Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowdome near Portsmouth?

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/business/local-business/portsmouth-rubbish-dump-could-become-indoor-snowdome-1-6604328

Headline news in Portsmouth News today!

Chances of it coming off?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Slim but not impossible
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@D G Orf, +1
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Add it to the pile...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
East London, Norfolk, Weston-super-Mare, Cardiff Bay, now Portsmouth; any more proposals? Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Swindon - or is that definitely gone now as a possibility?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh, yes, I forgot Swindon! (Very easy to do, of course!)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Out of all the possible ones to date that would have been the closest. However Portsmouth is probably easier to get to as more motorway between us and there.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes please but its not going to happen
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If Ben Ainslie got £7.5M to build a base in Portsmouth for his America's Cup challenge, I don't necessarily see why money would not be forthcoming for a Snowdome. There is a funding pot for economic development in Portsmouth following the withdrawal of naval shipbuilding. But there's also discussion in the article of a dry slope. Who on earth plans to build a dry slope in 2015?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dogwatch, how that amazed me as well. Given that there is a dry slope in Southampton you aren't going to get such a big pull as a snowdome on the south coast where I guess Hemel is probably the closest and that is a very significant drive away.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dogwatch wrote:
Who on earth plans to build a dry slope in 2015?

Glencoe built one last year.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@dogwatch, there's megabucks in ocean racing. Indoor skiing and a nice caff is not quite in the same league. Would be great but seems unlikely. I think there's a dry slope at Calshot too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The dry slope at Southampton is pretty awful, and very short. Despite living in Soton I haven't used the dry slope for about 20 years or so. The one at Calshot is tiny, it's indoors and pretty worthless except for young kids to have a try on.

There's definitely room for a fridge on the South coast, I've done the drives to Hemel, MK and Tamworth before. I can't see it happening though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dryslopes are fine just different but what I would love to see is someone build a slope that has a sliding roof in the summer it is a dryslope open to the elements when the weather is fine. But in winter they close the roof and it becomes an indoor fridge.
Build it on the side of a hill so as to reduce the build cost over the fridges I have seen so far that build upwards on flat ground, that money saved goes into the roof instead.
Also the next slope needs to be at least 400-500m long use a chair lift as main uplift and drags as support. two main slopes one for advanced/expert plus permenant terrain park the other more twisty so lower gradient for beg/int with the lower section split so as to provide a safe first steps area for beginners. Also a couple of very easy fetures to learn on before going to the main terrain park placed at points on the way down.

From what I have looked into fridges loose quite a bit of money durring the summer so a dryslope then would negate all the refridgeration costs also when roof open reduce lighting costs. To be honest in winter if snow is falling they could open the roof again reducing the need to make artificial snow.

I may be barking up the wrong tree but the fridges all look so similiar that maybe a rethink is needed to attract more skiers/borders. So if any of these new slopes go ahead I hope they really look at offering soemthing new and different to what is available now.
ski holidays
Would love it if this happens .. but I doubt it will.

They were talking about building one in Southampton at one point, that came to nothing.
latest report
@speed098, isn't Hemel built on a hill, since it was a dry slope before they built the fridge?
snow conditions
Maybe the idea has died already - the link doesn't seem to work...
ski holidays
karin wrote:
@speed098, isn't Hemel built on a hill, since it was a dry slope before they built the fridge?

Not been to Hemel for a long time and last time it was still a dryslope so yes most likely it is still on the hill. But not that big a hill I would think it logical to look for a hill that has at least a 200m drop. It would be great if they could find one that has this drop with a length of around 1600m plus this way they could actually hold a F.I.S slalom race, which would be fantastic for publicity. With that drop and length who knows they could possibly do an intermediate slope that is a good few KM long snaking down rather than straight drop.

It could become an all year round training centre for the GB squad and allow kids to train/practice for the squad at much lower costs than going abroad or even up to Scotland.
Large indoor centres do exist already I think the longest is close to 700m long another has a 31% gradient so they show it can be done.
snow report
@karin, They updated the story and changed the link: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/portsmouth-rubbish-dump-could-become-indoor-snow-centre-1-6606049

@speed098, Yes Hemel is built on a hill. http://www.snowhall-amneville.fr/ is also built on a hill - it's basically just a big insulated shed stuck up the side of a hill so build cost was relatively low which helps keep prices down.
snow conditions
speed098 wrote:
Not been to Hemel for a long time and last time it was still a dryslope so yes most likely it is still on the hill. But not that big a hill I would think it logical to look for a hill that has at least a 200m drop.

Ever been to Portsmouth?

Quote:
To be honest in winter if snow is falling they could open the roof again reducing the need to make artificial snow.

Number of days snow lying for 24 hours in Hampshire so far this winter. Zero. Which isn't particularly unusual.
latest report
pam w wrote:
@dogwatch, there's megabucks in ocean racing.

The America's Cup is not ocean racing. The boats aren't suitable. One of the AC72s in the previous cycle disintegrated sailing on flat water in moderate breeze and before that, at least one IACC boat crumpled in half and sank, again in moderate conditions and sheltered water.

Not really my point anyway, which was that there is central government budget allocated for economic regeneration projects in Portsmouth following the closure of naval shipbuilding.
ski holidays
The article mentions Land Securities. Are they not the new owners of MK that didn't want the SH test custom?
snow conditions
The Southampton proposal was scrapped in favour of wind assisted idiots as well when lay boor took over the council.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9894292.City_snow_dome_scheme_scrapped/
ski holidays
“What we want to do is develop marine activities on the waterfront. It could be anything in that context but it won’t be something that isn’t water related for obvious reasons. What we haven’t got much of in the city is access to the waterfront and to not have waterfront-based activities on the waterfront would be a bit silly in our opinion."

He has got a point, you know.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy