Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Self Catering what food can I take?

Poster: A snowHead
Going to Montgenevre on 22nd March booked via crystal so a package. We are allowed 4 luggage up to 23kg we will only be taking two luggage (snow and rock bags) which will fit all our clothes and boots in and still come under 23kg so we are able to take another luggage case.

In this case I need to take food especially for our daughter who has coeliacs and serious allergies to Dairy and Eggs. I will need to take her gluten free pasta almongst other bits but can I take tinned tuna? Someone told me I could not pack tins in the hold luggage? Can't find anywhere that says you can or can't and have found controversial advice regarding taking jars? Such as gravy jars and sauce jars.

We went for New Year and really struggled finding bits in the shop for her but managed to get buy eating out was hard she literally lived of chips. We did ok though as no allergic reactions. (Touching wood here)

Sorry this probably seen such a stupid question but just wanted to be sure. Would hate to have suitcase opened and food all taken out.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can buy tinned tuna in every supermarket here.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Within the EU you can take anything:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/355730/bringing_food_leaflet_aug_2014_v4.pdf
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Linnylou26, we regularly bring jars of beetroot (yes, weird, I know but we've yet to find "Baxter's" in Geneva) back from Scotland.

We find that old whisky bottle tubes (yep!) make very suitable protection with bubble wrap if not a tight fit. If you don't have so many of those (they take 2-3 jars depending) you could ask at your local printers as they may have old cardboard paper rolls that might work. So I see no issues with jars.

If it's home made sauces, etc. (properly) sealable plastic tubs would be a lot lighter - bear in mind that if they're in an unpressurized hold, leakages are very possible...any air bubbles will at least try and expand if there are any leaks and will may take contents with them. Oh and be very careful on re-opening!

I can't imagine any problems with tins either. Although I would wrap them in clingfilm and also put them in a sealable plastic box. Spending a week with all your ski clothes covered in tuna infused olive oil would be, hmmmm, interesting.

There are a number of supermarkets in Montgenevre however, so while I wouldn't risk not carrying gluten free stuff, the French do eat tinned tuna... http://www.les-horaires.fr/05100/Montgenevre/Alimentation/Supermarche/

France (esp. the Alps), sadly, is not the best place to be allergic to bread, dairy and eggs. I mean, if you didn't eat ham, what would you eat? Oh, yes, rolling eyes ... chips.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, thank you when we were in Flaine for new year they didn't stock tinned tuna only pilchards it was a small supermarket attached to the apartments which had only just opened. I would pack the food in its own suitcase as couldn't risk clothes getting covered.

Yes she lived on ham,chips, haribos and Apple juice. With the odd steak.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Linnylou26, bigger supermarkets in France have quite a selection including own brand GF pasta, but not sure how well-stocked the smaller one in Montgenevre will be. Gerblé is one of the brands I've noticed https://www.gerble-sans-gluten.com/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can get gluten free pasta in France. How big a range of gluten free stuff is available will be down to the size of the supermarket, just as in the UK.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Linnylou26, no problem taking tins (though as already pointed out French supermarkets will have it). If you use gluten free flour I'd take some of that. I have a friend with an apartment near mine who is seriously allergic to dairy. She finds some French supermarkets have dairy free stuff but not all. Unpredictable which is which. So if you use dairy-free "milk" or "cheese" or margarine I'd take some of that too. She's not yet found any of the boxed French soups which don't have lactose in (though they are generally very acceptable for a quick lunch) so she makes her own.

Any French shops will sell a selection of different types of rice.

Some French sausages (unlike British ones) are gluten-free AND dairy free. When we asked our local French butcher about his sausages he was most indignant at the idea that they would contain either - just pork, beef and salt, he assured us.

Apart from your daughter's special requirements, most people take tea bags, Marmite if they like it and sometimes a few packs of bacon. And a sharp knife - no problem putting that in the hold. And maybe a handful of dishwasher tablets if your apartment has a dishwasher.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@rjs, with an enormous permanent resident population of ~250, I wouldn't be expecting a particularly big selection in Montgenevre!! Especially not on a Sunday once the shelves have been emptied by arriving self-caterers...

My father found the GF selection available in Chamonix (which has, uhhh, 9? of which at least 2 are of decent size) supermarkets rather limited. I think he could get GF pasta, although it wasn't what he's used to in the UK (or, indeed, Italy) but was struggling for bread, biscuits or cakes.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rjs, I know you can but don't want to take the risk of supermarket not stocking it also some contain egg which would be a no. Our transfer is a coach so would not beable to stop at a bigger supermarket.

@Hells Bells, thank you I hadn't heard of that I will keep an eye out as be nice to offer her other bits also.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, she loves sausage so that would be good. I was just concerned about things going in the hold as had heard lots of things about jars splitting things leaking ect.

I'm currently trying to learn french especially regarding the allergies so I can ask for things cooked with no sauce or butter.

We survived the last one but like. A bit more variety for her but then again we are on holiday and a week of chips at lunch and pasta and peas didn't seem to harm her.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Linnylou26, I usually bring back a selection of Gerblé stuff to the UK. Their choc chip cookies and madeleines are good, they also do good bread.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Linnylou26,
I did have a link to a guide for coeliacs, which had phrases for the chef, but can't lay my hands on it. Some of my family are coeliac or wheat intolerant, and I've been asked for assistance by a couple of people travelling to my apartment in the past. I did find the coeliac society a bit patronising as they seem to think no-one in France has heard of it. As for lactose intolerance the larger supermarkets keep soy rice and almond milks.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Linnylou26, top tip re sausages.

"sans farine" is "without flour"
"farine de ble" is (I think) "wheat flour"
"allergique au" is "allergic to"

etc. Worst case a bit of google translating ought (!) to be close enough. Although I can just see the patron going back into the kitchen to address his buxom wife, aslave over the range, "Now she says her daughter's allergic to underpants!"

have a look at http://www.celiactravel.com/stories/living-and-traveling-gluten-free-in-france/

And a handy card to print and carry with you/her http://www.celiactravel.com/cards/french/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, Mad that's what I would be worried about. I do have a app that I speak into and it translate for me not sure that would go down to well.
latest report
@Linnylou26, indeed.

You'll need to edit that card as it says milk, dairy, etc are OK.
snow report
The shops in Montgenevre are small, though the one at the top end near Dolines is just beautiful with lots of artisan products.

The problem with jars will be the leakage :/ I've had toiletries leak all over the place due to being in the hold.

Pack the jars etc in sealed sandwich bags to limit potential mess.

If she's happy with chips for a week I wouldn't be worrying too much though.
ski holidays
one thing we found is that the cooks in French restaurants really do know whether their food contains "produits laitieres" etc

I wouldn't use an "app". Learn the essential phrases - not difficult and you'll get a much better reception.

put "my daughter has coeliac disease" into google translate and you can hear how to pronounce it
ski holidays
@pam w, that's what I have been doing. When we went at New Year a friend fluent in French took over this time we are on our own so I'm determined to learn something.
snow report
@Linnylou26, for eating out, you can get printed dietary cards in many languages. They are useful because they have all the information summarised in quite a neat way (e.g. they specify no barley, rye, oats etc for gluten). They have a standard coeliac card, but you can also get them to list other allergies (and specify whether they are allergies or intolerances). http://www.dietarycard.com/
latest report
As you are on the Italian border you will find that Polenta is a good gluten free option. The italian restaurants all serve it.
The supermarkets are pretty small in Montgenevre.
ski holidays
@Linnylou26, I'm sure you'll find a very helpful response to your efforts. They do, after all, want to sell you stuff and they will be sympathetic to a concerned mother who is doing her best.
ski holidays
@Linnylou26, if it were me, I'd be wanting to take as much as I could over, a weeks holiday or even 2 isn't something you want to be traipsing around supermarkets to find stuff, and I also get how you want her to have some variety. Sure as folk say, chips for a week will do her no harm and she might enjoy, but we are mums, we want more Laughing If it were me, I'd do exactly what you are intending, take what food you can, after the excellent advice you'll get on here re what you Can take, learn your phrases so that if you are eating out should be worry free, and take note of the wee extra tips like Hells Bells on the brands so that if you do go to the supermarket you can look out for it and also might find something a bit different to bring home.

Have a fab holiday, we are off to Claviere on 22nd March, we'll be neighbours!
ski holidays
@Gilly28, we will be hoping to ski over. Thank you for your advice along with everyone else. I will be taking as much as possible and just buy fresh bits in supermarket. I know I get very anxious when they don't have there quota of fruit and veg a day.
snow report
@pam w, if only that were true... I've had 15 years of dealing with coeliac kids on holidays, and it can be a nightmare. One hilarious moment when an enraged chef came out of the kitchen brandishing a rolling pin screeching "what do you mean she is allergic to glucose? That is not possible!! I can't make food without glucose" I said gluten, not glucose. rolling eyes

It doesn't go down too well at a busy restaurant, especially a hatch type snack bar or self service, when there's a queue building behind you and you are trying to make yourself understood when asking if the chips are cooked in the same oil as the breaded stuff, ie contaminated. "What do you mean contaminated?? My food is not contaminated!!!" Etc Etc... The other problem is that according to EU law they should be separated, but if they are not compliant are they likely to tell you??

What I do when we are self catering is bring GF bread, pasta, buy chicken there, and bring familiar jars of pesto, each sealed in an individual zipper bag, then all breakables wrapped in bubble wrap then a towel or something. I've been lucky, never had a breakage. I use GF powdered gravy, and pasta sauces in sealed microwaveable pouches. Beware of ham - some is GF, most doesn't seem to be, but I've noticed several brands labelled GF in recent couple of years, so we've always been able to find some. The kids know to expect less variety than at home, and are happy enough with that so long as I have the few familiar favourites. Oh, and breakfast cereal, that's essential.

@Linnylou26, this is the French version of the Coeliac Society site, might have some useful printables. Oh and the place I sent you the link to can manage multiple allergies. One of the regular kids had serious allergies to gluten, dairy, eggs, nuts, and they managed to feed her safely.
http://www.afdiag.fr/campagnes-dinformation/cuisiner-sans-gluten-en-collectivite/
snow conditions
Put everything (especially fresh food like meat) in a plastic bag, tie it, then put the bag in a soft cool bag and keep in the fridge, then pack it just before you leave for the airport. The case goes in the hold where its nice and cold. Have used this method going to Tenerife every year for around ten years' and when we arrive at the apartment the food is still really chilled.
snow report
I always take some frozen meals when I go by car. Packed in a coolbox with things like frozen milk and OJ they keep for days - especially if the car is parked overnight in sub zero temperatures when I get there. Friends used regularly to bring frozen flying fish home from Barbados - by air! That was always a bit of a gamble but so delicious (when fried.....) in a floury bap with some tartar sauce.
ski holidays
Quote:

One hilarious moment when an enraged chef came out of the kitchen brandishing a rolling pin screeching "what do you mean she is allergic to glucose? That is not possible!! I can't make food without glucose" I said gluten, not glucose

oh dear. Not funny at the time, I daresay. we've never had that sort of misunderstanding about my friend's lactose problem. One day, out of season, we were pleased to find one local resto open serving lunches to lots of French builders in white vans. The dish of the day turned out to be something creamy with pasta. There was no "menu", they were just doing builder's lunches. We explained the problem and he said provided we could wait, he'd find something. Not too much later we had the most delicious confit of duck with chips and a myrtille sauce.

My friend has been seriously devoting herself to improving her french and she can do all the phrases about her allergy particularly beautifully.

Coping with a child with a serious allergy must be very difficult. For a time my daughter was vegetarian and eschewing wheat (she is intolerant, but not allergic) and it was a right pain.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Linnylou26, This will be our 3rd time in Claviere, so,we ski into Montgenevre a few of the days, really enjoy the area.
snow conditions
@Pending, how does ham get gluten in it? I am astonished and Dad who was diagnosed 45 years ago (and is quite sensitive) has never mentioned it.
ski holidays
Quote:

, how does ham get gluten in it?

On the glazes/breadcrumbings etc.
ski holidays
@Pending, we managed quite well though the chef was cross we sent chicken back which was raw in the middle.

Apparently Italy now has to state what allergens are in any food now. Which is a big help. They should print little symbols next to the dish on the menus.

@Gilly28, this is our first time in Montgenevre we choose because of the blues and good reports from people on here. We were due to go back to Flaine again at Easter but didn't want to so cancelled and rebooked though we do have to take children out of school. Earmarking whether to go to Montgenevre at New Year again or wait and go half term and easter next year. Have you been New Year before? What's the snow likely to be like? I know there are no guarantees.
latest report
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

, how does ham get gluten in it?

On the glazes/breadcrumbings etc.

Even the plain ones without coatings can contain gluten too. Apparently it's the dextrose or glucose syrup which is made from either corn or wheat, but it generally doesn't state which. It's like the old "modified starch" problem - it's probably corn but it might be wheat, so we can't eat it. Thankfully labeling is getting so much better than it used to be.

I'm packing today - the TO has checked and said the hotel has GF bread, cereal and ice cream. Now the question is do I believe them and chance actually just bringing ski gear on a ski holiday?? Or do I do the usual and take an extra caseload of food and have to bring it all home again at the end?

Whatever the food situation, the snow is going to be Awesome! Very Happy
snow conditions
@Pending, I believe labelling laws have changed on modified starch, and they must now state if it's derived from wheat (within the EU). If it doesn't state the source, the source must be gluten free.
https://www.coeliac.org.uk/frequently-asked-questions/modified-starch/

Also, dextrose is safe for coeliacs to eat, as the processing removes all gluten - quoted from this link:
https://www.coeliac.org.uk/gluten-free-diet-and-lifestyle/food-shopping/food-labels/

Quote:
There are some ingredients which are made from a cereal containing gluten where the grain is processed in such a way that the gluten is removed. These ingredients are safe for people with coeliac disease and therefore it is not necessary for the manufacturer to list the cereal they first came from.

The following ingredients are safe for people with coeliac disease:
•glucose syrups derived from wheat or barley including dextrose
•wheat based maltodextrins
•distilled ingredients made from cereals that contain gluten, for example, alcoholic spirits.

Although these ingredients can be made from cereals containing gluten, manufacturers do not have to label them as such. Some manufacturers still list these, for example ‘glucose syrup from wheat’ or ‘wheat dextrose’. These ingredients are gluten-free and suitable for people with coeliac disease.
snow conditions
Ham - yea, I'd got the breadcrumbs bit - my father would just scrape that off in the rare occasion we see it out here (if ever?) - and sounds like injected sugars not so much of a problem.
snow conditions
My Mrs is coeliac and has no issues with non-breaded ham. Never had a problem eating anywhere in Europe either, so I think you'll find it easier than you fear! Beware chips though, they often have a wheat based coating.
snow conditions
My dad was coeliac (and very I'll with it until they finally got the diagnosis) and we also go skiing with a coeliac friend. For the most part it is not that difficult and hams have not been a problem, but adding egg and dairy allergies does I can see make it a lot trickier.
I guess if there is real problem with supermarkets in Montgenevre you have a fall back of being close to Briancon which has some large well stocked ones not that you ideally want to be spending holiday time tracking back and forth
latest report
@Gämsbock, Ah brilliant, thanks. That does make life easier! It's obviously changed since I last checked, the advice the was to avoid. I knew about the changes to distilled spirits though wink
snow conditions
@Linnylou26, Never been to that area at New Year, but we were nearly going the week after NY this year, but snow wasn't looking good (but think most places were bad early season this year). Friends did go and said it sounded pretty poor snow in Claviere, Montgenevre was better but the links weren't open. Guess NY is always a risk, but think you would be very unlucky not to be able to ski at all. Claviere we've always been mid to late March. Get some nice sunshine then!

We were going to drive over to Montchavin at Easter (la Plagne/les arcs area), but a good deal came up for the Grande Claviere, means only a weeks skiing rather than two, but saves us a bit of money.
ski holidays
@Pending, they do seem to update these things quite regularly. I could do with a monthly "what's changed" email Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy