Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steepest piste in Europe seen from the Brenner pass.

Poster: A snowHead
I've driven over the Brenner many times, often seen skiers but not realised they were on the steepest slope in Europe. Anyone ever skied it?

http://youtube.com/v/J90tWd3Z038
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It doesn't look very steep to be honest
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No, it doesn't look that steep. The snow sounds absolutely horrible, though!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pedantica wrote:
No, it doesn't look that steep. The snow sounds absolutely horrible, though!

ah that's Austria for you, on the Sudflanke it rains to 3000 meters!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looks pretty steep to me
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
don't have youtube here. is that Steinach am Brenner?
certainly interesting seeing skiers literally the other side of the crash barrier, and the gondola that goes under the autobahn (there's another on the Italian side that goes over the autobahn).
didn't realise the steepest piste was there, but then there are several places that try to claim that title.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pretty sure it's not the steepest in Europe...

However if you look in the other direction along the Brenner to Nordkette on the other side of Innsbruck you you will see some of Europe's steepest marked trails...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thought the hara kiri was tbe steepest?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
halfhand wrote:
Thought the hara kiri was tbe steepest?

There are 5 or 6 claiming it at last count, I think.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It is Steinach am Brenner and it is definitely not the steepest in Europe - currently they are arguing whether the Harikiri in Mayrhofen is or the new black piste they have created in Sterzing (named after Mani Pranger). It just looks steep from where you view it from the motorway, once on it, it is not even a black if I remember correctly, a steepish red at best!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are a few claiming to be the steepest though this one tops most lists I've seen.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
46% and someone has altered the sign?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.bergfex.com/bergeralm/panorama/ - click on the + sign to zoom in!

The ones you can see are the red Familienabfahrt and the FIS World Cup run named after Manni Pranger which are both officially categorised as red. There is a route under the Bergeralmbahn but that is not an official piste, it is classified as a ski route (the dotted line with the red triangle on it). I've skied the area but refused to entertain bouncing down on my backside on to the Brenner Autobahn by taking the Variente! Too much of a Directissima for my weak stomach and messed up knees. The shorter blacks at the top are "interesting" as well.

I knew one of them in the area had the Manni Pranger slope, but I thought it was the one off the Rosskopf (Monte Cavello) in Sterzing.

This article is possibly one of the sources of misinformation: http://yellowgentian.com/snow-articles/steepest-ski-pistes-in-the-european-alps

Here's another one showing that basically they all agree to disagree! wink http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/steep-thrills-italys-recessionhit-resorts-put-faith-in-hairraising-black-pistes-8967691.html
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was this filmed on April 1st?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've skied the area, but not that slope. When I was there (Jan 2012), the direct slope had insufficient snow and was unskiable and not marked as a piste on the map. I did read that they were hoping to re-open it as an official piste, but looking at the latest piste map ( http://www.bergeralm.net/tl_files/bergeralm/download/Pistenpanorama-2014_15.pdf ) that has not happened. I don't think it has ever been open much: http://www.bergeralm.net/press.html
snow report
How steep is Tortin, in Verbier?
snow report
Arno wrote:
46% and someone has altered the sign?

good spot - pause the video at around 7 seconds and you can see the white tape over the remainder of the %!
ski holidays
@ Samerberg Sue: With the ideas for which slopes/pistes are steeper or steepest, I would love to see which it is. Could you show it maybe with www.slopescience.com?
latest report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
the new black piste they have created in Sterzing (named after Mani Pranger).

What a terrifically apt name for the steepest piste!
snow conditions
It's named after one of the locals who was a rather good slalom skier! wink http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manfred_Pranger. If you can read German there is a fuller biography in the German version!

@lanajop, irrelevant as it is not an official piste, it is a ski route. They can be almost flat to near enough vertical in places, so they are not graded.
ski holidays
A ski route is still a (secured) slope to ski, wasn't that the primary question for the steepest?
ski holidays
lanajop wrote:
A ski route is still a (secured) slope to ski, wasn't that the primary question for the steepest?

No. It said steepest "piste". Which implies it is pisted.

I have thought for years that the Hari-Kiri in Mayrhofen was the main claimant to that title.
ski holidays

78% according to the sign
snow conditions
Ah, the old trick of using a percent rather than degrees to make it sound steeper.
I'm assuming this was what was meant a few years ago when I overheard someone saying they had skied a 78degree piste!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy