Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Menuires driving route advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've driven to the alps a fair few times but always in to Geneva first and hence always headed to Bourg en. Bresse then east. If we have then gone on to resorts we have always gone via Annecy.

This year we'll be driving straight to Les Menuires and according to the route planners the options seem to be:
1) Down to Lyon, skirt round the city and past the airport then E70 via Chambery and Albertville. This has more autoroute but is much longer in terms of distance.
2) Past Bourg en Bresse then peel off at Amberieu en Bugey and take a road that drops in to Aix les Bains. This looks like it might be a windy mountain road.
3) Head East after Bourg en Bresse and take the A40 then cut the corner on the D1508 in to Annecy.

The main issue is one of our kids is travel sick and we have to be really careful on the mountain roads.
It's hard to tell if option 2 is one of those types of real windy roads or just the equivalent of a country road here.
Same for option 3.
However, does Lyon get snarled up on a Saturday as the route goes past the airport and we would probably be in prime transfer time? So would we end up getting stuck and then fighting traffic all the way past Chembery and Albertville?

Anyone gone via any of the above routes that can offer some advice on what the roads and traffic might be like on a saturday in March?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@ish303, well would be Option 1 for us - likewise have sick kids

The new bypass around Lyon (A432???) avoids the worst of Lyon and unlikely to be bad in March
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Your option 2 isn't a mountain road, it is just the equivalent of a country A road in the UK.

I don't really go anywhere near Aix les Bains though, just follow the road into Chambery and pick up the autoroute to Albertville.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rjs, our travel sick daughter only needs a country A road to make her feel sick these days. Our fix is to put her in the front passenger seat but appreciate that that may not be an option for @ish303
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ish303, if you look at this topic there might be other problems tomorrow, but perhaps you are in a week or so.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=117683&highlight=
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
option 1.

If you are going tomorrow the landslide will be a big big problem.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not going for a few weeks yet so hope that is cleared!

@geetee we do have him in the front for local driving but for this he will likely be in the back.... with bin liners on the seat back and in the foot well!

Most of the times on country roads near us he is fine, but sometimes still causes issues Happy

I think I'm leaning towards option 1 but have never been via Lyon so don't know if it's notorious on transfer days or not.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does he take Kwells?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ish303, Avomine - worked for me, worked for boy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I always use the autoroute. Well not really true once I went along side the lake to Albertvile. The traffic in Annecy was very slow and it took an hour longer than the longer route on the motorway.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Haven't tried kwells or avomine as he is only 3 (admittedly never heard of them until now as the wife said he'd need to be older before he could take anything). But after looking just now you can take JoyRides from 3 which I think are supposed to be good according to my parents who use them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ish303, my (now strapping 15 year old) could - and did - throw up before reaching the end of the road, when he was younger. We found Joy Rides helped enormously, and he's now more or less grown out of travel sickness (along with most of his clothes rolling eyes ). It was definitely worse on winding mountain roads, so we'd have him sitting on a large towel, with a bag close at hand, as well as complete change of clothes, wet wipes etc.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good job you weren't planning to get up there today. Rockmageddon....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy