Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please tell me about your kids' school ski hols...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

suspect that a lot of teachers would be content to take more "risks" if they could be sure that parents - or the school - wouldn't blame them if it went wrong.

Yes I agree. I've written before about a teacher of mine who took early retirement because he was no longer able to take kids on the outdoor activities that were so valuable to me. I don't think schools are at fault. Society as a whole, including most of us parents, are at fault. As I say, despite my feelings, I've been more risk averse than my parents concerning my kids independence. Truly, apart from busier roads, I don't think the world is more dangerous for this generation of children than mine. I was definitely walking to and from school at a younger age than we allowed our kids - don't think the route was any more dangerous. It feels hard to be at the forefront - to let your children go before other parents do, to break the herd mentality.
In our defence, our oldest has to carry epipens and we had to feel he was ready to deal with the onset of anaphylaxis if it should happen which required a little more maturity.

Quote:

It would be interesting to know what SH parents do about young kids on ski holidays. At what age do you allow them to go off on their own?

I would let my oldest go now (12) around Les Contamines (which he knows) with a similarly mature and sensible friend. His younger sister (10) is a sensible girl but I don't yet want to ask him to take responsibility for her.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jedster, think you are right about blaming "society" i am equally conscious of the fact that I was allowed more independance and freedom than I allow my eldest at the same age.

The evidence is - look at what has happened with high profile murders/ disappearances - you get huge amounts of accusations thrown at the parents!!!! rather than blaming the perpetrators of the crime.

That extends further in things like messages you get from the police re "don't leave valubles on show in cars", "don't leave windows open in your house" the victims are themselves blamed for inviting that crime to happen by doing those things, NO the people who carried out the burglaries are to blame!!!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Claims against local authorities, banks and hospitals are the main ways that the British working person is using to try and bridge the ever widening wealth gap. PPI, Accident at work? Whiplash in a car etc. etc. This is the only way many people in our country are ever likely to get a cash injection of a few thousand pounds. Sad, but true.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

The evidence is - look at what has happened with high profile murders/ disappearances - you get huge amounts of accusations thrown at the parents!!!!

I know. And when I give in to that pressure I am being selfish - protecting myself against a microscopic risk of blame and regret rather than doing what is in my childrens' true best interest.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Apart from busier roads, things are certainly no more dangerous for kids - and even with the busier roads the child mortality rate is far, far, less than when I was young. It's astonishing how much safer - in lots of ways - life is for today's kids, yet parents are absolutely paranoid.

It's a funny old world.

Partly, of course, the mortality rate has dropped because of things which people moan about sometimes - such as more understanding of what can harm a foetus (and therefore more "rules" for pregnant women).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jedster wrote:
Quote:

The evidence is - look at what has happened with high profile murders/ disappearances - you get huge amounts of accusations thrown at the parents!!!!

I know. And when I give in to that pressure I am being selfish - protecting myself against a microscopic risk of blame and regret rather than doing what is in my childrens' true best interest.

and hence why I am always so conflicted.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On the whole skiing alone / without instructors bit, I've done a few school ski trips as an instructor and, aside from the whole wait until they're able to ski bit, the biggest stopper to this is the kids themselves. After 5 hrs of exercise a day for a few days, all but the experienced skiers are shattered.

The most recent trip I was on was supposed to have 6 hrs of lessons a day, but the kids simply couldn't sustain that. I'm not then going to let tired, inexperienced kids loose on a resort for an hour or two at the end of the week...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stoke (no not the town) has just been bumped up a few notches.

After we got a letter home about the school ski trip I asked those running it what they would have in place for kids that can jump, spin, ski backwards and straight line blacks.

A few days later I got a reply saying blah blah blay yes we will but you're too late now, he can go on the reserve list.

Got a phone call at lunchtime to say someone had dropped out and as he was top of said list did he want to go.

HELL YES!

Now I get to plot another "outside of half term" adult only skiing holiday... woop woop![/code]
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
edit:- and I got so excited I posted it twice...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
So pleased it worked out for you Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So, one knackered 17 year old who like @homers double, Jnr won his jump,spin, backwards and straight line blacks stripes some years ago arrived back from his Pila school trip today...............and is absolutely raving about the brilliant time he had both on and off the slopes. Such a good time in fact that he's added himself to the reserve list for next year, if his first choice of the Interski scholarship, (which looks highly competitive, so we're not counting chickens) doesn't pan out for him instead.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Our kids went with ElementalUK to Les Orres this year and had a fab time and we raised the same question about travel time leaving 5 days skiing. We were told that they can happily offer flights because they'll have ABTA and ATOL (is this right). So why do so many schools take a coach? Surely a cheap flight is well.. Er... cheaper? The extra day or 2 of skiig shouldn't hike the price too much?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
prouddadofhettie wrote:
So why do so many schools take a coach? Surely a cheap flight is well.. Er... cheaper? The extra day or 2 of skiig shouldn't hike the price too much?
The logic espoused by any teacher I've posed this question to, is: the coach arrives outside the school, the parents make sure their respective kids' bags are on the bus then that their respective kids are on the bus and it subsequently stays that way, with the exception of the occasional toilet stop, all the way to resort. Hence, all kids and all luggage arrives with no more administration on the teachers' shoulders than a few head-counts along the route.
If the kids forget stuff on the way home, that again is a matter for the parents to deal with as the holiday is over by then.

Flights involve more changes and in particular baggage reclaim so some little darling will turn up in resort without 'everything' and that's going to be the teachers' headache to sort out.

They're more willing to use flights for 6th formers.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For the meeting with the school’s head I have been asked to bring in a letter from my employer showing the dates I’ll be out of the UK. So I hope it should be OK as I really want to take her skiing again as she's doing really well (red run last season, I can't find a proud mummy icon ). If all else fails I’ll have to look at something, cheap, at Easter.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Lisa_BrentaSki, wrong thread? Just giving you a heads up incase it is.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy