Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Weekend - Chamonix? Advice!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Am managing to fit in a sneaky ski weekend at the end of March. Flying to Geneva from Edinburgh. Hubby flying from London as he's working in sunny Kent at the mo & hopefully finding each other at the airport! wink
Haven't done the ski weekend for a few years, just family trips & days out in Scotland, and usually have gone in early March in the past, but with it being the end of the month (26th March) feel we should go somewhere higher to get better conditions. I wasn't sure about Chamonix as even though close to Geneva & high I'm not an off piste skier. We're both good intermediates who can get down anything on piste, but I struggle off piste & tend to really only play around on the bits at the edge of the piste if you see what I mean.
Given Chamonix's off piste reputation would it be a good destination for us? Or is there anywhere else that might suit us better? Don't really want to drive more than 2 hours, plus we've got early flights (arrive Geneva 9.40ish) so hoping to maybe get an extra afternoon in if poss, although that's not crucial as we will have 3 full days skiing.
Any help gratefully appreciated as don't want to duff up our first trip in years!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We did a weekend to Grand Massif, Flaine is high and should be fine end of March, we managed a good half day after arriving on the Edinburgh flight because it is only an hour transfer/drive (Go Massif were good for transfer). The whole area was great for a mixed ability group, lots of interesting on piste options and pretty well linked together. From (very old) memories Chamonix was a bit bitty with separated areas but I haven't been there for years so don't how it has developed. Flaine village itself is a bit ugly (unless you love concrete) but perfect location in a high bowl, Samoens etc are nicer and link up well but are lower. I wouldn't expect a problem in March though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cham grand montets mid section has high altitude blues which sound like it would fit the bill. Alternatively avoriaz is close to Geneva (lower but should be okay) or for guaranteed snow tignes, la plagne, val thorens all have high intermediate areas.

Maybe hiring a car is a good bet to chase best conditions and do airport transfers.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@malarkey99, not convinced Cham necessary. Morzine or Les Gets would be my suggestion. Or Grand Massif (e.g. les Carroz)?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chamonix probably not ideal for you. Flaine would be good to be close to the snow (it's not high, but probably high enough in March) but Morzine would have more "life" around you in the evenings if that's important to you.

Alternatively, stay at this lovely place in Sallanches and drive to where the snow is nice. Maybe a day in Les Contamines, a day in Megeve, if conditions are still reasonable - which is likely. Lots of alternative destinations too. http://www.orangeriemontblanc.com/

Beautifully short and early drive on your arrival.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice everyone. Really helpful. Looking at Flaine & Avoriaz, have skied both but not stayed in either. Will try chalets direct solutions room to see if any catered grand massif or portes du soleil catered options as there may be another 3/4 people coming too & I'm not cooking for everyone!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@malarkey99, neither Flaine nor Avoriaz are likely to have much choice, if any, in terms of catered chalets. They are mostly apartments, being purpose built and all. Weekends in France generally imply hotels as well as apartments tend to run Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun.

You could try http://www.chillypowder.com
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@malarkey99, End of march, piste skiing, near to Geneva, snow sure - I would head for Portes du Soleil ski area. If you want a nice/pretty mountain town stay in Morzine. The Morzine snow can be thin around end of march but if you can easily get the gondola up to Avoriaz (high ski area, snow sure at end of march) from Morzine town. For that reason I would favour Morzine over Les Gets. If you're mainly interested in skiing and not bothered by the town then no need to stay in Morzine, just stay in Avoriaz.

The real upside to Chamonix is the off piste. If you're not interested in that then you will find the pistes somewhat limited compared with say Portes du soleil. Have a look at the piste map for Grand Montets and Brevant/Flegere to get a better idea, in particular look at the range of piste skiing >2000m. That should give you a pretty good idea if you think Chamonix is worth going to.

N.B. wherever you go there may be lots of snow below 2000m at that time but for a late march weekend trip in my opinion its best to be safe and go high.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy