Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Niederau end of March - Will the snow conds be okay?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi all,

I am looking to book a week skiing with my OH for week 21 March - 28 March. I have been thinking of going to Niederau Austria this time as it seems good value for money at the moment.

Details:

Me: going for 7th week
OH: going for 6th week (she is still a bit slow but getting the confidence after 2 weeks in Passo Tonale).

Both taking group lessons during the week.

Questions:

Considering it is a low alt. resort (830m) how are the snow conditions at this time of the year? Is it safe or should we look into high alt. resorts (we do not mind going to Passo Tonale again).

I understand that the intermediates go to Auffach/Alpback, but if we(she) stays in Niederau only is it okay in terms of number of slopes for a week?

We would appreciate comments....

thanks
rb51
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Emm, I've just come back from there and I don't have an urge to go back again.
The snow will probably be OK, if its not you can tack a taxi to Hopfgarten for €18 each way.

I was a bit disappointed with Niederau because the slopes both there and up the valley in Auffach have no route down for timid intermediates, which meant my wife was limited to the nursery slopes or had to take the gondola up and down to one easy piste at the top. So it was a very dull time.

I must explain that my dear wife has lost her bottle this year and anything with a red lollipop on it is now a No-Go piste Sad

The Wilder Kaiser region just down the road is a much better bet, and perhaps I can take the misses there next year.

People do tend to get a bit sniffy about lower Austrian resorts, but the snow cover is usually kept intact through the season, and as the base is high pastures the rocks don't show through as much as the lunar high altitude resorts of France.

Anyway enjoy!!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PS. Nightlife:
Sunday .. Oirish Band (quite good)
Monday .. Elvis is dug up again
Tuesday ... Forgot
Wednesday ..Banging in Nails
Thursday .. Autistic guitar man
Friday .. Kari Okai
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Niederau is a lovely friendly place but far too limited in runs for a Blues only skier. A quick count of Blues on the piste map wil confirm.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I also was there last week. Very busy with Dutch and Austrian children on half term, the queues for the drag lifts , gondola and ski bus were horrendous. Niederau was recommended to me by another skier last year and I was very disappointed, its a very small area with one gondola and one chairlift and about six T bars/poma lifts. The reds on the hill are quite steep in places for the timid intermediate and there aren't many blues on the mountain just at the bottom for the beginners and they are more like greens! We went to Auffach and Alpbach on one of the days and what with the ski bus and gondola queues we spent very little time skiing but a lot travelling and queuing! I have been to Passo Tonale twice in recent years and I wish I had gone back there or Bardonecchia!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy