when you have convinced yourself that you are an expert carver for example... I remember throwing a huge huff the first time I saw myself on film!

All of the major British providers of ski training seem to provide a very high quality product. Try and do a week long course for your next holiday- or why not try skiing in the Summer on a glacier? The sooner you start proper training the better!

Good luck!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 1-03-15 16:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
ZeroG, I wouldn't discount the snow domes... Like JamesHJ says.. its just brutal hard work. After some lessons have a clear idea what you need to be doing and just repeat, repeat, repeat. If you know what you need to be doing the time flies in and you can analyse every turn. When I was training myself I would spend 3 hour sessions in there just lapping (easily spent most of that time on the poma tho!).
And having just spent a week in Tignes, 3 days with a guide off piste.. all that excruciating time spent on the Glasgow snow dome has paid off!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sure, I agree that a fridge can be extremely helpful, and while I can see that you can teach the general motion of e.g. jump turns, I'm just a little unconvinced that a specific "off piste" session will be that helpful. I'd also not want to put my newly acquired jump turns into first real practice on e.g. Poubelle... "It's OK, I did this course, what could possibly go wrong?"
ski holidays
haigie wrote:
ZeroG, I wouldn't discount the snow domes... Like JamesHJ says.. its just brutal hard work. After some lessons have a clear idea what you need to be doing and just repeat, repeat, repeat. If you know what you need to be doing the time flies in and you can analyse every turn. When I was training myself I would spend 3 hour sessions in there just lapping (easily spent most of that time on the poma tho!).
And having just spent a week in Tignes, 3 days with a guide off piste.. all that excruciating time spent on the Glasgow snow dome has paid off!

I believe you meant to direct your response to rossyl, not me.
ski holidays
@rossyl, Join the ski club at your local artificial slope - indoor or outdoor. Go along to their training sessions every week for a year or more and you'll end up a lot better skier. Many clubs also run alpine trips, so go on those too and continue your improvement on real snow.
snow report
Get a job in Scotland and ski every weekend?
ski holidays
lynseyf wrote:

I know you have skis on your feet but is that actually skiing? Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
It wasn't too shabby a few weeks ago!
ski holidays
@rossyl, what's been said, plusit's also really beneficial to arrive in the resort fit enough to be able to take on the training all day. This might sound obvious and doesn't directly answer the question but is a significant barrier to many people getting the most from a week.
ski holidays
@JamesHJ, certainly worth training indoors. Completely disagree that all British providers provide a good product. A lot have a very poor reputation within the industry. Rightly IME. Best to discuss with people who have skied with different providers and try different providers yourself.
snow report
lynseyf wrote:

Skiing more does not necessarily mean skiing better. You need someone to direct your skiing down the path which is appropriate to your level and aspirations. If you are capable of doing this, then great, but for most skiers (even the very best) the input of an external expert is very important.
latest report
@RobW, completely agree but for most people time on snow does lead to improvements, even if it's only getting more comfortable on skis and so finding it easier to make those improvements.

@Zero_G, NehNeh last weekend https://instagram.com/p/zX3E9kmJ9j/?modal=true snowHead
ski holidays
@TTT, who has a bad reputation? It might be more useful to the OP to provide recommendations or alternatively who to avoid, as it stands your comment comes across as a meaningless jibe at someone, no idea if I'm supposed to know who it is or not??
snow conditions
@lynseyf, like every industry and country there are those who have a good and bad reputation. Therefore like anything I would recommend that people shop around, try different providers and speak to people who have experience of different providers, particular those who are going through or have been through the training system. It is well know in the industry that customers only go with certain well iknown instructors because to quote they do not know any better. Look at the qualifications and speak to people with varied experience rather than take note of the marketing. I'm not going to say on here as people will just defend their choices but it soon becomes apparent with experience and speaking to knowledgeable people. If you speak to some of the instructors at an indoor snow centre for instance they should be able to advise.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy