Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips for Andorra - Sport hotel village

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

So we fly to Andorra on Sunday And I was keen to post to see if there was any information I could pick up from everyone!
I am a little nervous after having a baptism of fire with skiing last year in bansko when I got knocked over four times and spent the week panicking … I did however like it enough to book again hence our holiday next week!!

I did a few hours at the snowdome in the summer too and literally came on leaps and bounds in that time so I must have picked up more than I thought in that week….

Anyway my question is can anyone recommend a good ski instructor or company? I am only going with my partner and he wont want lessons… although if we had a private lesson between us he may consider it – but we are differing abilities.. he is way more confident than me..

Also can anyone recommend any nice bars etc nearby our hotel… ? Just trying to get ahead before we go..
any extra tips for anything at all?

Luckily for me my colleague went last week and has already given me a marked piste map with runs that I will hopefully enjoy! Wish me luck!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ah I just typed out loads on here and then lost it so apologies for my brief message here instead:

Apres bars - for straight from the piste, Lizarran in Pas de la Casa is good for beers and food, KSB in Pas is really cheap between 4 and 7 and does good tapas if you want a snack too. L'Abseret at the bottom of the El Tarter runs is amazing for apres with live DJs from about 4pm onwards. You can get the bus back from either El Tarter or Pas de la Casa to Soldeu (where I think your hotel is) until about 10pm I think so you would be fine going for a drink in any of these places if you felt a bit adventurous in your skiing and fancied going on a bit of a trip - they're all linked by lifts and runs.

I've had lessons with the "official" Grandvalira people in the past and I would recommend, though it's always luck of the draw as to who you get instructing you, and the size of your group.

If you haven't bought lift passes yet, get them from pasdelacasa-andorra.com (I'm not affiliated with them) as they're the same price as from the resort but include vouchers for a free lunch in most of the mountain restaurants, which saves you a bunch!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The instructors in Soldeu are fantastic, definitely recommended - there's a lot of british instructors so no language barrier.

Après in Soldeu is really good - lots of bars have live bands. Iceberg is a great place for beers directly after you come off the slopes - great views of the slopes. The Harp and Aspen are traditional pubs, with live music and a really good crowd. Fat Alberts is a great bar and open till 3am on a lot of nights - earlyish on Thursday night the ski instructors band plays, which is a cracking night (especially if you get know one or 2 instructors).

Getting a bus back to Soldeu from other resorts sounds a bit of a pain personally, especially when there's plenty going on in Soldeu.

With all the snow they've had there, you're going to have a cracking week!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Em1986, just read your other post about Bansko - don't worry, the slopes around Soldeu are perfect for you. Nice long cruisy blues that are well groomed - plus there are easy blues from the top to the bottom of the mountain so you'll feel like you're skiing the whole mountain.

And don't forget to report back Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Em1986, I just got back from a month in Soldeu. It's quite an open question you're asking but feel free to PM me if there's anything specific you want to know.

I wouldn't recommend private lessons with your partner if you're at different levels. It really negates the purpose somewhat. The ski school is excellent and the progression of runs is ideal. Which hotel are you staying in? One thing to note is that on the first morning the ski school operates a first come first served system for lessons so if you want to get a morning lesson, be at the gondola really early(before it opens) to get yourself in the queue.

If your hotel isn't really close to the lift and you want to rent a locker, get one at the top of the gondola; it's more convenient and less expensive than at the base station. Natasha who runs it is an absolute gem of a lady and can't do enough to help.

As mentioned there are lots of lively bars in the village with live music. My mate Bruce plays at the Harp on a Wednesday evening usually but I think he'll be away next week which is a pity. It's a good night.

As I said, let me know if you want to know anything more.

Enjoy the great snow!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just noticed you're in the Sport Village. You couldn't be in a more convenient location and a lovely hotel.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ade57 wrote:
[b] If your hotel isn't really close to the lift and you want to rent a locker, get one at the top of the gondola; it's more convenient and less expensive than at the base station. Natasha who runs it is an absolute gem of a lady and can't do enough to help.

We did this and it is very convienent - however one word of caution (which we were told by our ski instructor) if the weather comes in and they close the gondola/lifts on your last day then you're going to struggle to get your skis back to the hire shop. Unlikely I know, but possible.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We absolutely love live music so that sounds fantastic! Are the Aspen and Harp within walking distance of the sport hotel village?
We are thinking of doing the ribs night at Fat Alberts as my OH loves ribs!! I have emailed to book but havent heard back yet....

I am really excited now as it will be lovely being able to ski on runs without being terrified and enjoy it a little.. we have booked with Neilson so I may ask them about lessons on our transfer to the hotel as well...

I would like a few private ones in the week I think just to help me build my confidence a little.. my OH thinks he is a pro so he enjoys skiing off by himself... (hes all speed and no technique but then what do I know!) Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You should get a locker as part of the Sport Village package....it's in the building next door, across the entrance to the underground car park.
The Iceberg is now called BarCode....great terrace as mentioned. If you get a chance to use the spa in the Sport Hermitage then it is really worthwhile...with Crystal you get a 'complimentary' entrance on either Monday or Tuesday......probably the same for Neilson.
You'll have a great time.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Em1986, all the bars are within walking distance - the centre of Soldeu is really compact.

I think you'll love the runs - I remember the first time I went to France and thinking how steep the blues seemed in comparison to Andorra.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We actually have free spa access as part of our room rate at the hotel which I am really excited about!! Little Angel
Have heard so much good stuff about the spa!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I reckon if I struggle on the blues in Andorra I will have stick to my day job and hang up my boots Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Back from our third week in El Tarter. ET and Soldeu share instructors I believe as the schools are only 10 mins apart. We paid for group lessons this time, the 30-40 adults were divided into ability, maybe 11 per group. I got Paul O, very technical, I think I made good progress, absolutely loved it. My wife got Skipper, she didn't learn a thing and just cruised around the mountains, and she absolutely loved it Smile. Don't know about the piste down to Soldeu village but the one down to El Tarter can be crowded and lumpy at the end of the day.

And there is very cheap ski clothing about 1 km down the hill from ET.

Have fun.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do you know if the lockers at the top of the El Tarter gondola are heated?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
They'd freeze if not, surely? -10 at night?
ski holidays
Thanks, let's hope so!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy