Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Life in the alps

Poster: A snowHead
davidof wrote:
Levi215 wrote:

I lived in Munich, never loved anywhere as much as there! Utterly brilliant place

Lived there in the late 80s early 90s. I found the Bavarians to be very uptight and not overly friendly. I went back for a few days about 9 years ago and was pleased that people were a lot more pleasant... I guess it is a generational thing.

I was there 2003 ish, everyone i came across was very friendly could be a slow warm as the Bavarians rediscover their identity.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Levi215 wrote:
davidof wrote:
Levi215 wrote:

I lived in Munich, never loved anywhere as much as there! Utterly brilliant place

Lived there in the late 80s early 90s. I found the Bavarians to be very uptight and not overly friendly. I went back for a few days about 9 years ago and was pleased that people were a lot more pleasant... I guess it is a generational thing.

I was there 2003 ish, everyone i came across was very friendly could be a slow warm as the Bavarians rediscover their identity.

I particuarly remember World of Music, a CD store in the city center. On a Saturday they would start to try and kick people out of the shop at 1pm for a 2pm closure (yes really on a Saturday all the ******* shops closed at 2pm except the first Saturday of the month). The WOM staff would physically start to shove people who were browsing the aisles - the Germans seemed to accept this but it brought fistcuffs with Brit customers not used to physical contact from shop staff. That's a particuarly bad example but all the shops had really really terrible service levels that make me quite relaxed about rude French cafe owners these days.

And my mate who was riding down a cycle path but on the left side of the road (these are the seperated Munich style cycle paths not just a line in the road that Brits might be used to). A driver drove up onto the path and knocked him off his bike. This drew a crowd and eventually the police. They were initially quite shocked with the driver's actions until he pointed out that it was illegal to ride on a cycle path against the traffic flow, at that my friend got a severe bollocking and little sympathy for his cuts and bruises and damaged bike.

Now yes, I agree, when you are visiting somewhere it is a very good idea to find out what the local laws and customs are but to deliberately knock someone off their bike because they are doing something wrong seems pretty dumb to me.

Things have changed for the better, I'm not sure I'd want to live in Munich again but it has a lot of good points for someone going abroad for the first time.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Levi215, got offered a Job here in 1985. My original plan was to stay for a couple of years, do some skiing and then move on. So much for plans.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I live in the Alps. It's really nice.

I like the people. I like the lifestyle. I like the weather. I like being 'IN' Europe so easy to pop to the Med, or on a train to major cities.

I like that shops occasionally close, people take holidays and enjoy life.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@davidof, I was in WOM on a Saturday many times ( doesn't exist any more ). I never got shoved around by anyone. In fact I've never been in a shop where I got shoved around.
I wonder how people on bikes get on in the center of Marseilles. Always harmonious? Or London, or Manchester for that matter.
Shops are open till 20:00 every working day These days btw.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We live in a small alpine village of less than 400 people and we love it. We're not considered locals but we are integrated and we are respected for making the effort with the community and the language. We don't work in the ski industry but we love the outdoors life and we've learnt a huge amount about the local area from skiing and hiking with local friends. We've met locals who have lived on the other side of the world and returned, locals who now live in Paris/London/Geneva and come back for holidays and weekends and locals who have never left the Savoie. From what local friends say your welcome can vary enormously from village to village so maybe some luck on our part ending up here. Last year our mayor asked me to stand as a local councilor for the commune as he thought it would be good for the community as the population changes and more nationalities move into the commune. We had a 75% turnout at the election and over 90% voted for me! So not adverse to change... There are, of course, some strange folk and some critics but no more so than where we used to live close to Paris or in the SW of England. We haven't tried to become local because we never will be but we have tried to integrate and people seem genuinely pleased at the pleasure we get from living in their part of the world. Life could be worse...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Last year our mayor asked me to stand as a local councilor for the commune as he thought it would be good for the community as the population changes and more nationalities move into the commune.

What a very enlightened Maire! Congratulations on your landslide victory. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Anyone live in the Pyrenees?

No, but a bad couple of years in the office and a third good week in Andorra has got me seriously dreaming. Our instructor this week was British, says he came out for a two year career break. That was 17 years ago. The thing with Andorra is that it is outside the EU, so I guess that means paperwork, and being an exclusive principality he says it's difficult to be fully accepted though he seems to have no complaints. Obviously learning Catalan would be a challenge for some, and I'm not sure my children want to learn yet another language, and I couldn't afford the expat English school. Wonder what it would be like just over the French border, don't they have a better health system?

My concerns would be child schooling and how to earn money for food, assuming I could buy a small apartment outright after selling my large house and giving back the balance of the mortgage.

I supposedly live in a dream place for some Brits, but when your bosses are a pain and you spend all your time in the office or worrying about it, that's a different reality, doesn't matter about the supposed luxuries just outside!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Steilhang wrote:
@davidof, I was in WOM on a Saturday many times ( doesn't exist any more ). I never got shoved around by anyone. In fact I've never been in a shop where I got shoved around.

Good, I'm glad to hear you had good experiences there. I'm just relating my experience, awful shop, mental staff.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I stayed in a Youth Hostel in Munich once, with a friend - summer holiday from uni. Must have been about 1967. It was awful. We stayed in hostels in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy on that trip - many different ones, some of them lovely (especially in Switzerland) but the Munich one was the worst. Enormous, very regimented and run by a guy who was like a comic book Nazi. We felt more like army recruits than holiday makers.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, hmmm, good point
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@davidof, sorry to hear you had such a bad shopping experience. Gotta admit that really reflects badly on Munich as a whole.
As for your friend who was riding the wrong way down a street and got deliberately knocked down by a madman... what can I say? Maybe the Driver was upset by the fact that your friend had put a dent in his car. I'm sure drivers in France would be more understanding.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Drivers in France are actually rather good with cyclists. SH Macgyver, to whom I gave a lift to the Birthday Bash, works in France and is a keen cyclist. He is by no means an uncritical fan of the French but as a cyclist he told me he much preferred French drivers to British ones.

Most people would feel that cars have no business on a separate designated cycle path, @Steilhang, regardless of which way the bikes are going. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Iirc, French (and I think Swiss, although you could switch countries and I'd be equally confident of my facts) law mandates a 1m gap between traffic and cycles if there's no cycle lane. That must contrbute?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, yes I agree, but maybe he didn't even see the cyclist given that he was busy trying to drive his car onto the cycle path. Whatever the truth of the story I doubt that he deliberately got his car dented by an Ausländer. Otoh, maybe he did. No idea.
snow report
pam w wrote:
I wonder where the best coffee shops are? Italy probably has the best coffee but their cakes/croissants etc are fairly grim

Next time you go on the SxBB go to the top of the col reiser (en route to ortisei above st. Christina) stop at the hut at the top of the bubble. Sit on the terrace with a coffee and a cake and tell me that you still agree with the above...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 21-02-15 10:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
No dount people have had bad experiences in the past. I did see some footage of some Chelsea fans in Paris recently. Can I infer anything general about Brits from that? Generally treated politely, friendly and with good service everywhere I have been. Poeple generally treat you as you treat them. I have found that younger people are politer, friendlier and more considerate than older people. Doubt if people innately changed but better language skills and travelled more. Changing and smaller world.
snow conditions
@TTT, of course there are knobs everywhere. But the shocking thing about davidof's story was that the police apparently felt the driver's actions were justified by the cyclist's being on the wrong side of the cycle path.
snow report
pam w wrote:
@TTT, of course there are knobs everywhere. But the shocking thing about davidof's story was that the police apparently felt the driver's actions were justified by the cyclist's being on the wrong side of the cycle path.

Well the Police didn't want to take any action would be a better way of putting it because they felt that a driver couldn't be expected to notice people riding the wrong way up a bike path and probably because it was just too much hassle. My friend asked the driver why he'd hit him and he said it was because he was breaking the law and would teach him a lesson. Not particularly nice. I wouldn't be too shocked, UK police are very reluctant to prosecute motorists in bike collisions. In France the rule is the car driver is automatically wrong when in collision with a bike or pedestrian which tends to make them a bit more careful. To answer Steilhang's question though, no I wouldn't cycle in Marseille.

I've related a couple of experiences but the service in Munich cafes and shops was awful at the time, in my experience. Everyone in Bavaria whinges about the North Germans but I found Berlin a nicer city than Munich people wise. As I said, things have changed in my experience at least with respect to service.

Oh I remember parking on a road with a curve on it, parking was allowed, I got a ticket for "not parking parallel with the pavement" - how can you park parallel to a curve?
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
how can you park parallel to a curve?

By having a car with curved sides - a kind of ski-inspired waisting
snow report
@pam w, that is wrong but my point it is an isolated incident and personally generally felt safer cycling on continent than UK and the police have always been good. I have though been confronted by UK police when cycling for something they subsequently admitted was both legal and safer. But again one isolated incident.
snow report
bertie bassett wrote:
pam w wrote:
I wonder where the best coffee shops are? Italy probably has the best coffee but their cakes/croissants etc are fairly grim

Next time you go on the SxBB go to the top of the col reiser (en route to ortisei above st. Christina) stop at the hut at the top of the bubble. Sit on the terrace with a coffee and a cake and tell me that you still agree with the above...

That's more Tirol than Italy though wink
latest report
Karl Marx wrote:
davidof wrote:
how can you park parallel to a curve?

By having a car with curved sides - a kind of ski-inspired waisting

back in the 80s cars were rectangular, no sidecut at all.
snow conditions
@davidof, driving was a real skill then.
ski holidays
@davidof, Laughing
snow report
Quote:

That's more Tirol than Italy though

indeed; I have no doubt that, on average, Austrian cakes are better than Italian ones (just as Italian coffee is superior wink ). And one of the nicest offerings in our local patisserie in France is a "Foret Noire"
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy