Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Villeneuve old village Serre Chevalier 1400

Poster: A snowHead
Hi its me again running a location by you...
Have found a possible seasonal long let here.
What would it be like to live here for three months if you were not a skier?
Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks Pamw, Marcellus is now helping me x
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@poppyb, it would be an excellent location. Plenty of winter walks, shops and restaurants close by and a decent bus service to Briancon.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks that's reassuring Hells Bells
Am I right in thinking it's a function built ski resort despite the genuinely sounding name 'old village'?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's actually a stones throw from the Arovet lift/gondola if that locates it for you?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@poppyb, Villeneuve is a mix of real old villages and purpose built ski accommodation. Do you have a link to any photos? You can PM me it, and it might help me to locate it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Hells Bells
Do you know the Aravet ski lift?
It's right there apparently
75 metres away from it.
There's no pic of the outside.
It's a studio apartment.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@poppyb, ah ok, it is in purpose built accommodation then I expect. What I would call the old village is across the main road from there, but it's still in the middle of everything. Still a good location for a non-skier.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Google Street view will give you some idea of what to expect.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@poppyb, that sounds a great location. Is it affordable? Is your OH able to get out and about under his own steam? It might be a bit too restrictive being in a studio, which usually means sleeping and eating etc etc in one room, if he's going to be spending much time on his own.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would find a studio quite restrictive for a season. A 1 bed apartment means hubby can watch DVD/TV etc and I can read in the bedroom.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
but then it won't be as small as a motorhome (hopefully)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks both of you
I do appreciate the advice.
You are right - it's not as restrictive as a motor home but small none the less.... There are actually 2 bedrooms so not quite sure why they are calling it studio.
We are hoping to have loads of visitors in the spare room so I think he'll be quite well entertained and he is very self sufficient - as long as we can get wifi!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@poppyb, probably because the bedrooms are really just 'coin montagne', very small and only space for bunks or sofa bed, and no room for any additional furniture.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PamW it is affordable but at €150 a week i'm not sure I really believe it....
Yes he can get out and about - just a bit worried he may fall on icy pavements but will have to get boots with good traction.
Just bought a book on motor homing which said something like : ' dedicated to Laurie who instead of saying 'he'd do it next year, did it this year. Unfortunately there wasn't a next year.'
This says it all for my partner's approach really.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@poppyb, we have some great snow chains which pull over normal boots. They've been great when it is slippy.
snow report
@poppyb, can you find out which residence the studio is in? I can investigate further.
snow conditions
I've gone back and scrutinised the photos and yes it is all one room - cleverly angled to give impression of more space. Bunk beds in one corner and sofa bed in another - no walls dividing it.
We may need to go yet again back to the drawing board on this one .....
Thank you for questioning it!!
We will have to see what Marcellus comes up with.
snow conditions
I suppose we can always go with last minute cheap bookings week to week - not sure I'm that brave though!
latest report
Quote:

we have some great snow chains which pull over normal boots

that sort of thing makes a huge difference - as does walking with a couple of ski poles - using a backpack for shopping, wallet, etc.

A motorhome used in the summer is only restrictive when it rains. In nice weather you sit outside, under an awning if it's drizzly, or hot.

If you want to have visitors in your winter home (which would be a v good thing) you are going to need at least a proper one bedroom flat, which would be a bit cosy when visitors are there (as one lot would have to sleep in the living room) but give you a bit more space when you are on your own.

All French real estate advertising ought to give the square metres - and if it doesn't, ask for it.

I wouldn't think it's likely you'll get anything reasonable within walking distance of a lift in a decent ski area for €150 a week. If it seems too good to be true it probably is.

Ask questions also about cooking facilities (a lot of little places won't have an oven, for example). And check whether, if there's no washing machine, there's a laundrette not too far away.
snow report
@poppyb, I did find one studio online that had bunks in the hallway and it was only 18 sq m in total, which is not a lot of space in which to spend 3 months, and no space for visitors.
snow conditions
Thanks Pam
I'm quite happy to be a drive away from the slopes. Prefer to be in the town for husband.
Yes i think we'll hold out for a two bedroom place now. Have been forewarned indeed!
ski holidays
@poppyb, my friend Melanie mentioned above has an apartment for rent in Briancon that is 2 bedroom?
ski holidays
Thanks Hells Bells
Yes please !
could you kindly put us in touch?
ski holidays
@poppyb,
There are some very tatty looking apartment buildings near the Aravet gondola as well as some slightly better looking ones. Personally I think Briancon (or at least bits of it) would be a far nicer place to stay for a non skier.
snow report
Thanks T bar
It's all to do with finding a cheap property so it could be anywhere now. Not really fussed where.
ski holidays
@poppyb, I've sent you a PM with some contact details.
latest report
Thanks Hells Bells
It hasn't come through yet.
Not sure how to find it... No notification at the top so far.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy