Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who's at fault?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Situations like this are why I disagree with the 'uphill skier is always wrong' crowd. It just isn’t possible to react to someone deciding to cut across the slope in front of you from the other side of the run since it is totally outside of your field of vision.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

it is totally outside of your field of vision

at 10/11 seconds the guy should have been in the skiers "field of vision". He was just going too fast - if he'd been in control at that point he could easily have put in a right turn to give him a wide berth.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dogwatch wrote:
speed098 wrote:
@dogwatch,

If you think that slope was busy I would hate to find out what you think of the fridges or even the home runs at the end of a day.

The last time but one I went to a fridge at a weekend I said to myself, never again. And the last time, I remembered telling myself the time before. Sometimes I'm a slow learner. I'd generally file home runs at the end of the day under "necessary evil" rather than "pleasure" although a busy Santons goes under "never again".

I stopped going to the fridge (CFe) after the ski test there. The price was ridiculous, durring the summer upto and including October you could get anything from 15 to 20 runs an hour without really pushing it, once the season started and they decided to hike the price if you where lucky you could get about 8 runs an hour and it was like feeding time at the zoo. Told myself would not go again until the price went down to the summer price if I do go again but have no intention to go every month durring the summer if that is what they think is good business.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Basically if one chooses to ski the slope with high speed wide turns he has to ensure that his trajectory doesn't cross the path of another skier. With big turns a skier from an uphill one quickly becomes a downhill skier and wide turns means that the original downhill skier making tighter turns and occupying less room on the slope might not be even aware of him - he's looking ahead as he should. I think there is something in FIS rules about it too. So when big turns is your cup of tea learn to scan your path well or ski the gates - most resorts have GS courses and organise races.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There was a 'near miss' higher up the slope and the collision was likely to happen. Skiers all doing their own thing at different paces and angles down a slope without any regard for what others around them are doing. Reminds me a bit of the pedestrian, bike, bus situation around Victoria at 0800. It's amazing really that it is permitted to happen. If the skiers were working on the slope and subject to the Heath and safety at work act they would have to sign a self disclaimer.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm with laundryman - skier making big turns was going too fast for the situation. It was not so much that the piste was busy but there were several people on it skiing very different lines - the chance of them coming into conflict was high.

I do think it matters who is at fault. Not to punish or shame but just because it's only by thinking this stuff through that people will avoid collisions in the future. IMO people are to ready to accept "it's just an accident" on the piste and on the road - the reality is while generally no one WANTED to cause an accident, a lot of the time a big contributory factor is that somone couldn't be bothered to take sensible precautions with line or speed, or simply turning their head to check what is going on around them - "ah sod it, it'll be alright" is the attitude of many. The famous line that cyclists and bikers hear as they are waiting for the ambulance is "sorry mate I didn't see you" which of course leaves the unsaid bit "because I didn't care enough about other peoples safety to look properly".
In this case the skier making big fast turns should have looked more carefully and or turned down his speed. That person is often me but I really do try to give myself a chunk more room for error (mine and others) than he did.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy