Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

3D maps?!

Poster: A snowHead
Go a 3D map in my skiing mag - has anyone actually used these on the slopes?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No...but looking at the one I got in my mag, I won't be trying. Give me a flat sheet of paper any day!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have one of 3V and one of Kitzbuhel, and I can't imagine using them on the slopes. For some reason I find them mildly entertaining and quite clever, a bit like making a swan out of a piece of paper.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah but I have heard that the one of the Ski Welt (Soll, Ellmau, Scheffau etc.) is infinitely superior to the flat map that tried (completely unsuccessfully) to show the whole area in 2D on one map.

I believe it depends on the resort/mountain in question.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was looking at a 3D map the other day that fell out of a ski magazine. It look me a couple of seconds to unfold and a good 10 minutes to fold back up again! Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I bought the the Trois Vallee 3D Piste Map for two trips earlier this year and although in truth I preferred the traditional 'flat' version, some members of my group found it very useful. I think it made things easier for some of the less experienced navigators.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just realised that my comment above might be construed as a bit arrogant. It wasn't meant to be Blush ............ I was just trying to say that the 3D map helped people improve as naviigators.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I bought the Ski Welt 3D map and it folds out and back in very naturally, it gives a much improved perspective of the mountain layouts and it's waterproof.

The one downside is that if you're slightly colourblind (as I am) then the colours for the runs are not easily distinguished (especially where the thick circuit lines intersect).

If you're looking at mountain hopping then I believe the 3D map wins hands down.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I bought the Three Valley map in jan/feb 05 as I am interested in maps. On the transfer to resort & at the rep meeting they (Thompson(Crystal)) piushed them heavily and claimed the maps were 'exclusive to Thompson' !
In both cases their faces visibly fell when I told them I had one already Shocked .
I rarely required a flat or 3D map - our mini SCGB splinter group 'leader' knew the area v.well and became our talking piste map.! Thanks 'Swiss Bob' snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick-o, the Verbier one I got with Fall Line mag dosnt fold back as well as the Three Valleys one.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you are a woman then you will need to hold the 3d map high in the air so that you can see underneath when you turn it upside down.

Nick-o, I presume you are a man. Why do you need a map Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've just noticed that my 3V 3D map omits the Col de la Loz chairlift, which might be a bit confusing if you're haeding from Courchevel to Meribel.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richmond, Its closed this morning. Do you have one of the new interactive smart maps?

. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman, maps and instructions are for girls and queers. Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, Thats what my lesbian lover told me....sweetie.
snow conditions
Do people like the Verbier map in Fall Line? We might put another one one if it's popular.
What else can we stick on the mag to bribe people into buying it?
Also, if you're bribed one month, will you buy the mag next month?
Questions, questions.
snow conditions
fallliner wrote:
What else can we stick on the mag to bribe people into buying it?

It's a tricky one. I worked on a ski magazine where the publishers used to stick on naff things like suncream sachets (admittedly useful if there's a high UV risk in the newsagent). Slightly better were lip salves, because they're worth something - to the extent that people would rip the gift off the magazine and not buy it!

Putting the mag in a bag with the gift(s) runs the risk that the person actually interested in tasting the articles and photos inside is prevented from opening the magazine.

Maybe the answer is 3-D ski magazines with pop-up ski boots in the equipment section.
snow report
fallliner, I like Fall line mag, unfortunately my local newsagent does not stock it, at least not regularly ??? I have to buy it from a Borders book store, and I don't get over there that much. The mag does seem to be pitched at a more advanced level of skiier than me, but it's great to aspire to this.
In terms of bribery, I reckon one of those 'respect the mountains' metal boxes would be a good giveaway. They must be around the same sort of price as a 3D piste map ? ie a few euro
snow conditions
fallliner, Would love to be able to comment but I can't find your latest edition anywhere in East Anglia, have they all sold out or not arrived in these parts yet? Normally have no problem - even Smiths in Bury has it usually.
snow report
I had one of those 3-d map malarkys free with my latest copy of Fall-line. As far as i could tell it didn't help my orientation that much - but that may be cos i know the layout of the place anyway - it might be helpful for the first day in a new place I guess.

THe real thing was... it was WATER PROOF! Give me an easy fold up water-proof ski map any day! I need a new one every two days, dunno how but they get destroyed very quickly.
snow report
I bought (!) a 3D map last year for the 3V... I never used it on the slopes, as I am so used to the 2D maps, the 3D map didn't give me the detail I needed. Plus it missed out some runs as indicated above. Easy to fold and waterproof / tough were the main selling points thou. It also came with a loop that could be attached to a lanyard so you could 'wear' it round your neck - easy to access, I guess. But all in, not really worth it in the end...

Saddo that I am and my point for replying is that I now take a sheet of clear sticky backed plastic with me and 'laminate' ( to the amusement of my friends )the free piste maps when I get to resort. They are then tough enough to last the week, and don't tear in to myriad pieces in the wind... plus they are then thick enough to open handle in gloves !
snow conditions
Quote:
Saddo that I am and my point for replying is that I now take a sheet of clear sticky backed plastic with me and 'laminate' ( to the amusement of my friends )the free piste maps when I get to resort.

I don't think you're a saddo at all. You're the first obvious genius I've encountered on this forum in two years.
snow report
Can you fold a piste map after it has been laminated in this way Richie_S ? If so, sounds like a sensible idea.....
latest report
yeah i'm sure you could - stick it under a load of books!

On a different note - there's now a 3D map on ebay wink
snow report
Timberwolf,

Hi - if you let me know which newsagent I can get copies in there. You can reserve a copy - we are listed in a giant book of every magazine and they can order mags in for individuals. Or you could subscribe, of course... www.fall-lineskiing.co.uk

Cheers

Richard Fincher, Publisher
latest report
Also, I have looked at making a magazine with a pop-up mountain range in it, but we had problems with the tectonic printing plates.
snow report
fallliner, very good Laughing Laughing
snow report
I bought the 4 Vallees map - have to say I thought it was worse than the 'freebie' paper version and no use whatsoever in practice, and the 'contours' didn't correspond with reality in Printze/Mont Fort ... given to my daughter as a souvenir
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
fallliner, how many more issues of your magazine are due out this season? I mean if I ordered 6 issues now, what would I get?
snow report
RachelQ

Sorry to be so late - I've been away.

If you order six issue now you should get the last issue this season plus the next five next season. We run out of steam at the start of March (last issue out March 2, new season starts mid-Sept. Don't worry, it'll fly by...)
ski holidays
Falliner - the best giveaway is probably dvds. I enjoyed the VAST awards one & I'm sure Whitelines does very well out of its snowboarding DVD issues which this year were top quality. Can't be too hard for you to sew up a deal on some of the previous season movies - just don't make them too jibtastic.

Pop up map entertained me for 20 seconds then has been consigned to the back of a cupboard. Also tried to subscribe this year but failed on a couple of occasions to get through on your subscription line.
latest report
I bought one this year for the skiwelt it actually has one of the lifts going downhill Great Confused
latest report
Many thanks for the feedback. We're looking at getting some more movies, plus a couple of other bits and bobs...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy