Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel Rant

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys I would like your views on this:

I went to Hemel for 2 hours this morning. It was busy as you would expect this time of year. Anyway while waiting in line for the lift I was aware of an Ski instructor talking to one of his students. As the conversation went on he suddenly dropped the line "I hate snowboarders, they are blind and dangerous".

I actually felt offended by this but then I do at times take things to heart and maybe I shouldn't. I thought it was unprofessional for an Instructor to say such a thing. I almost reported the comment to the manager but thought better of it.

Am I being OTT or do you agree with me?

Discuss
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chrisrawles, not discussing...you should have reported the comment as unprofessional
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chrisrawles, Definitely uncalled for. Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unprofessional if he was instructing, but was he actually instructing or was he skiing with a friend?

If with a friend though the first statement still rings true we have to accept everyone has a right to their own opinion as missguided and narrow minded as it may be. I do not think it would be right to report in this case even though he has an instructors jacket on. But if he was instructing he is representing the company and his personal opinion may be construed as the company opinion he needs to be told to be more aware of what he says and who might hear it. So if you do not report him I would say have a quiet word with him next time you go there.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No he was taking a lesson. Had the uniform on as well.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd have taken out a gun and shot him.
Actually unless the comment was addressed at me I'd have taken a chill pill and possibly thought the guy was a bit of a tosser, but you don't know if he was being ironic or facetious or had just been cut up by a boarder and letting off a bit of steam.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@T Bar, +1
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@T Bar, I decided to take he chill pill as boarders are that much cooler Cool LOL
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah but he was right though Twisted Evil
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@halfhand, beat me to it . . . Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@halfhand, we're exactly as blind as skiers, ie we do not have eyes in the backs of our heads.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Lizzard, Just a bit of flippancy. Try it sometime wink Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Try being polite sometime?

As to the OP, if I was clearly within earshot then I'd probably have said "excuse me" and taken it from there.

He'd either back off or dig his hole deeper, and even though it's a stupid comment he probably wouldn't be stupid enough to do that. An altercation could cost him his living: insulting punters is not good for anyone's business.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@philwig,
Quote:

Who? Me?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skiers have equal vision to either side of their direction of travel but a boarder has much less vision to the heel side of their direction, my brother has been hospitalised twice by boarders. Skiers have to allow for boarders that can not look fully where they are going on heel edge turns
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
unless the comment was addressed at me I'd have taken a chill pill and possibly thought the guy was a bit of a tosser, but you don't know if he was being ironic or facetious or had just been cut up by a boarder and letting off a bit of steam.

Yes, he was a tosser and unprofessional but reporting someone for an overheard off-the-cuff remark is over the top when his job might be at risk.

Actually, once I had to gently inform a skier friend about boarders having a blind side when she was ranting about one nearly bumping into her. She'd never thought about it before rolling eyes .
snow report
@chrisrawles, have you never said anything at work someone might have found offensive had they overheard it. Maybe you have but nobody mentioned it. Maybe you got your knickers on too tight?
ski holidays
Never realised boarders are so touchy. Could it not just have been jocular comment that was never meant to be misheard?

But if it helps, I think ALL boarders are c*nts.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Before the heat hits, I WAS JOKING.

Well, sort of. Laughing
snow conditions
thecramps wrote:
Before the heat hits, I WAS JOKING.

Well, sort of. Laughing

You only meant some of them ( 99% ) NehNeh
latest report
tangowaggon wrote:
... Skiers have to allow for boarders that can not look fully where they are going on heel edge turns...

Boarders, like everyone else, need to look into the space they're about to turn into. Anyone who doesn't do that is dangerous to boarders as well as skiers. You can't have people careering about the slopes without looking where they're going.

Lessons may help with this; it doesn't require much competence, just a turn of the head.
snow report
chrisrawles wrote:
Am I being OTT or do you agree with me?

Doesn't even qualify as a first world problem.
ski holidays
I would have reported him, when wearing a uniform you accept that you are representing your industry and therefore have to be whiter than white.

Whether you are teaching or not those who see you will believe your facts as that is what they will be interpreted as from your position of authority.

Personally I hope that someone from Hemel reads this topic and works out which instructor it was and takes the appropriate action.
snow report
Why didn`t you just ask him what made him arrive at that opinion?

No point complaining to management- challenge the person.
snow report
Also I think you`re way OTT
snow conditions
i really hope some people don't think he should be reported. he has an opinion and he dislikes snowboarders. So do i but both my kids board and my mate who i am off to Alpe d'huez with in March is a boarder. what he said was not that bad but boarders do have less peripheral vision than a skiier. That said still seen loads of dangerous skiiers
snow report
Man up or shut up. If someone says something you don't like, front them up, or smile and move away. If you don't speak to the individual you don't know the reasons why he said this. Is he just being a knob-jockey, or did a boarder crash into his 6 year old son and break both his legs because he wasn't looking. Massive difference.
ski holidays
stew72 wrote:
Man up or shut up. If someone says something you don't like, front them up, or smile and move away. If you don't speak to the individual you don't know the reasons why he said this. Is he just being a knob-jockey, or did a boarder crash into his 6 year old son and break both his legs because he wasn't looking. Massive difference.

Totally agree.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi @chrisrawles,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention; We are investigating.

If you have any feedback; please do ask to speak to someone.
snow conditions
The heelside blindspot is such a non-issue. If you're on my heelside and i'm overtaking you, then i'll have already spotted you before you go into the blind spot - if you're overtaking me on the heelside, then you'll have spotted me and if you are even vaguely competent wouldn't be overtaking in such close proximity as to cause an issue if I start a heelside turn.

Surely the whole 'problem with snowboarders...' debate is over. The only real problem is that some snowboarders are dicks, in roughly the same percentage that some skiers are dicks, and that people in the world generally are dicks - and if you can work out how to solve that problem, then bottle it and make billions.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:

As to the OP, if I was clearly within earshot then I'd probably have said "excuse me" and taken it from there.

He'd either back off or dig his hole deeper, and even though it's a stupid comment he probably wouldn't be stupid enough to do that. An altercation could cost him his living: insulting punters is not good for anyone's business.

Polite like basically starting a row with someone with the aim of getting them to dig themselves in deeper and lose their livelihood?

Sounds pretty rough to me.

Personally I'd try and have a bit of a joke with the guy, which would illustrate that he could be heard by others, and I'm sure everyone would put a bit more thought into how they phrase things in future.
snow report
Quote:

it doesn't require much competence, just a turn of the head.

Right - we have this marvellous blindspot-eliminating device commonly know as a "neck". It allows, among other things, rotation of the head and the attached visual apparatus around the vertical axis. Amazing stuff. wink
snow report
@stevomcd, Laughing
ski holidays
@stevomcd, are you an owl ? my neck doesn't seem to swivel all the way round wink

Joking aside, I do try to educate skiers that boarders have a bit of a blind spot and they can't always see you so the skier should give em more room when skiing near a boarders heelside... You would be surprised at how many don't know this and then say "ahh fair dues"
snow report
It's not a skier vs boarder thing. ...it's about a uniformed instructor being unprofessional
snow report
I hate snowboarders, they have a blind spot and sitting on the hidden side of rises is dangerous.

All true. I don't really hate them though.

I am struggling to see 1. why even bother with this thread, 2. what's unprofessional, 3. why @scooby_simon, would do anything. At all. Puzzled rolling eyes
snow report
skimottaret wrote:

Joking aside, I do try to educate skiers that boarders have a bit of a blind spot and they can't always see you so the skier should give em more room when skiing near a boarders heelside... You would be surprised at how many don't know this and then say "ahh fair dues"

Yes do. I don't even know what "heelside" means. Is it just another word for "above"?
snow conditions
Whats heelside ?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
... sitting on the hidden side of rises is dangerous.

I saw one practising this in Tignes in the autumn, it took them quite a while to find the best spot to sit in the GS course.

As a race coach I do see more problems with boarders, I get the feeling they see a race course as just another form of public park.
ski holidays
@dogwatch, not, it's not.

It's when a snowboarder is riding on the heel edge of their board (i.e. where their heels are) rather than the toe edge. e.g. a left-foot-forward (regular) rider turning left. As this means you are, to some extent, travelling "backwards", it is slightly harder to see where you're going. Not actually a problem to most snowboarders, and massively over-stated by clueless skiers who have never been on a snowboard, but nevertheless, lurking just uphill of a snowboarder on their heel edge isn't terribly smart (and is really annoying for the snowboarder as they keep having to crane their neck to keep track of you).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy