Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Real Life Oligarchs of Russia

Poster: A snowHead
We just had a very nice week in Verbier with The Lad and The Lass.

Both are qualified and experienced instructors (ISIA and BASI2) who take holiday from job and university to work for top ski schools in Verbier for the peak times.
They enjoy it, they earn good money and they have nice parents who like going there too.

The Lad had six days with a full scale Russian Oligarch and his family. Not your average multi millionaire, we are talking full scale Billionaire with a Wikipedia entry as long as your arm...130m superyacht with helicopter on board...the whole works!
No names to be mentioned...his reach is long and his background "varied"!
Family were a nightmare, horrendously behaved children, very difficult and demanding wife, monosyllabic father.
One lunchtime, in Verbier's best restaurant, the kids were running around and knocked a waiter over as he was serving some other guests...not a word of apology or reprimand. One afternoon the wife asked for some private tuition and at the end of the day demanded that The Lad buy her a drink..."I do not carry cash!"
He suffered with the thought of The Tip...and at the end of the last day the Oligarch Billionaire told The Lad
"I do not tip anyone. People must learn to live with their pay. This is my life lesson to you!"

The Lass was teaching the family of a very well known British person.
She has taught them several times before, lovely well behaved kids, very down to earth parents. Nearly as rich as The Oligarch, but if you met them for a beer they are as normal as normal can be.
She got a good tip!

The Russians said "we do not like Verbier, it is too steep, next year we go to Courcheval"
The Lad said "That's a good idea"
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A colleague of mine was left a boot-full of brand new Spyder clothing and thousands of pounds of skis and ski equipment as a "tip" because his Russian guest had no inclination to burden himself with his family's luggage for the return trip.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes Makes me very ashamed of my Russian background.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rungsp,

I think I would have told the guy,

"I don't fund over indulgent wive's who scrounge of people who actually work for their money rather than ask their ignorrant husband for some cash, or do you not teach your wife to pay her way. My life lesson to you is you all suck not just at skiing but as members of the human race, enjoy Courchavel because they will not enjoy you."
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My son cooked for a 3 generation Russian family in Courchevel last winter. There were some communication difficulties but he managed - and he said they were civil and the kids not too spoilt or badly behaved.

They paid €3000 a week to the agent for the cook, and the cook got €2000 of that. Food was charged at cost, on top. I hope their ski instructors get paid well too!

They gave him a generous tip at the end of the week and left masses of stuff including the leftover caviar (bought from Russia, better and cheaper than Courchevel), cut glassware, some expensive toys just a little bit broken.

This year he worked for a British family. Same sort of deal. They were sociable and appreciative and insisted on including the chef in, for example, their new year celebrations. He arrived home with lots of leftovers, a nice tip and memories of a very satisfying week. Hard work - there's rarely any skiing during these cheffing weeks.

He was to have done the second new year week with a Russian group, but they cancelled - sign of the times (and of course the snow was very poor, which didn't help).

He's mostly had agreeable clients including several French, Portuguese and at least one wealthy British aristocrat.

He has enjoyed some previous Russians more because they were educated and spoke good English - and the older ones have some fascinating stories to tell of the changes they have seen. The younger ones are not so good - and the way things are going one senses they are going to get worse. But there are going to be fewer of them about, by the look of it, and some resorts will probably miss them!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 23-02-15 21:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pedantica wrote:
rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes Makes me very ashamed of my Russian background.

Nothing wrong with your background, some people are just fool of sh...t and it could be of any nationality. Neperezhyvay Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@speed098, My wife used to live and work in Russia, having a degree in Russian; in reality, it would be a brave man/woman indeed who would say this. These people didn't get where they are today by....being nice. Sad
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@speed098, if you had read this guy's Wikipedia entry you would not have said any such thing....you would have sucked it up just like The Lad.

When I say his background was "varied" I do not mean that he has had several jobs....you need to read between the lines!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I remember in my first season one of my colleagues taught a very rich Russian... She was invited to some of the best restaurants for lunch and dinner every day, and at the end of the week they bought her a pair of €800 Kästle skis!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mrs L and I were in a small hotel in Selva with a group of squat middle-aged Russian men, accompanied by pneumatic young blondes (their nieces, obviously). Apart from getting very drunk every evening, in a not too anti-social way, they were fine. I was their German-English translator, so they could understand and order from the menu each evening. Never saw a tip though. wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rungsp,

20 plus years ago yes I would have sucked it up and sucked some more Embarassed But not these days I still try to be nice to as many people as I can so the wife wanting the drink yes I would have taken on the chin, but then when he said that, he would have got both barrels with reload even if he had protectors armed to the teeth stood next to him. I just don't give a damn about people like that and who they think they might be or be.

If he had just given a £20 tip I would not be bothered, or even just a handshake a thankyou and you made our holiday this year all the best, but if he said what your son said he did nope gloves are off.

@rungsp, I know exactly what you said re varied don't worry ( image of Italian with certain type of music case then multiply by factor of x and y ).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@speed098, as someone once said to me, you're either f*ing hard or f*ing stupid. I was f*ing stupid, but got away with it.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@laundryman, Neither just don't give a damn about people like that they only get away with doing it because peole let them. When you actually look at it what would he actually do to me ? Not much I would not be worth the possible issues it would cause even if at worst it meant he could never come to western Europe again. You tell him how his wife scrounged/spunged off a low paid instructor and how he thinks people should live off /with their pay yet his wife thus then him are not doing. All I want is what you said, or was it just words to avoid giving a tip?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@speed098, it's certainly an admirable stance.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@laundryman, Maybe, and you may be right it may be foolish but I would be a lot worse for not doing it.

Thanks for the advice anyway, probably never will be in that position and feel sorry for rungsp, son having to put up with someone who not only showed himself up but did the image of Russian people no favours.
latest report
@speed098, +1
snow report
@mooney058, Smile Yeah, you're right.
latest report
@speed098, Well after you have said your bit, don't, whatever happens, sit down to a nice cup of tea with any nice Russian gents in London hotels. Laughing
snow report
@cstreat, Laughing
snow conditions
Never stay in a hotel with buffet food with Russians. In my experience, they strip the platters bare - but then leave half of it on their tables. Pure arrogance and disregard for others.
latest report
@cstreat, Laughing and watch out for umbrellas
latest report
cstreat wrote:
@speed098, Well after you have said your bit, don't, whatever happens, sit down to a nice cup of tea with any nice Russian gents in London hotels. Laughing

Well thank god I don't drink tea or coffee or for that fact live in London wink

pam w wrote:
@cstreat, Laughing and watch out for umbrellas

Don't bother up here it rains that much plus with the wind no point. Only foriegners and Yorkshiremen ( is there a difference ? ) use them NehNeh
ski holidays
I can understand foreigners.
snow conditions
I've been to Russia about 40-50 times over the last 10 years or so. In that time I've worked closely with about a dozen billionaires and Lord knows how many who would simply be classed as mega-rich. Almost without exception I would say they have been absolutely charming with immaculate manners. Sometimes Russian manners are simply different from ours. For example, they may be more relaxed about using mobiles in restaurants, but are often far better at greeting everyone when they enter a room full of strangers.

@rungsp's Lad may have met a particularly unpleasant one, but that certainly doesn't mean all of the oligarchs are rude or charmless.

Re: tips. While I certainly wouldn't have expressed it in the way the oligarch did I do share some of his attitude. If someone 'expects' a tip, they probably aren't going to get one. A tip is for services above and beyond what you have already paid for. [There are some exceptions e.g. restaurants and taxis where the situation is less clear] I also don't generally believe in tipping the self-employed. I also dislike any suggestion that the size of a tip should depend upon the wealth of the giver. It should be in proportion to the quality of service, not the bank balance of the tipper.

As an aside, some of the oligarchs may have got rich through nefarious activities, but certainly looking at the current crop they would definitely be in a small minority. Most ahve made their money through being in the right place, at the right time (and sometimes knowing the right people)
snow report
Incidentally, I do business in about 24 different countries. The Russians I've dealt with have always paid their bills, on time, with no fuss and frequently no written contract. The only nation that I am reluctant to deal with is the French. Sad
snow report
Some billionaires have badly behaved children, can be rude, and are tight gits… is this really a surprise Puzzled
latest report
@miranda,
Quote:

Some billionaires have badly behaved children, can be rude, and are tight gits… is this really a surprise

Not really and I doubt that, on average, they are any better or worse than anyone else. In my experience, they are just ordinary people with an extraordinary amount of money.
latest report
Scrumpy wrote:
Never stay in a hotel with buffet food with Russians. In my experience, they strip the platters bare - but then leave half of it on their tables. Pure arrogance and disregard for others.

I've been in hotels with buffets with a majority of Russians. I've not had that problem. Or maybe this Brit is as just as avid for "all you can eat" as the average Russian. Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
In my experience, they are just ordinary people with an extraordinary amount of money.

To be honest, I really don't think you can be "ordinary" when you have that sort of money - some do better at keeping their feet nearer to the ground than others though (and it really doesn't take billions to have that elevating effect in my experience).

And as for the badly behaved children… send them my way and they'll soon learn the error of their ways Twisted Evil Laughing
snow report
There's and old rule about never buying a big house on an upmarket road as you're likely to have lousy neighbours
snow conditions
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
There's and old rule about never buying a big house on an upmarket road as you're likely to have lousy neighbours

Very true though my neighbours approx 300 of them are serving time at her majesty's pleasure Very Happy
snow report
Scrumpy wrote:
Never stay in a hotel with buffet food with Russians. In my experience, they strip the platters bare.....

You've obviously never seen the snowHeads on a Birthday Bash at the Portavescovo evening buffet...... wink Laughing
snow report
Quote:

Not really and I doubt that, on average, they are any better or worse than anyone else. In my experience, they are just ordinary people with an extraordinary amount of money.

Disagree. You don't get to be a Russian Billionaire by being Mr nice.
snow conditions
@kat.ryb,
Quote:

You don't get to be a Russian Billionaire by being Mr nice.
On what do you base that statement? In the 90's I dare say quite a few got rich and weren't very nice in the process. They were pretty unpleasant times. However, to imply that you can't get rich in Russia without being unpleasant is way off the mark.
latest report
kat.ryb wrote:
Disagree. You don't get to be a Russian Billionaire by being Mr nice.

Neither you get British or any other billionaire by being Mr. Nice ;) But yes, Russians are bad, so if one is as**ole , all of Russians must be, as they are all same. But then again, I think the same about Brits and Dutch skiers :-D
snow report
there is an old russian saying that goes like this: "There is no worse a lord than one who used to be a serf".

Many russian (and ukrainian for that matter) oligarchs, politicians and high profile officials have made their way up to from the very bottom.
Their snobbery and arrogance grew along with them.

This is anecdotal of course, doesn't apply to everyone.
snow report
@oleksii,
Quote:

This is anecdotal of course, doesn't apply to everyone.

Indeed. I have no doubt there are some absolute shockers but, as I said above, my experience has been very different from that of the OP.
snow conditions
@foxtrotzulu, also bear in mind that they behave completely differently with people whom they regard as equal or close to them (family, business partners, fellow oligarchs, etc) and those who they describe as 'cattle' - i.e. standing far below them on the social ladder. Difference in your experience and that of OP may well be explained by that.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 3-03-15 15:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
The Boss and I chatted to some Russians in a Gondola a couple of years back. They were gorgeous, charming and spoke betterer English than what we does.
latest report
All nouveau excessively rich people struggle with their new life. However in my considerable experience, generally irrespective of their nationality, the scum floating at the top tends to be of the middle class mentality/background with a scant few lumps of pikey-esque origins. Those that made their money well tend to be appreciative and generally rather pleasant. Those who perhaps won (lottery) it or acquired it through nefarious means aren't so pleasant. I've been tipped well unexpectedly, and sometimes those that I thought would be good tippers weren't. Often a plumber's mate will have far more 'class' than city w****r banker. A classic example is that the Laird and the ghillie will get on famously and share a similar humour and outlook on the world whereas Mrs Bucket - sorry, Mrs Bo-kay - just peeves everybody off!!! Laughing

And don't get me started on bloody Parisians.... Mad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy