Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fell flat on our face waiting for late deal :(

Poster: A snowHead
I've loved following this thread over the last few days. I suggested 7 days AI 3 star hotel in Chatel (including lift pass) for £349 and the OP thought was too pricey, so I knew it would be fun! I have also found it useful to see how others go about finding late deals as it's the way I usually book as well.

The problem is that you can never tell when the TOs prices are going to suddenly go up. Of course the later you leave it, the higher flight prices get for DIY trips. But surely anyone who can find 7 nights HB at a decent hotel in a reasonable resort (which I know is subjective) including lift pass, has done well whenever they book?

However, for now I'm hooked on the soap opera of where Shaunyski is going on holiday? Make sure you give us the big reveal tomorrow!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My first ever ski holiday was the hotel Perelik (edit - no, wait, it was the one next door but food was in the Perelik) in Pamporovo, just me and a friend! Total bargain with Teletext holidays in 2002, booked the week before we went. £199 each including everything, even the lift pass and ski hire, think it was with Nielson. Only had to pay for the lessons which was pennies as it was Bulgaria. As a complete and utter beginner and it was, well, 13 years ago so not as crowded it suited me just fine. And it was January so good snow.

I weep when I think what we spend for all six of us now I'm married with children!! I know inflation hasn't been that bad!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
now we are reminicising £69 each flight transfer and bb shared bathroom with 4 unknown lads ,,single above the original scotch bar in sauze when 2nd year married 36yrs ago on a tight budget we still laugh about the fun we had smugling those little bottles of drink into the bars as we couldnt afford the 2nd drink and going to which ever cafe had an evening meal deal can remember my wife having shared most of a litre of cheap plonk eating what turned out to be tripe and onions happy days and the skiing was fun, single chair up in those days
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
EdYarker wrote:
I've loved following this thread over the last few days. I suggested 7 days AI 3 star hotel in Chatel (including lift pass) for £349 and the OP thought was too pricey, so I knew it would be fun! I have also found it useful to see how others go about finding late deals as it's the way I usually book as well.

The problem is that you can never tell when the TOs prices are going to suddenly go up. Of course the later you leave it, the higher flight prices get for DIY trips. But surely anyone who can find 7 nights HB at a decent hotel in a reasonable resort (which I know is subjective) including lift pass, has done well whenever they book?

However, for now I'm hooked on the soap opera of where Shaunyski is going on holiday? Make sure you give us the big reveal tomorrow!

I suspect you might be disappointed. Think it will be Torremelinos in July for Shaunyskio.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
emwmarine wrote:
Shaunyskio

Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not very kind. I hope he finds something nice.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
EdYarker wrote:

I still can't get over what a deal that was! We live out here and that's got to be a loss leader. We did not stop laughing for quite a while over the 'bit pricey' comment!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Not very kind. I hope he finds something nice.

That's true. But this thread has all the hallmarks of one where lots of people spend a bit of time offering good advice which the OP seems to completely disregard.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A bit harsh; he was gracious with his thanks last evening. He's inexperienced at this game. Be patient.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Where's the like button? Totally agree. Just to add on to page 2, snowtrex are excellent value and I would not hesitate to recommend.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
A bit harsh; he was gracious with his thanks last evening. He's inexperienced at this game. Be patient.

+1.

Aye, give the OP a break.

They seemed genuine with the appreciation of the help they've been given.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I remember booking our first ski trip. I had no idea what to look for. We ended up in Borovets. It was OK but could have been so much better. I wish we'd known where we could get better advice.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Been following this thread with interest as in a similar situation - looked to book in advance for 4 people, but when the other couple pulled out and my partner had a family bereavement, thought we may as well wait and get a late deal.

We are flexible in the following ways:
2 people (couple)
Any english airport except newcastle (prefer stansted/luton/birmingham)
Fly March 7th or 8th (1 week)
Prefer Austria but consider France or Italy
Prefer catered chalet or half board (but would take SC if a good deal)
Prefer short walk to lifts rather than bus (but not dealbreaker)
Ski area with reasonable mileage for me (1 beginner, 1 improver).
Hoping for £700 to cover flights/transfers/half board accom/pass/hire/half day ski school. May have to push to £800 but don't tell the other half rolling eyes

Tricky one whether we should we wait until early next week to see if any last minute deals come out, or book one of the current limited offerings. I feel we are fairly flexible, but with less than a week to go, I've not found anything particularly great (the chalet mounty deal looked good but looks like it's gone already). The other half has rung a few of the main TOs but they're not offering anything beyond what's already on their websites. They said that there's not as much around as there was this time last year for whatever reason. Been looking at the smaller TOs but it's surprisingly difficult to find them as google turfs up the same places over and over.

So what do people think? Keep waiting with flexibility on our side? Too risky may as well book now? Funeral on wednesday so would be nice to have something to look forward to.

Thank you wise snowheads!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@polkadot, have you looked on the Inghams website? There seem to be several half board deals from Birmingham at around the £400 mark. I've heard good things about both Axamer Lixum and Niederau for beginners and early intermediates. Adding in equipment, lessons and lift pass you'd end up somewhere around the £700 mark.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nothing left this year...that's just TO spin!! rolling eyes

Booking agents Igluski are showing 393 Chalet holidays in 58 properties for 7/8th March...cheapest currently looks to be a £415 Mark Warner deal to Zell am See...bet they'll all be cheaper after the weekend...they often drop on Mon or Tues once everyone's back to work...they need to fill those flights and chalets...and that's not including the 1699 HB Hotel deals on offer with Inghams Austria deals starting at £399...plus all the B&B, S/C apartments stuff...just hang on a bit longer and watch them drop further! wink
latest report
@luigi, not going to disagree that there is still capacity out there, but you do have to be a little cautious about resellers like igluski - they don't update their availability in anything lie real time (I'd guess deliberately), so they often show quite a few properties that are in fact full.

More generally, we booked last week, and I thought there was still a fair bit out there. But I do think a lot of tour ops are more reluctant to discount heavily now. I was watching Ski World prices last week, and was amazed by how little discount was being offered (and how they were still selling)...the model has definitely changed in the last 6/7 years.
ski holidays
My own experiences may or may not have general application, but this is what I have found:
1. Tour operators will offer discounts for the weeks / chalets that haven't sold. There may well be good reasons why those weeks / chalets haven't sold.
2. Tour operators generally have pre-arranged for the season (a) flights from various airports (b) chalets / hotels (numbers of beds)
3. If you can be flexible on airport / resort you can get a cheap deal
4. The cheapest deals will be on the last 7 days before departure, by which time choice is very limited
5. If you are flexible enough to consider independent travel (doesn't just mean driving, can include train or "cheap flights" - but these are less likely to be "cheap" at the last minute) then look at either self catering options or catered chalets owned / run by the smaller companies that don't include travel.
6. In France especially (but not exclusively) there are companies like Pierre et Vacances who own / have access to a large number of self catering beds. They will often have something available cheaply at the last minute either themselves, or through another company such as Ski Independence, but you will need to arrange your own travel
7. Be creative in your choice of resort. Maybe look for accommodation just outside the main resort. That can be less convenient when it comes to going to/ from the slopes each day, but may not be a big issue. La Daille instead of Val D' Isere centre is no big deal, but Brides les Bains is less convenient than the main Three Valley resorts.
8. The best deal that I feel that I have ever had was arranged in a catered chalet on a Saturday morning to start that same day, in the knowledge that it would be Sunday before we could actually get there. I am not 100% sure but I think it was with Ski Amis. There was obviously no way they could expect to sell a week in a catered chalet starting that same day and we were flexible enough to drive, arriving on the Sunday morning.

It can be done but there will always be a compromise between price / certainty / quality / first choice of travel etc etc
latest report
@polkadot, Have you looked at SkiAmi http://www.skiamis.com/skideals.htm?utm_source=Last+Minute+27th+February+2015&utm_campaign=Special+Offer+Email&utm_medium=email

I found them very open to negotiation for the New Year.
snow report
@polkadot, might be able to help - you have a PM
latest report
Drum roll pleeaaase................................

Finally booked somwhere £1100..

The hotel dosent sound to neat with some hidden extras ie £300 deposit and rental of bed linen, towels, oven, tv..
But looks cool from the outside and hopefully the chance of a good view out the balcony.. Not looking forward to wearing speedos in the pool tho Wink

The ski resort itself on the other hand sounds good and hopefully within the week we'll be going top to bottom with abit of night skiing chucked in there..

The funny thing is after all the hassel and head scratching i've ended up picking the very 1st place i was interested in 3-4moth ago and i think have ended up paying more but its still close to my "budget/target price"

Anywho.. For all thats been following this thread in suspense and anticipation.. The resort iiiiss Chamrousse booked thro snowtrex with basic ski package and lessons (i picked the level one lessons as we at least know how to put the skis on now)..
Booked flights thro skyscanner flying from Birmingham(took abit of juggling to find an airport with resonable price, not a million miles away and reasonable flight times so we didnt waste the 1st day traveling or ariving too late and not have chance to suss where to get gear from and head for lessons the next day.
And bensbus for transfers.. Was debating to rent a car and fly to chambry from leeds/bradford.. But the thought of loosing a chunk of excess out weighed instant transfer/short airport journey/chance to venture further afield.

So thank you to everyones help and advice and even the criticism to some degree.. Cant wait to go now and at least thats only a week away, hehe

@polkadot,
The closest i found to your budget was £825 RÉSIDENCE LES CHAUMETTES at SUPERDEVOLUY with gear liftpas and lessons off sunweb flights skyscanner to chambery and renting a car for transfer fuel wasnt included in that price but am sure its cheaper than uk

My experience of all this is as i was advised at the beginning.. If you see something you like book it! Or it will be gone or dearer closer to the time
ski holidays
@shaunyski, glad to hear you've got it sorted. (Also glad to hear you've not picked Bulgaria.) Good choice re. going for a short transfer. Your first ski holiday can be really bewildering, with loads of conflicting advice. If you have any questions, come and ask them somewhere on here.

My one piece advice would be to pack some Compede (blister plasters). There's always the chance that rental ski boots (or even your own carefully fitted ones if you're a bit sleepy when you put them on in the morning) will rub, and there's few things worse than a blister causing pain from day one - Compede magically sorts it out Smile
latest report
@shaunyski, well done. I would expect that with a £300 deposit and linen rental etc. you are staying in a self catered apartment rather than a hotel, I think the bulk of accommodation in Chamrousse is self catered. But anyway, have a fabulous time and do report back.
snow report
Quote:

I would expect that with a £300 deposit and linen rental etc. you are staying in a self catered apartment rather than a hotel

yes, I thought that too. It would be worth thinking about packing a few basics such as T-bags, coffee, a few stock cubes, other light foodstuffs (e.g. a couple of helpings of rice each, some mini choc bars to take out on the slopes with you, maybe some porridge oats or muesli, jar of marmite, etc). Buying stuff in a ski resort is never cheap and you shouldn't need all your baggage allowance for your clothing, not by a long way.

Very glad you found something - Chamrousse should be great.

snowHead
latest report
@shaunyski, Glad to hear you are sorted. Hope you have a super time and it would be great to read a review when you are back.
snow report
@sugarmoma666, @queen bodecia, @pam w, @CaravanSkier,
Thanx guys Smile well buzzing was nearlly hyperventilating earlier with excitment! lol
Will definitely take some compeed thamx for the heads up, might also need something for our muscles too... 2 an half hours was bad enough at excape so a week is bound to kill us lol
The place where staying is Le Domaine de l'Arselle and does sound very minimal, we decided to get 20kg each hold luggage aswell as the 6kg each hand luggage with the intention of taking some extra bits foodwise. We prob wont rent the oven, or tv for that matter and i'm guessing they'll not be a microwave there so will be quite limited to noodle type stuff but am sure theres places to eat out.. The chocy bars for the piste is a good idea..

You'll deffinetly be hearing off me when we get back, lots of pics aswell Smile
snow conditions
@shaunyski, looking up that accommodation on snowtrex it says" All apartments offer a fully equipped kitchenette with hob, microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator and coffee maker" so you shouldn't be limited to pot noodles!!

Looking forward to hearing all about it. snowHead
ski holidays
If you like tea, take some tea bags!

Your resort will have a small supermarket, bread, cold meats, cheese, potatoes, are usually the cheapest things to buy. They may offer free loan of raclette machine or fondue if you buy cheese (or the resort deli may do so) Years of self catering have taught me that doing a raclette or fondue using local stuff is the easiest, cheapest option if you have to buy 'up the mountain' Take bacon too if you can, cooks really quickly on the kind of borrowed raclette machines that have a top 'hot plate'. The local cured meats are often more palatable to children if they 'pop' them on the hot top and cook them themselves!

When you collect (or have delivered) the breakfast bread get a little extra, fill with cheese/meat/tomato etc and wrap in clingfilm (take cling film/foil) and stuff in ski jacket pocket, will do for lunch unless you have ravenous teenagers! You may have to buy drinks because carrying them never seems practical (Although a can of beer does fit in one of my jacket pockets lol)

If you do have ravenous teenagers they will eat the french bread lunch in the first lift queue of the morning, need another lunch at 11.15, 2nd lunch at 2pm and high tea at 4.30 before eating everything in your accommodation fridge by the time you have organised dinner lol. The only plus is that you often get to ski on the quiet 'normal' lunch time slopes )

Have fun!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 1-03-15 18:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@shaunyski, enjoy your trip.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
@shaunyski, looking up that accommodation on snowtrex it says" All apartments offer a fully equipped kitchenette with hob, microwave, dishwasher, refrigerator and coffee maker" so you shouldn't be limited to pot noodles!!

Looking forward to hearing all about it. snowHead

Having just had a quick look on Tripadvisor, I think they've listed everything that is in the apartment Very Happy Can you spot anything you'd normally find in a kitchen missing from that list? Puzzled
latest report
@sugarmoma666, it's a very cheap apartment, not going to be the Ritz, but most of trip adviser reviews reckons it's decent value for money.
latest report
pam w wrote:
@sugarmoma666, it's a very cheap apartment, not going to be the Ritz, but most of trip adviser reviews reckons it's decent value for money.

I completely agree, but I'm guessing the lack of a kettle comes as a nasty surprise to anyone who hasn't read those reviews. Shocked
snow report
Only the Brits would be worried about the lack of a kettle. No-one else seems to be bothered.
snow report
@sugarmoma666, boiling water in a pan on the hob is not exactly a deal breaker. Not even a "nasty surprise"! wink Certainly not to anyone used to French kitchens. Like the lack of mugs. Par for the course.

Some people quite like experiencing other cultures. wink
snow report
If there are no mugs, just use the cereal bowls.
snow report
Last time we stayed in a Madame Vacances there was ONE hook in the whole apartment (back of bathroom door). Not sure they are all the same, but I'd pick up one of those over the door hook things at Poundland or similar if I was going to stay in one again. I can't cope skiing without hooks to hang everything on..........

Our Madame Vacances also charged for the TV, but what it really meant was they charged for the remote control! Provided you switched on and change channels manually (hidden on the back of the set where we were), then you had a TV for free.

Pack bits of herbs and spices in mini plastic bags or cling film to take, as we always think it's not the costs of buying the, say, tinned tomatoes, pasta, meat that's the killer. It's the €3+ for a pot of herbs to make it taste decent, since you use so little and then either have to carry it home or leave behind.
latest report
Excellent news @shaunyski.

But now you are fully fledged snowhead, we all expect a full trip report on your experience (warts and all).

PS I have a vested interest as I've looked a chamrousse a few times but have been put off by the self catering side. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
I never expect a kettle or mugs in a French appartment so if I remember/have room in the case then I take the travel kettle & a couple of old mugs that I throw away when we leave but its never been a 'nasty suprise' to not have them. Shocked
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
@sugarmoma666, boiling water in a pan on the hob is not exactly a deal breaker. Not even a "nasty surprise"! wink Certainly not to anyone used to French kitchens. Like the lack of mugs. Par for the course.

Fair enough. I've not stayed in a French apartment. The lack of a kettle seemed to be one of the key gripes on Tripadvisor though. I guess they were people who can't survive without their cup of tea.
latest report
pam w wrote:

True, myself included, but I'm not sure what that has to do with kettles Confused

I guess my mistake has highlighted that what may be obvious to people who've stayed in French apartments before might not be quite so obvious to the rest of us. Very Happy

Is there anything else along these lines that it might be useful for the OP to know?
snow report
Quote:

I guess they were people who can't survive without their cup of tea.

If they can't work out how to make their cup of tea without an electric kettle they probably shouldn't be allowed out alone.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy