Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow+Rock gear - worth the extortionate prices?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm thinking of buying up some base layer stuff from Snow+Rock. However, their prices seem to be a little eye-watering. Does anyone have experience of these guys? Are they worth the cash? Obviously they're selling other people's branded stuff but I'm wondering if it can be sourced quickly (i.e., this week) at lower prices.

cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you're near to a Decathalon store (Lakeside or Canary Wharf, London) they've got some decent base layers and also micro fleeces at very low prices. I've been using their cycling undervests which are excellent.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Roberto. I got all my stuff for the last two seasons at Decathlon, but thought I might go a bit upmarket this year Happy Looking at the Snow+Rock website, maybe I won't wink

Thanks for reminding me that there's a Decathlon at Lakeside, I was wondering how on earth I was going to get to Canada Water with the Jubs line up the spout.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought some S+N baselayers in August when they were having a ski stock clear out Smile

They are expensive generally, but I like S+N as i've been shopping with them for years for climbing and walking gear, and they are quite good at service on the whole..

On the whole you do get what you pay for - obviously this isn't always the case with various factory outlets and discount stores
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good point, eddy. Probably late December is the wrong time to be shopping for this sort of stuff Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Try www.Tchibo.co.uk . Base layer £6.99. can't get better than that.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sorry, they don't appear to have any ski gear left!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm whispering this .....be at Aldi's 9am this morning
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't understand who buys all these expensive base layers from ski shops. It must be the lure of the fancy boxes they come in because most of them aren't anything special for the price youpay. wink

You can buy decent thermals, some labelled as designed for skiing, in Marks and Spencer.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ian bloomfield, Most of the stuff had gone by 10, but I did pick up the cagool jacket. Best thing was the lever corkscrew, I've seen the same design (and poorly made) for nearly 10 times the price. And the wind-up torch is definately a backpack/toolbox item.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowy,

Not too sure about this. I have an Eider microfleece plus Oldo base fleeces and some cheaper ones and the Eider blows them all away as far as warmth goes, no question. I'd love to buy cheaper bases but I will be searching out microfleece type performance
and will pay for it on the basis of my 'experiment' listed above.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use HH stuff which I get from their own Outlet Stores, which is a bit cheaper. I also have some Lowe Alpine Dryflo tops, worth every penny Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There certainly is a 'get what you pay for' syndrome. Cheap gear likely will be just that, spend a bit more and it does seem to pay. The difference between 'a bit more' and 'alot more' is probably a little bit muddy.... I wont buy the really expensive gear now, but I go for the solid middle of the range stuff.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As for base layers, I tend to use Helly Hansen. I use them not only for skiing but also running and work. I know the HH ones are a little dearer than others but from my own experience using them and other types I find the HH ones do exactly the job I want and with me using them so much I find them to be more hard wearing than other types that soon begin to show general wear and tear. So sometimes the cheapest is the dearest in the long run because you need to replace them more often however this isn't always the case. Each to their own.

In answer to the original post when I have used snow and rock I have found their customer service levels to be very good and satisfactory. However once I have found the product that I want to purchase I then try and source it online - it works, I saved over £150 on my girlfriends christmas present.

Alpinebullit
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

it works, I saved over £150 on my girlfriends christmas present.

wow. lucky girl - must have been a v generous present!
snow report
Pam W

She is a lucky girl, unfortunately I have to leave her at home when I ski every year, she doesn't really get on with the mountains but she's happy for me to go do the skiing. So with me having a nice snow holiday after xmas every year I reckon I'd be in big trouble if the present wasn't just what she wanted.
latest report
Snow and Rock... Great prices for hard wear (skis/bindings/boots etc.) I was going to buy in the USA but everything (except for clothing) is more expensive - I don't get it!
snow conditions
John Gaynor is a large outdoor shop at Ambleside in the Lake district, they have a online shop and factory outlet selling last years and other end of the line branded goods at fantastic prices. Up here in the cold north they cannot be beaten.
snow conditions
OK, so here's an update. I remembered that there's a Decathlon in Romford, which is nice and close to Snow+Rock. Unfortunately, when I drove past, it had shut down. Not a good start. Then I went to Snow+Rock, which has to be the least well organised shop I've been to in a while. It makes Accessorize look like a model of German efficiency. I finally found the £50 base layers hidden behind some other coats and whatnot, but I didn't even really bother to look because, well, if I'm paying fifty quid for what is basically a nylon t-shirt, I want it displayed properly, with loads of information about why it's better than a thirty quid nylon t-shirt or my five quid cotton ones. I took my leave of this place, and I won't be returning.

Decathlon in Lakeside finally turned up what I was looking for. They also had some Columbia ski wear there, including a nice jacket at £99. I tried it on and then realised that it had the zip the wrong way round - i.e., orientated as it would be on a ladies jacket. It was definitely a mens jacket, so either they just happen to design that model that way, or it was a factory second. Other Columbia stuff was orientated correctly, but was suitably more expensive.

Decathlon had, as usual, either sold out of pretty much everything I wanted to buy, or had at least sold out of my size. That shop really needs to work on its stock ordering process. However, if you're unfeasibly small (XS) or unfeasibly large (XXL) then you can get some great bargains. For those of us who are Ms (or, post-Christmas, Ls) they're usually sold out. Ho hum.

I think I'll buy any more expensive, branded stuff in resort. It's bound to be cheaper.

Light dusting of snow in Andorra...can only be a matter of hours before a big dump. *crosses fingers and prays*
ski holidays
Alpinebullit wrote:
In answer to the original post when I have used snow and rock I have found their customer service levels to be very good and satisfactory. However once I have found the product that I want to purchase I then try and source it online - it works, I saved over £150 on my girlfriends christmas present.

That's one of the things that is killing off ski shops in the UK, and meaning that prices are higher than usual.
People come in, use them for advice, to try things on, etc, then walk out the door and buy them online.
snow conditions
InaSpin wrote:
Snow and Rock... Great prices for hard wear (skis/bindings/boots etc.) I was going to buy in the USA but everything (except for clothing) is more expensive - I don't get it!

Generally, boots are the only things that are more expensive in the US, I've yet to pay anything like UK or Euro prices for skis out there. (and totally agree with you on clothing)
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

That's one of the things that is killing off ski shops in the UK, and meaning that prices are higher than usual.
People come in, use them for advice, to try things on, etc, then walk out the door and buy them online.

Well then the ski shops have to differentiate themselves from the web. Yesterday I had money burning a hole in my pocket, and yet I could not find what I wanted to buy.
snow report
You could do worse than pay a visit to Matelan. Right now they have some jackets in at 25 for a shell and 40 for a fleece lined jackets. surprisingly well sewn together with snow skirt and waterproof zips, more than adequate for an on-piste resort trip. I'd have second thoughts if I were contemplating a major randonee. They also have some micro Modal t'shirts and pants that are whicking and very comfortable and a range of microfleece thermals that I can guarantee are warm, dry and have survived a lot of wear and washing without any deterioration on feel or appearance. And at about 12 squid for long sleeved top and pants . . I'm happy with them and at that price I can chuck them in the recycling bin and go upmarket for the next purchase.

We're gonna have to become a comsumer test centre for ski underwear . . . who's volunteering for the thermal thong?
snow conditions
Masque,
Quote:

We're gonna have to become a comsumer test centre for ski underwear . . . who's volunteering for the thermal thong?

Since you suggested it...you are Toofy Grin
latest report
snowbunny, evil...I like it Twisted Evil
snow report
snowbunny, Now, now . . . just because you find them unsuitable for your stature is no reason to be bitchy rolling eyes
ski holidays
Masque,
Quote:

snowbunny, Now, now . . . just because you find them unsuitable for your stature is no reason to be bitchy

A genuine suggestion on my part, I'm sad that you think I'm being bitchy. I'm interested in reading your understanding of what you think my stature is Twisted Evil
latest report
I actually went past Matalan and thought, "I wonder if they do ski stuff in there". But I was already on my way to Decathlon so I thought the time would be better spent in a traffic jam on the M25 Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
4 pairs of excellent Marks and Spencer base layer ski leggings, originally £20, for 99p each in their outlet shop in Gunwharf Quays, portsmouth, today. Had to hunt through the racks of winceyette pyjamas, but it was worth it!
snow conditions
4 pairs of excellent Marks and Spencer winceyette pyjamas, originally £20, for 99p each in their outlet shop in Gunwharf Quays, portsmouth, today. Had to hunt through the racks of base layer ski leggings, but it was worth it! Hehehe wink
snow report
Try GO OUTDOORS in coventry....BARGAINS!!!!!
snow conditions
Treat yourself to some nice Merino wool underwear from Icebreaker or Smartwool. Expensive yes, but very comfortable and doesn't stink after a day or two on the slopes like all the synthetics I've ever used before. Like nearly everything in life, you get what you pay for with diminishing returns at the upper end. I think many people skimp on base layers, which doesn't make much sense as it's the only part that actually touches your skin. For me clothing is hugely important out on the mountain, whether skiing on or off piste.
ski holidays
Quote:

Treat yourself to some nice Merino wool underwear from Icebreaker or Smartwool. Expensive yes, but very comfortable and doesn't stink after a day or two on the slopes like all the synthetics I've ever used before. Like nearly everything in life, you get what you pay for with diminishing returns at the upper end. I think many people skimp on base layers, which doesn't make much sense as it's the only part that actually touches your skin. For me clothing is hugely important out on the mountain, whether skiing on or off piste.

Couldn't agree more. I got sold some icebreaker at Ellis Brigham and initially i thought i had been stung into buying the expensive stuff but when i got on holiday. WOW. They are amazingly comfortable and nice and warm too. Good to get some usefull advice on this sort of stuff but i dont think i will try the cheapest in future as im so happy with what i've got for the extra few quid. I guess its like the old saying

''buy cheap and buy twice''
latest report
All the poor people please stay way from Snow and Rock or other main stream Outdoor stores. Your blocking us rich people from getting to our nice new shiny gear.
ski holidays
Its all relative, foreample with skis, I was looking at Head i.XRC 1200 SW . Package S& R =£569. Ski Bilek about £270.
latest report
dan100, have you got a link for that Ski Bilek price, cause I'd be interested...?
snow conditions
http://www.ski-bilek.de/

.... here's the link to their online shop
http://afterbuy.de/afterbuy/shop/storefront/start.asp?shopid=38598
ski holidays
DB, thanks, but I was looking for the 1200SW, and I couldn't find it listed on their main site.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
DB, thanks, but I was looking for the 1200SW, and I couldn't find it listed on their main site.

Foxy,

Top left hand corner type "1200" in the Produkt Suche (search box) and click go. 369 Euros without bindings.
snow conditions
They do have the 1200 SW listed. suggest you get into ski bilek. Search on head i.XRC. If you are lucky there'll be an auction for the skis without bindings . There wasn't much interest when I bid and the skis sold for 239euros. the Free flex 14 binding is a fixed price of 149 euros. The alternative if you are less lucky is that they have a price starting for the ski and binding at 438 -I bet no one else bids. They also have the ski with a bid starting at 198 and one auction for the ski only. Even if you pay e438 that is £302 plus posting -a little cheaper than S & R.

try this link. my search on i.XRC

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&frpp=25&from=R10&satitle=i.XRC&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&fsop=1%26fsoo%3D1&coaction=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search&fgtp=&sadis=200&fpos=NP15+1BU&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&seller=1&sass=skiprofis
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy