Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowmaggedon France 21 Feb

Poster: A snowHead
@jedster, @jedster, One of our local transfer operators uses a Skoda Scout for personal and business use. He would definitely endorse your choice and having been in it a few times so would I really like my Freelander 2 but feel the Skoda is a better bet and much cheaper to run.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jedster, @jedster, One of our local transfer operators uses a Skoda Scout for personal and business use. He would definitely endorse your choice and having been in it a few times so would I really like my Freelander 2 but feel the Skoda is a better bet and much cheaper to run.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks a very nice car. I did look at the Oktavia (not 4WD) but I really needed an occasional 7 seater and my Zafira does almost the same job at half the price of the Scout.

Yes, it's not 4WD but in 13 winters in the mountains I've very rarely felt any need for 4WD and on the extremely odd occasions when good winter tyres don't cut it, I have no great aversion to slipping on some chains for a while. It's worth it to save more than enough money for several years ski trips. wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pam w,
I believe that Pam - think 4wd is generally only a modest help compared to 2wd if you have the right tyres on. It's definitely a luxury but there is this little steepish winding road that is often snow covered that can get you from Les C to St Nicholas in 10 minutes vs 40 via the long way where 4wd might be the difference. Point being that Stnicholas opens up Megeve/St gervais to us.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jedster, I must explore that area some time - never been to St Nicholas.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
4WD isn't much better than FWD in many conditions, but 4WD is way better than RWD .. IMHO.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@bpirkle, 4WD is marginally (or slightly more than that) better - where 4WD really wins is when you have to stop on a steep up slope - it helps quite a bit when you have to set off again (IME).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jedster, have hired them a couple of times. Very impressed. That said, SiL has recently acquired a 4x4 Passat which is also rather nice.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

where 4WD really wins is when you have to stop on a steep up slope - it helps quite a bit when you have to set off again

I think that's probably right - I sometimes have to drop back and have another go at it. I carry some mats for extra traction but have never had to use them.

I would never argue that 4WD is no help but for me it's not worth all that extra money when my car will do 99% of what's required. If it were just me I might go for a 4WD Panda. But it's not just me - and my car is a big load carrier when required, as well as seating 7 comfortably (provided they don't have too much luggage!). And I dislike the big top heavy looking 4WDs which look so unnecessary in 99.7% of the situations you see them in. The Porsche Cayenne I towed out of a snowdrift looked particularly unnecessary. Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bpirkle wrote:
but 4WD is way better than RWD .. IMHO.

Not half. My RWD Jaguar, with winter tyres I may add, got stuck on a perfectly flat road a couple of weeks ago when due to high winds deep, heavy snow had drifted onto the road. Really embarrassing to have to sit there putting on chains to get going on such a flat road, not to mention bitterly cold as the strong icy winds whipped across the open landscape straight into me.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

That said, SiL has recently acquired a 4x4 Passat which is also rather nice.

yes I agree. Had a previous generation one many moons ago. Have looked at the latest Passat alltrack - nice but the skoda has a bit more personality, newer/better engine and is cheaper. tad smaller but not that much
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bpirkle, I wish I had a penny for all the times my OH has tried that one on various bits of cars rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep, AWD estates with a set of winter wheels is the way to go. Long rather than high gives much better stability. Diesel models and you'll still be getting around 50mpg at 130km/h. You can also lay skis flat inside with one side of rear seat down.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jedster, she refuses the Skoda badge and doesn't hear my arguments re value for Money, etc. She'd rather ride in a Peoples' Car. wink Now if they did a Scout version of the Superb, that'd be well cool.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sproggski wrote:
@BergenBergen, @under a new name, I think prudence, patience and common sense trump both snow tyres and 4x4. On paper, our car is ridiculous (4x4 but 2.5 tonnes with stupid wheels) but, by stopping at the right times and places to add and remove equipment saved us loads of time and grief.

We just need to accept that fourgon homme blanc will always overtake you on blind bends and dive into non-existent gaps. It was a shame (mostly Toofy Grin ) to see the lunatic local who overtook us in this way on the side of the road trying to extract his broken snowchain from the front wing of his car - it looked like someone had tried to open a tin of beans with a chisel.

Prudence and patience is necessary but not sufficient. Im not sure about local lunatics, but saw quite a few gb, nl and be plates driving like morrons because they were "prudent" on summer tyres ....
snow report
bpirkle wrote:
4WD isn't much better than FWD in many conditions, but 4WD is way better than RWD .. IMHO.

Very much depends who is behind the wheel .... Rwd is way better if you have winter tyres and have certain driving skills
snow report
@under a new name, you can get the Superb as 4*4
latest report
All this talk about summer / winter tyres .. are all-season tyres what's meant by "summer" tyres?
latest report
@bpirkle, winter v summer http://www.continental-tyres.co.uk/www/tyres_uk_en/themes/van-tyres/winter-tyres/why-winter-tyres.html

4 Season are a bit of a mix of both
snow conditions
My experience of 4/all-season tyres was the year I turned a corner in snow but my 4x4 didn't. At the garage later assessing the damage the mechanic shook his head and told me he saw this a lot with those tyres and I should get proper winter ones.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy