Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carving Sucks!

Poster: A snowHead
I have a theory about all you saddos that vehemently defend Carver Skis. Back in the glory days when straight skis were the norm, you guys simply couldn't handle them. You couldn't ski on them because they required Real Skiing. There you all were attempting desperately, but in vain, to master 200cm super heavyweight planks. Then along comes the perfect solution in the shape of Mickey Mouseskis..yes! Teeny Weeny Softee Bendee skis, gift wrapped for the inept skier, guaranteed to help you to do all your nasty little turns for you..What a bunch of Wimpsyou all are.
Now, if you want the pleasure..sorry..privilege of seeing a Real Skieron Real Skis..meet me at The Verte Chairlift in Mottaret at 10.00am on Wednesday 14th April. You're welcome too, PG Prat!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maximus, trolling, trolling, into the main we go... rolling eyes Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was helping out with a school session on the Les Arcs slopes last week. Some guy nicknamed "Kabou" is the president of the ski-study section, and often gets involved with the kids' training. He was extolling the virtues of the carver skis at great length over a mid-morning expresso break. Now this is a tough one..... Maximus's alleged expertise, or Kabou's. Hmmm. A close one. Sorry Max, think I'll have to go along with the 1998 Nagano Games Olympic downhill gold medallist's views on this occasion. Wink

(I know I know, don't feed the troll.....)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PG, c'mon! How could Kabou know anything?! He doesn't live in London, East!!!! Laughing Cool snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maximus, aka Stephen Neal...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A ski is a ski- we dont all drive the same car or wear the same shoes but they all do the same job- help you get from A- B, same with skis.

So stop trying to out do each other boys!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I posed this question to my BASI instructor down in Serre Che a couple of weeks ago, and asked whether the change in technology meant that skiers were learning almost too quickly, with a loss of time spent in learning the process on old "straights".

The guy reckoned that the notion was absurd, and that carving skis produce better skiers more often than not. In other words, carving skis allow for people to better make use of their ability, not compensate for a lack of ability.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mark Hunter,
Quote:
carving skis produce better skiers more often than not. In other words, carving skis allow for people to better make use of their ability, not compensate for a lack of ability.
Well put.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maximus, mine are smaller than yours! neh, neh. NehNeh
Have some fun tomorrow, you lucky s@d.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sitting in the restaurant at Zerotta a few years back, I noticed a picture of three blokes in suits, holding a cup and skis (they'd obviously just won some race or other). Those skis were wooden and huge. They did, however, have very flared fronts and backs and while not as "carver"-shaped, as some of today's skis, they were certainly more so than my "mega-X carve". I wonder when and why the shape changed to straighter skis?

Anyway, I don't carve, I crave and that's damn straight.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm only 34 years old, and have only been skiing for about 8/9 years.
What are these "Straight Skis" that grandpa Maximus talks about?
Were those from the days when people skied with their boots together?
Were they from the days of horse drawn carriages?

Can someone give me a history lesson, so that I can understand where the rest of the world has moved on from, and left the Luddites behind?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Funny how you never see any mono-skis any more...or have the binding angles just changed?

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 13-04-04 10:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skanky wrote:
Anyway, I don't carve, I crave and that's damn straight.

Excellent - right there with you on that one Skanky Laughing snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skanky wrote:
Funny how you never see any mono-skis any more...or have the binding angles just changed?

I think you're not skiing in France much then Very Happy There's still quite a few around, you can still buy them new in France as well.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The French monoski association is at Les Arcs right now, with participants from tomorrow in an attempt at the monoski world speed record....
ski holidays
While I was in Frisco, Colorado they had a competition in the local bar one night to win top of the range monoski's, I won a video.
latest report
PG Damn that's such a shame I wont be in La Rosiere until Sunday. I haven't ridden a Mono in years, still got one hanging on the ski-room wall. My youngest son used it last year in our end of season race, wasn't sure if it was the mono or his Union Jack shorts that caused the cheers.
snow report
Yeah there are still plenty of mono-skiers around in France-saw many in Val D'isere last week.
snow conditions
Interesting. I was in Val d'Isere in 2002 and don't recall seeing a single one. I was in Italy and Switzerland since then and ditto. Just goes to show.
ski holidays
They must have been ski=ing down in the Southern French Alps in that case - there were a few earlier this year on the 2 occassions I was there.
ski holidays
Saw a mono skier in Courchevel earlier this year - he had a harness attached to his waist & was being pulled by a Husky.

Beats paying for a lift pass!
snow conditions
I've just seen loads of them in les Arcs. All in one pieces. Is there a club there or summink?
snow conditions
markP, See my last post!
snow report
I've seen those monoskiers - no fashion sense, smelly, rude, etc, but the ones I've seen don't have their legs together on their monoskis. One leg is forward, and the other is behind, and they kinda face across the monoski.
Has anyone else encountered this sort of monoskier?
ski holidays
markP, did you notice not just the one pieces, but also the fact they all use Salomon rear-entry boots. They really are eighties worshippers!!

Still, one of the funniest days skiing I've ever had was a group lesson on monoskis (in Les Arcs come to think of it!). Off the first chairlift, faced with having to turn right, half the group fell over (the sensible ones) as all the rest, me included, stayed upright but couldn't turn so skied straight off the drop into a snowdrift. I think there were six of us stuck there in hysterics!! Little Angel
snow report
WTFH, Laughing Laughing Only ever encountered them taking the weight off......they must have loads of energy, what with all that sitting down....
latest report
I realise this is a bit of a wind up (it is in'nt it?) but its Wednesday 14th April around 13.00hrs and I cant help wondering how the world exclusive 'i am the best skier in the world, ever' exhibition starring the not so world famous (but concieted) Maximus in the 'I am the best skier ever ~ even on old fashioned straight planks' corner; verses the majority in the 'latest technologically advanced carving ski' corner. I just hope the prat losses it on the first bend. I wait with eager anticipation.
snow report
Unfortunately I was in Albertville all morning.... and any challenge before the end of Mr. Max's hols will have involve him making his way to Les Arcs.... his 11 year carving challenger is training either morning or afternoon all week inc. Sunday.... however if he can't make it, I suggest a compromise.... he enters the ESF flèche (GS) timed run at Mottaret on Friday morning - I know the ESF director there - and I'll get the results emailed to me. Won't matter if no other snowHead is present, anything less than a flèche d'or will be considered an abject failure on his part!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Has Maximus met SCSA? Now that would be a ski-off worth seeing!
ski holidays
Quote:

Has Maximus met SCSA? Now that would be a ski-off worth seeing!

Wear The Fox Hat, Wonderful they can both ski with their feet tied together and see who lasts longest!
ps: I started in 1955 with huge skis (wood, nach) went on to ski on 200cms+ skis (I am 165 cms) but now ski on 160's. Carving, fats, shorts, snowblades, racecarvers etc. are the best things since sliced bread. Maximus could perhaps compete off piste against a modern freerider on fats??
snow conditions
Maximus,

didn't you use to carve on straight skis then? Good skiers have always carved in the right conditions - new skis just allow a ski to carve more often, in less helpful conditions. It's a continuum, its not binary.

J
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy