Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Age is only a number

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/ueidYCQiSoE
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Respect, sir. Wishing many more years of skiing great lines.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have posted this before, but for those who have not seen it before, this is worth a look too:
http://youtube.com/v/9lpJSB9pd-s
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RESPECT!

I hope to live so long as I'm fit and healthy enough to enjoy life-whatever the number! Cool
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Probably the best two ski vidz I've seen this year! So impressive.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Pyremaniac, there's Mary on all I can

Ski Bums Never Die from Switchback Entertainment
https://vimeo.com/20878613
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To stay as active and positive as that into old age you need determination, drive and a lot of self discipline. We are all responsible for those qualities - or lack of them - in ourselves.

BUT you also need a fortunate genetic inheritance. And luck.

I had lunch with a friend yesterday - early 70s. Petite, slim, never smoked, very light drinker, done a lot of skiing, walking and other activities, including sailing, in her time. Never looked anything like her age - really quite a girlish figure, if you saw her in the distance.

She had quite a bad stroke, completely out of the blue, last year. She has made a reasonable recovery with masses of exercise - still has problems with her right hand and without at least 30 minutes of her rehab exercises each day it regresses. She also has balance problems - nothing drastic, just a bit of a "drunken stagger" now and again.

Getting older needn't mean giving up - certainly shouldn't mean giving up. But you need to be realistic and recognise the need to adapt. Those guys in those videos probably can't, and don't, do the days they did many years ago. It's a bit like the people who say that having babies isn't going to be allowed to change their social lives in any way. You just have to laugh. wink

I gave up snowboarding a couple of years ago. Made sense. And I've pretty well decided (more regretfully) that my poorly knee isn't going to be up to skiing off piste. It would be, if I was better at it. But you don't only have to give things up. I've just started learning to play the piano. It's a lot easier on the knees, if harder on the brain.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Top bloke. Hope to still be doing that when I'm 97.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We shared a chalet in ADH a couple of years back with a guy in his 80's, (84 I think) and he was sound. We came across him half way down Sarenne a couple of times.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are absolutely loads of skiers in their 80s - it won't be long before they raise the age for free ski passes again. rolling eyes But 97 is a tad impressive!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, absolutely, but we liked David (for twas his name) very much. He was wise and funny and told great stories.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Age is indeed just a number. Wink

My Mom works in a hospital. Sometimes she sees young cancer patients that absolutely breaks her heart! Genetic makes for a very uneven playing field.

But given whatever genetics, it's up to each individual to make the best of it. Drink excessively, smoke lots, you may get to grow to an old "age" with the help of loads of pills, with a life quality better dead than alive.

Or you can exercise, stay active both mentally and physically. There's no guarantee you'll "beat the odds" of poor genetics. But you may just get lucky with the luck of draw and have a long life, and health!

I do my best in the hope that, if I happen to have gotten a good draw in that "luck" department in genetics, I'll be in good health to enjoy it for many years!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w wrote:
To stay as active and positive as that into old age you need determination, drive and a lot of self discipline. We are all responsible for those qualities - or lack of them - in ourselves.

BUT you also need a fortunate genetic inheritance. And luck.

Yep. Recently seen one of my neighbours (mid 50s) limping badly after a week's skiing. He's not unfit, he's not overweight, he's just got knee problems that surgery didn't fix.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The more mature sHs need to up their game...bunch of lightweights Madeye-Smiley

http://youtube.com/v/yR-OX_KiFdY
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Totally amazing.

I'm only in my 40s, but do ski with a 70+ guy who is certainly fitter than your average 30 year old couch potato. I think lifestyle plays a big part in all this, but obviously genetics count too and perhaps a bit of luck for good measure.
snow report
I may have posted this before but this guy is my hero:

http://www.eagleskiclub.org.uk/news/eighty-over-four-thousand-jeremy-whiteheads-birthday

I skied with him about 10 years ago (when he was only 74). Very steady uphill - didn't go super-fast but never stopped until the top and a very tidy skier. Talked to a guy who had skied with him the year before. This guy had just summited Everest (!) and was amused when he got a thorough grilling from Jeremy about whether he would be fit enough to join Jeremy's tour Laughing
ski holidays
Blimey you mean i have to keep going til i get to 100 Shocked
latest report
I skied all week earlier this month with three young guys whose combined age was just one year more than mine. At the end of the week the youngest, a quiet and shy 17 year old came up to me and said that he hoped he'd be skiing as well as I do now, when he's old. I'm 53 Sad Laughing
ski holidays
The trick is to wear a helmet and goggles, then they can't tell your age.

I'm ok with young people though - in time they will probably learn not to be overweight, and technique comes with time.

My mate Don Wildman is a bit of a baby at 82, but he can still ride rings around most people, irrespective of age, in deep powder:
http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-wildman22-2009jun22-story.html#page=1
That said, his young ladies do tend to be somewhat less than half his age.
snow conditions
Fantastic!
ski holidays
there is also the beginning of TGRs way of life austria segment

https://vimeo.com/84748737
snow report
pam w wrote:
I've just started learning to play the piano. It's a lot easier on the knees, if harder on the brain.

I find it's not so hard if you use the fingers and thumbs!

Laughing

I mountain bike with my 80 year old chum. He is a little slower these days. Could be something to do with his prosthetic left leg.....
snow report
I recently met a British lady in Big White Canada - she must have been 70 I would guess. She had spent a week CAT skiing near Fernie and was now part way through a 5 or 6 week ski instructors course! Massively impressed.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy