Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Opinions on Obergurgl?

Poster: A snowHead
Austrian non-smoking policy has prompted early stumps at daily après ski fests. Clothes and hair reeking by the time we get home.

At David''s Hutte at lunchtime, two employees merrily choofing away behind the bar and entrance to kitchen. Obviously, no such thing as passive smoking litigation in Austria.

Skiing today was ordinary. Poor visibility and crowded slopes. Forecast for tomorrow is good so hope to try Solden.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Juddernaut, How was the holiday? Overall seems like it probably wasn't for you? Seems like the weather might have played a big part too?

Would appreciate some feed back.

Cheers
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We had a good time Bene. The weather didn't help but I must say that when the sun came out we did clock up a lot of kilometers.

Obergurgl is a very small village at the dead end of a narrow valley. It is very high, so there aren't many trees around and the village has a bare and bleak feel so it isn't really the place for lots of pretty scenery. The exception is the amazing view of the Sella Ronda from the Top Mountain Star (top of Wurmkogel).

I suspect that nearly everybody goes with a half-board option so there are very few places to eat out. Our group not massively into the Apres-Scene, we are more the few quiet drinks then dinner types. However, cigarette smoke a massive PITA.

The two ski areas Obergurgl and Hochgurgl are quite small. Hochgurlg is a lot smaller that you may expect from looking at the piste map. This is because both edges of the ski area are served by ridiculous long, slow and steep t-bars. This is a shame because the rest of the lift infrastructure is excellent. Piste bashing was good, but not great and the terrain meant a lot of the pistes could have been wider but for some reason they weren't groomed. This meant that the hordes were herded into narrower than necessary pistes. The on-piste crowds were bonkers at some stages, but due to the quick lifts queues aren't a problem. When the weather permitted we formed the cunning plan of heading for the T-bars that nobody wanted to use. Only problem was that a lot of people had the same idea as us and tried the same T-bars to escape the crowds which created lengthy queues at said T-bars - Catch 22.

Snow was great. Quite a bit of off-piste available for those who like that sort of thing. Not many super tough pistes around, which was fine for our group.

Food on the mountain pretty good and reasonably priced. Service good. Toilets excellent. Most people spoke enough English, but we did find some people in the village who spoke very little. A lot of signs are only presented in German.

Didn't ski at Solden (20 minutes by bus) but walked around the village. Much bigger than Obergurgl, with lots of eateries, pubs and a few table-top\girly bars. Snow looked sketchy at village level.

Traffic on the way in (we drove from Geneva) was a complete nightmare.

We liked;
- the fast lifts.
- the good on mountain facilities.
- snow quality

We didn't like
- relatively bleak scenery
- limited size of pisted ski area
- cut-off isolated feeling of village and long drive in.

In summary, it may tick the boxes for some people but it isn't for us. If you are going to ski in that area then you may as well go to the Dolomites (visible from top of Hochgurlg) and have better scenery, more skiing, better food, better coffee/bombardinos and more non-skiing options. Sadly it would be right down the lists of places where we have had a ski week. Places that we would return to for a ski week before Obergurgl include the Dolomites, Alpes De Huez, Davos, Zermatt, Monte Rosa, Portes Du Soleil, Les Aravis, Evasion Mont Blanc and Grand Massif. I'd even have Chamonix in front of Obergurgl.

All that said, with the current arm weather (16c in Geneva today) it is a sound bet to hold onto it's longer than most of the place listed above.

Good luck Bene and let us know how you go
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good, accurate and balanced review based on my limited experience (4 days there).
Worth adding that it is a very easy drive from Innsbruck - we did a long weekend.
Snow cover was a bit thin when we were there but still found some nice off-piste, plenty to be had.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Juddernaut, I agree with many of your points, although as you admit some of them are more a question of personal preference than anything else. Just to take issue with one or two of your points:

Long drive in: - Well, anywhere is going to be a long drive in if you start from the wrong airport. The vast majority of skiers going to Obergurgl will fly in to Innsbruck. I appreciate you probably flew in to Geneva for some personal reason, but you can't really blame that on the resort. Val d'Isere is a long drive in if you choose to fly into Toulouse (that's a pretty good GVA/Obergurgl equivalent. One advantage Obergurgl has over much of the dolomites is the shorter transfer.

Bleak scenery - Can't quite understand this one. We didn't find it bleak at all, and the views from the Top Mountain Star are truly staggering.

We went last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. I probably won't go back in a hurry because, like you, I found the skiing area to be too small.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Bleak scenery - Can't quite understand this one. We didn't find it bleak at all, and the views from the Top Mountain Star are truly staggering.

I liked the scenery but it IS bleak in the sense that it is very high and feels remote - few trees. I'd call Val Thorens and Tignes bleak too. But that is all pretty obvious when you know the altitude.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jedster wrote:
Quote:

I liked the scenery but it IS bleak in the sense that it is very high and feels remote - few trees. I'd call Val Thorens and Tignes bleak too. But that is all pretty obvious when you know the altitude.
Indeed. On a poor vis day we want a resort with loads of trees but in a poor season we want a high resort. It's hard to have both at the same time. I can't say I felt that Obergurgl felt remote or isolated. It actually felt very cosy to me.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@foxtrotzulu, we live in Geneva (didn't fly in). Once you turn into the Otztal valley, there is no decent overtaking area until the end of the line (i.e. Obergurgl). This is a problem if you get stuck behind slow NL plated Volvos etc. I have 300HP under the bonnet and got past a few times but it took an hour to get up the Oztal, whereas Google quotes a wildly optimistic 30 minutes.

The S16 from the West is appallingly. Long sections of single lane, undivided carriageway. To me, the trip to Kronzplatz (for example) by car seems much easier. From Innsbruck, Google Maps has Selva at 1:37 and Obergurgl 1:25.

As I said, in our opinion it is bleak is compared to Haute Savoie, MonteRosa, Dolomites etc. Just the nature of the high altitude beast. We don't expect everyone to agree with us. Just saying if you are with people who want "pretty" scenery and village then this ain't the place for them in our opinion.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Juddernaut,
Quote:

it took an hour to get up the Oztal, whereas Google quotes a wildly optimistic 30 minutes.
Are you sure that's right? Google seems to suggest one hour from the time you turn off the E60.

Not sure what your point was about Selva. Were you just saying that the Dolomites aren't necessarily a long transfer? In which case, fair point. We looked at Selva a couple of years back but rejected it because, like Solden it suffers from a busy road through the middle of town. The fact that Obergurgl is the end of the line and consequently not plagued by constant traffic was one of the things we liked about it. I actually thought Obergurgl was OK looking. Not exceptional, but not too bad. A gem compared to what you see of Solden as you drive through the centre.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
robboj wrote:
I was there in January, thoroughly enjoyed it and will go back. Yes, as you've read its not huge and it was no challenge to ski it all in a week but nice snow and well maintained pistes, Almost empty in mid January - one morning I was skiing untouched corduroy on a red at 11am! Apres is good especial the Nederhutte which is legendary.

As far as hotels are concerned I stayed in the Hotel Crystal. The rooms are nice if you don't choose the suites in the older part - as I did. The food is average to good, beautifully presented but often rather bland and tasteless. The major letdown was the staff who are obviously not a happy bunch. Our table waiter was like Basil Fawlty, obviously we (and the surrounding tables agreed) were only a considerable inconvenience to him. The bar is mainly empty and that is because of the incredibly rude head barman, Borislav the bawbag (as he soon became known in our party) Yes the facilities and location are very good, decor wise they have tried a look of minimalist fused with classic Austrian and art gallery but it just didn't work for me, felt rather functional and spartan. Overall its ok, but I wouldn't go back - it's not worth the money they charge and my feedback to Crystal Holidays was essentially that it shouldn't be on their 'Crystal Finest' list.

We looked in at a few of the hotels for a nosey and a drink. Bergwelt looks and felt really nice but small-ish and whilst is ski to door it involves a steepish walk down to the main town. The Hochfirst really is 5 star, very smart with a price to match although if thats not a barrier then I wouldn't hesitate. Of the other bigger hotels we liked the Edelweiss & Gurgl best, very slightly dated looking but atmosphere was nice as were staff and location is unbeatable. One also to consider is the Hotel Madeleine, right in the middle of the village but with a nice restaurant that we ate in one night and wonderful welcoming staff, it also gets No1 on Trip Advisor.

I stayed in the cheaper Sport hotel across from the more upmarket Crystal. We could use Crystal facilities. So tea time scoff, pool and saunas etc. Sport was deserted by staff after breakfast and until dinner.

I thought Sport was OK for the price. Staff were very good. Food was limited in choice though and not brilliant. Handy for access to the lift rather than walking to the main town lift. I tried Solden as the bus stop is right outside the hotel, however Solden was a bit too busy for me.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Juddernaut, Thanks for taking the time to write a comprehensive reply. Glad to hear you and your group had a better time than your earlier reports might have suggested.

Like with any ski trip I'm just going to take it as it comes. Given the time of year we were somewhat limited to a relatively short list of resorts, plus wanted exactly the type of accommodation that Obergurgl offered. Unless there is a some off piste on offer when we travel I expect I might get a little bit bored, but going with the mindset that this trip is about making it enjoyable for the Mrs first and foremost. Which will mean long lunches and early finishes if the conditions warrant it.

Will certainly report back, I would have liked to have skied the Dolomites this season but don't suspect the conditions would have been up to much-if they'd have even been open in our April week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@Juddernaut,
Quote:

it took an hour to get up the Oztal, whereas Google quotes a wildly optimistic 30 minutes.
Are you sure that's right? Google seems to suggest one hour from the time you turn off the E60.

Not sure what your point was about Selva. Were you just saying that the Dolomites aren't necessarily a long transfer? In which case, fair point.

Yep my point is transfer times from Innsbruck pretty much the same between Obergurlg and the Dolomites.

You are right about Google. It actually does quote an hour to drive up the Oztal. I stand corrected and apologise for the misleading info. Dunno where the half hour came from but my wife was involved in navigation.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Juddernaut,
Quote:

Dunno where the half hour came from but my wife was involved in navigation.
What do they say about women and cavalry officers?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
George Jones wrote:
robboj wrote:
I was there in January, thoroughly enjoyed it and will go back. Yes, as you've read its not huge and it was no challenge to ski it all in a week but nice snow and well maintained pistes, Almost empty in mid January - one morning I was skiing untouched corduroy on a red at 11am! Apres is good especial the Nederhutte which is legendary.

As far as hotels are concerned I stayed in the Hotel Crystal. The rooms are nice if you don't choose the suites in the older part - as I did. The food is average to good, beautifully presented but often rather bland and tasteless. The major letdown was the staff who are obviously not a happy bunch. Our table waiter was like Basil Fawlty, obviously we (and the surrounding tables agreed) were only a considerable inconvenience to him. The bar is mainly empty and that is because of the incredibly rude head barman, Borislav the bawbag (as he soon became known in our party) Yes the facilities and location are very good, decor wise they have tried a look of minimalist fused with classic Austrian and art gallery but it just didn't work for me, felt rather functional and spartan. Overall its ok, but I wouldn't go back - it's not worth the money they charge and my feedback to Crystal Holidays was essentially that it shouldn't be on their 'Crystal Finest' list.

We looked in at a few of the hotels for a nosey and a drink. Bergwelt looks and felt really nice but small-ish and whilst is ski to door it involves a steepish walk down to the main town. The Hochfirst really is 5 star, very smart with a price to match although if thats not a barrier then I wouldn't hesitate. Of the other bigger hotels we liked the Edelweiss & Gurgl best, very slightly dated looking but atmosphere was nice as were staff and location is unbeatable. One also to consider is the Hotel Madeleine, right in the middle of the village but with a nice restaurant that we ate in one night and wonderful welcoming staff, it also gets No1 on Trip Advisor.

I stayed in the cheaper Sport hotel across from the more upmarket Crystal. We could use Crystal facilities. So tea time scoff, pool and saunas etc. Sport was deserted by staff after breakfast and until dinner.

I thought Sport was OK for the price. Staff were very good. Food was limited in choice though and not brilliant. Handy for access to the lift rather than walking to the main town lift. I tried Solden as the bus stop is right outside the hotel, however Solden was a bit too busy for me.

Yes, I agree, I had a look in the Sportiv and thought it was by far the better value for money of the two. TBH and whilst meaning no offence it rather annoyed me that the Sportiv guests had the run of the whole complex. I'd forgotten to mention that earlier and it was just another factor that put me off the place. No harm to you or any other Sportiv guests who did, I mean why wouldn't you use it? From the owners point of view they lose my repeat business and may risk other business from everyone who reads threads like these because they made me feel daft to have paid almost double the money for nothing much more than what you got?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I also stayed in the Hotel Sportiv for the last week in February and also thought this hotel was excellent value for the cost, however it is a 3 star hotel where the Hotel Crystal is a superior 4 star hotel property with the fixtures and fittings to match, with a far better choice and quality for breakfast and dinner and this is where the difference in price comes from.
ski holidays
@richards521, Admittedly that should be the concept but the food was the same. We verified this with folks we met on the plane who were staying in the Sportiv. Yes the Sportiv is dated but the room I had in the Crystal was not particularly impressive, certainly not worth double!
snow conditions
@robboj,
Quote:

@richards521, Admittedly that should be the concept but the food was the same. We verified this with folks we met on the plane who were staying in the Sportiv. Yes the Sportiv is dated but the room I had in the Crystal was not particularly impressive, certainly not worth double!

Just looking at prices for a random week in Feb 2016 the difference between The Crystal and The Sportiv is £266 pp per week.. For better rooms, a nicer environment and, I'm pretty sure, better food/service as well that seems a fair price.
latest report
Juddernaut wrote:

I suspect that nearly everybody goes with a half-board option so there are very few places to eat out. Our group not massively into the Apres-Scene, we are more the few quiet drinks then dinner types. However, cigarette smoke a massive PITA.

I'm taking the family to the Hotel Jennewein on the 4th April.

I keep banging on to the other half about how much better Austria après is compared to other countries, as she's never been skiing in Austria before.

I can tolerate a bit of smoke but the Mrs is not going to be a happy bunny. Oops Laughing

Looking a trying the Nederhutte for a bit of cheeky après. Is this going to be a smoke filled den of inequity or do we get to escape the smoke coz they serve a good rack of ribs.

Seriously though any must do recommendations for Obergurgl virgins (2 families with almost grown up kids) would be appreciated.
ski holidays
We were in Obergurgl at the end of February the good news is no smoking inside the Nederhutte this year, however the bad news is that there is smoking allowed in the apres bar of the Hotel Jennewein and it was bad.
ski holidays
@richards521,booger, let's hope it's so hot in April they have open the umbrellas then wink

Just got back from Ischgl so I no how bad it can be in bars but it was in a couple of places absolutely unbearable,even for the smokers in our group.

Why don't they fall in line with other EU countries and give all the bar staff a break. rolling eyes

As I say I can hack it but........ Can't believe we used to put up with that here.
ski holidays
On reflection maybe 'I can hack it' was the wrong turn of phrase Laughing
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@robboj,
Quote:

Just looking at prices for a random week in Feb 2016 the difference between The Crystal and The Sportiv is £266 pp per week.. For better rooms, a nicer environment and, I'm pretty sure, better food/service as well that seems a fair price.

Not from what I saw? Everything, menus, facilities, run of the place is the same apart from the room. The Sportiv bar was busy and had a nice atmosphere, the Crystal bar was empty which was plainly the way the lazy boorish barman liked it. In terms of what we paid it is the supplements that are the problem. The basic holiday was £889pp with supplements of £209pp for w/c 17 Jan. Of this the majority was flight supplements but included £40 to upgrade to a 'better' room, which I wish I hadn't as the smaller room actually looked nicer. So a total of £1098 as booked early October last year. The folks we met from our locality staying in the Sportiv paid £565, booking just before Xmas, maybe they got a deal but its still not a lot more than half what we paid.
snow report
@hedley, Piste #1+17 from Hohe Mut. 3+9 (red and black) are nice. On Hochgurgl side, piste 27 (black, but short)+26 (blue)+25 (red) all the way down to the valley).
I'll be in Solden from 5th April. Plan to go one day down (or up) the valley to Obergurgl. You should go the other way. If you buy a ski pass for a week, you can add 10 euros and spend a day in Solden. Don't forget to mention it when you buy the passes.
latest report
@hedley the best Après in the Alps can be had at the nedderhutte (and the ribs are fantastic) it is so much better now it is smoke free. Try the Bar the Edelwiess that is now also smoke free and is alway a good place to mingle.
ski holidays
robboj wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@robboj,
Quote:

Not from what I saw? Everything, menus, facilities, run of the place is the same apart from the room. The Sportiv bar was busy and had a nice atmosphere, the Crystal bar was empty which was plainly the way the lazy boorish barman liked it. In terms of what we paid it is the supplements that are the problem. The basic holiday was £889pp with supplements of £209pp for w/c 17 Jan. Of this the majority was flight supplements but included £40 to upgrade to a 'better' room, which I wish I hadn't as the smaller room actually looked nicer. So a total of £1098 as booked early October last year. The folks we met from our locality staying in the Sportiv paid £565, booking just before Xmas, maybe they got a deal but its still not a lot more than half what we paid.

Shame your food was disappointing. I thought the stuff they put out at 4pm was the best of the day. I assumed Crystal breakfast and dinner would also be to a better standard than what we had over the road. Did you have to make a choice in the morning for dinner? We did. Basically vegetarian and non-vegetarian - which might be fish. Not much of a problem for me personally, but others found it too limited.

Bar in Crystal seemed lively enough at tea time and staff seemed OK. The tall barman in Sport seemed to be popular but trade was nothing like as busy as Crystal tea trade.
latest report
@George Jones, was never back at 4pm - was in the Nederhutte! The Crystal bar after dinner was funereal in atmosphere. One of our party asked for a hot chocolate and was given a mug of hot water and a sachet of Milka. Pretty poor for a 4.5 star hotel.

Yes we had to choose in the morning too but the choices were specified, there were three choices - meat or fish and a vegetarian. Interesting to hear that you didn't actually know what your choices were - I must've misunderstood that part from the folks we met, that said the actually dishes served were definitely the same as we met those folks almost daily and compared notes.

Rather bizarrely we only actually chose on the Friday morning which was Basils (as we christened our waiter) day off. When we enquired of the pleasant young lady who stood in for him as to why we had to choose that morning when we hadn't all week she explained that this was in fact the normal arrangement but that 'Basil' refused to operate that system. This then explained why our main course took about 20 mins to arrive every night. Just another factor that annoyed me and put me off the Crystal. I'm perfectly capable of choosing from, essentially, two items in the morning and still be happy with my choice twelve hours later. This is one part of the reason for my suspicion of some pretty calamitous management.

Anyway enough moaning, I'll leave it at my advice being that if anyone perusing this thread in advance of making a booking in Obergurgl wants to spend their money on a Crystal Holidays "Finest' hotel then the last one I would recommend is the Hotel Crystal. If they really want to stay adjacent to the Festkogel Gondola, stay in the Sportiv.
snow conditions
At our stay at the Crystal last year we certainly never chose our courses 12 hours in advance. We did it when we sat down for dinner. V cute dark haired waitress we had too Embarassed
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, Suggests to me a recent change then, obviously one that at least one waiter is not happy with? Again still further reinforces my view that the root of the problem is managerial?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bene, How'd it go?
snow report
Hi @robboj, I stuck a review up not long after we got back, maybe should have added it to the thread to close it out so thanks for asking!

We had a great week, and as far as I was concerned it was very much mission accomplished as in addition to some great skiing it felt like a holiday, and most of all the wife really enjoyed it after adopting a able to 'take it or leave it' attitude towards skiing in recent years.

We had glorious weather on all but the last day where it rained in the village but was snowing further up.

I thought the ski area was bigger than the quoted KM's of piste suggested, looks like a new chair could be going in over the far side of Hochgurgl? I think there's plenty for a week, to me piste skiing is piste skiing so don't need a huge area, if we enjoyed a run we just did it again! We tended to head over to Hochgurgl first thing as the sun seemed to hit the slopes over that side earlier. IMO I'd take the total lack of queues and quiet pistes over 100 KM's of piste. Generally there were quite a few beginner to nervous intermediates around suffering from piste colour paralysis-so I guess like most resort the blue pistes were busiest while anything red was really quiet. I had a day with a guide while the wife had a spa day, I was pleasantly surprised at the availability and difficulty of the terrain on offer.

Bad points, probably just the piste marking was poor in some places, not an issue in weather like we had but in a white out it would be easy to get yourself off course.

Hotel Bergwelt was brilliant, food was of a very high standard, so good it was like eating out at a very good restaurant every night. There isn't much going on in the village but if your idea of a good ski day ends with a few beers then dinner and hitting the sack then you don't need much more!

We had day in Solden really just to say we had-fantastic area I thought and the scenery was note worthy.

In summary a great place for an end of season trip in particular, and a mix of a great hotel, quiet slopes, and weather made it a great trip. Would return and don't say that about many areas!
snow conditions
Quote:

if we enjoyed a run we just did it again!

it's surprising how many people seem to take the attitude "that was a good run, but it will spoil my week if I have to do it again". wink
snow report
@pam w, Agreed, but much as I loved Obergurgl in many ways we did find ourselves doing the same run 3-4 times in a row. That does get repetitive.

It's not about doing the same run a few times in a week, but apart from access runs I don't really want to do the same run much more than twice, maybe three times a day. I'm not sure if you know Obergurgl, but there is a quite a clear divide between the Hochgurgl ski area and the Obergurgl ski area. You move from one to another by gondola, but the gondola takes about 15 minutes and is altitude neutral so you don't really want to spend all day shuffling back and forth. If you go in late March, for example, then you may want to avoid the lower runs for part of the day and then you find yourself limited to about 1/4, or less, of the 100km piste area.
latest report
Quote:

I'm not sure if you know Obergurgl

No, I don't, but having spent several weeks of every season since 2002 in an area with 195 km of pistes (and sometimes with fair amounts of it with poor snow, especially early or late season) I'm not easily bored. wink

But 25 kms does sound rather little!
ski holidays
A gondola is being built to replace the Kirchenkar t-bar on the far side of Hochgurgl. Apparently, the top station will be much higher up in the Kirchenkar than the old t-bar station so this will increase the pisted area by quite a large amount. Some detail here: http://www.obergurgl.com/urlaub/EN/GG/WI/aktuell/news/top_mountain_crosspoint/index.html
snow report
@Bene, Sorry I hadn't spotted your earlier review but cheers for the feedback anyway. Our group have pretty much decided to go back again in January although I think the Hochfirst is the choice. How was the Bergwelt location wise for slope access etc?

Yes would agree with you about the piste marking, strangely poor and often what was there wasn't quite clear. Maybe its a classic example of the locals who need to be sorting it not noticing it in the first place because they all know anyway?

I agree there was plenty for the week and empty sure beats more. January was fab as well, the snow quality was just the stuff of legend!
ski holidays
@robboj, Bergwelt wasn't ski in/out but not far off. In the morning it was either a 20 meter walk, ski down to the tow and then down to the Festkoglbahn Gondola Or a ~75M walk to the flat blue and skate/pole to get to the two main Obergurgl uplifts. There was also a minibus on demand to take you to the ski school pick up/drop off they also offered to take us to Solden and/or pick us up.

Obergurgl isn't short on good hotels, I'd stay there again mainly as there's a high chance you'd always be comparing and a chance you'd prefer to be in the other hotel! There really aren't enough superlatives to describe the food, and the spa if that's your kind of thing was very impressive. Booking direct and DIY we saved a lot, All in inc flights, hore, car hotel, passes (large drinks bill!) we were under a grand each.

Indeed I've skied in better areas but as an overall package it's very much up there.
ski holidays
@Bene, many thanks again, a late surge for the Bergwelt is now happening once we saw the prices for the Hochfirst. As for access its almost the same as we were at The Crystal and would be at the Hochfirst anyway
snow report
@ Bene, what time of the year did you go? We have been to Obergurgl many times and stayed at hotels not as nice as Berwelt and have never managed to do it below a grand! The price of going during or near school holidays!
snow report
@Bene,
Quote:

All in inc flights, hore, car hotel, passes (large drinks bill!) we were under a grand each.

Great skiing and cheap hores. What more could you want in a ski resort!
snow report
We've booked the Hotel Edelweiss in Obergurgl next year, arriving 2nd April, but we're not sure whether to fly or drive. We're midlands so a good choice of airports but we travel with boots and skis for 3 and Mrs mikeh doesn't do lean packing. If we drive are we looking at a busy weekend in Germany (in France the last couple of years its been really quiet) and the route that comes up is via the Fernpass - what's that like at Easter. The diversion if that's closed looks a long way round
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy