Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best way to get from Geneva to Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
hi all,
our holiday plans are in disarray after a c**k-up over passports. Looks like Ill travel with our daughter as planned with Esprit Ski but my wife and son make their own way over later once his new passport arrives. They'll have to take a last minute mid-week easyjet flight from Gatwick to Geneva (unless someone has other suggestions around london). Question is how to get from Geneva to Les Arcs ?! Problem is they cant book ahead as dont know yet when the passport will turn up - its on a 7 day fast track service so should arrive by Tuesday latest so expected late tuesday evening in GVA.

How much would a taxi cost to Arcs 2000 ? Is it cheaper to book ahead (but might only be a couple of hours) or just haggle at the rank on arrival ? Are there coach companies that make this route mid-week and in the evening ? google only seems to come up with pre-book-able minibuses.

This is looking to be a costly mistake and one we'll never make again but now need to work on damage limitation and getting them out as quick as possible.

thanks,
Nick

PS - anyone fancy hooking up for some skiing next week to avoid being solo ? see http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2683871

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 18-02-15 15:38; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One possible route (but extremely slow) is train to Chambery, then TER train to Bourg, Funicular to 1600, free bus to 2000. Or Bourg station to 2000 direct on connecting coaches.

If it's a late flight arrival you would have to stay in a hotel overnight and travel the next day. The cost of that for two would probably make the taxi fare the better bet.

There are probably better and more convenient ways, only mentioning this as an alternative.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The most cost effective might to rent a car and drive - especially if arriving late - because you can book a car very last minute and it would be for a fair bit less than a week. But I guess that's a problem with your having the Esprit transfers back? In which case a single taxi would probably be the best bet, really. After all the hassle, being whisked off in your private transport the moment you arrive would be a nice end to what must have been a stressful few days.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Some of the local taxi companies offer cheaper seats in their unfilled taxis on facebook. This one, for example

http://themountainrescue.com/last-minute/
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@melandnick, is passport really necessary?
Can you not travel on some other form of ID?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jonpim, I don't think you can if you're British, old boy. A TO wouldn't take the risk as they'd have to pick up the bill if somebody is refused entry into Switzerland.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hi All,
thanks for the tips so far. Passport is for a 5 year old. I dont think he can get through passport control checks in UK or abroad without it. Sadly UK is not part of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area so a passport is a necessity. Some have suggested 'winging it' and 'no one will notice' but this is not really a risk Im prepared to take. Ive applied for a new one as fast as I could so hopefully he can enjoy the majority of the holiday rather than potentially not having any of the holiday if he gets turned away at any point on the outward journey.

keep 'em coming Happy

thanks
Nick
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've used the coach from GVA to Bourg a couple of times. Takes about 3hrs with a stop at Moutiers and costs about 110E return, so car hire may be cheaper for 2 of you (4 on the way back). Works well and is a nice way to travel.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@melandnick, Might be a little late, but I thought you could go to your local passport office and get one the same day. It might cost a few more £££ but got to be cheaper than losing days from your holiday and paying for extra flights and transfers.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@chrisrawles, I don't think you can do that for a child's passport, I understand there is at least a 7 day waiting period for children's passports. We had somebody who had to cancel their holiday for the same reason.

@melandnick, Altibus run 3 buses a day midweek (12:15, 15:30 and 19:50) from Geneva airport to Les Arcs 2000, it is 82 euros single for an adult and 41 euros single for a child.
Hopefully this link will take you to it - https://www.altibus.com/reservation/horaires.aspx?cp=fr&rt=ALP343&dA=24/02/2015&dR=03/03/2015
You can pay at the desk in Geneva or probably even on the bus so you will not have to book a ticket in advance.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You are right. For some reason kids passports tare not available same day. I guess its background checks. Perhaps its because adults leave a bigger foot print, voting register, credit history etc.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry to hear about your passport woes mate. Would it be worth looking into seeing if the TO can change your holiday dates? Might do it for a fee? I agree on not trying to do journey without a passport- I wouldn't even consider trying it. Last thought- can you not go into London and just sort it all out in a day? My stepson did that a couple of years ago. Costs a bit more and WILL take all day.... but at least you can get it over with and still have your full holiday.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Could also try Cool Bus

thecoolbus.co.uk

They do GVA to the Tarrentaise.

Also on the 'Whats On in the Tarrentaise' FaceBook page often have private transfer companies advertising empty legs back from GVA.

Your wife and son only need to get to Bourg St Maurice, when they can get the funnicular up (much swifter than the drive) and can then connect to free navettes from Arc 1600.

Have used Altibus in the past and it is a very good service.

Hope it all works out for you rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not sure where you live but Easy Jet have loads of flights from Luton. Tad north of M25 up the M1.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just seen the replies about kids not being able to do the one day thing Embarassed
latest report
@melandnick, Try a post / request on here

http://www.findtransfers.com/shared-transfers.php
snow report
@melandnick, all might not be lost - our daughter sent off the new baby's passport application on a Monday and the passport was received on Wednesday - she had been quoted up to 21 days so was delighted. Hope it could be the same for you.
snow report
@Pamski, That's more like it. Good positive posts. Fingers crossed for you Nick.
latest report
Sorry to hear of your predicament.

Have you considered the Eurostar to Paris and then the sleeper to Bourg? It leaves Paris Austerlitz at 22:56 and arrives in Bourg at 07:44 the next day. So, St Pancras or Ashford on the Eurostar to Paris. Metro or Taxi to Austerlitz and then the sleeper. It might actually work out cheaper than last minute flights and transfers. Your little one might even enjoy the experience.
snow conditions
Post up a lift request on the Facebook group: Tarentaise Transfers Noticeboard.
Loads of people use it out here and for their guests.

Also, depending on the arrival time at Geneva, a train from the airport to Geneva Central, then to Chambery (from the French side) and then change for BSM might be poss. Much easier than it sounds. See the Voyages SNCF website and break the journey down as above for the most options.
snow report
@Gaza, +1 Austerlitz sleeper is a fine way to travel, and given the sum of all the parts of get to airport, flying and trasnfer may well turn out cheaper / more convenient. Try Jacky at rail-canterbury.com for prices and options. (I have no commercial connection, I just use them every year).

Or One-way car hire? - I think it's Europcar that have an office in BsM - other firends have done this. Drop off either night of arrival if < 20;00, or next day after arrival so can get Esprit transfer back with the rest of the gang.

Bad news all round tho, and sympathies for the additional pain in sorting out.
snow report
hi All,
thanks again for the great info. Sounds like flight to GVA from Luton or LGW then Altibus (if the times work) or Coolbus (if they dont) is the best value option. The train idea probably wont work out any cheaper as I need to get tickets from london-paris then paris to BSM as it wont allow me to book as a single transaction any more. Train would also take a lot longer and since their holiday may already be cut short Im keen to get them out in the quickest time possible. Ill also look into the 'find transfers' once we have a better idea when the passport my arrive. Local trains from GVA sounds quite challenging - especially with a 5 year old but thanks for the tip.

Im going to chase them (passport office) again in a couple of hours as last night it was still 'awaiting exam' but I managed to get an 'alert' put on it to be looked at this morning and now they know my travel date which you are not able to give when actually submitting the application (why?!). Maybe Ill have the option to collect it but they cant yet tell me when or where it will be printed. I spent 5 hours getting to Peterborough and back yesterday as that was the only passport office that had any appointments left this week ! Id drive anywhere in the UK to get it as, however long it takes, it will be better than the alternative !

I havent asked Esprit about changing the dates. Maybe Ill see where the passport stands at the end of today. I cant imagine they'll go for it since they will never be able to resell our booking at such short notice. However, the passport may still turn up - thats the dilemma !

Ill keep you posted !
Nick
snow report
@Pamski - thats good to know. Friends and colleagues have also similar stories of really fast turnarounds. Im just hoping it works out for us too. Google is never your friend in these situations as people only normally rant online over disasters (bit like me really !) than praise when it all goes as planned !
ski holidays
@melandnick, I know exactly what you are going through.

My brother is in Chatel at the moment. The weekend before last we were at his house dropping off the keys for our apartment where he is staying. He was getting everything together in good time (so he thought) but discovered his daughter’s passport was missing.

Panic ensued. He managed to pick up a form on the Sunday, completed it, got photos and arranged for them to be certified and managed to get an 09.30 Monday appointment in Liverpool (Peterborough is just down the road but no appointments were available!). He was there at 09.30 and submitted the form on a 7 day fast track and was told it would probably be ready in time for him to drive out on the Friday (but no guarantees). It was actually ready for collection on Thursday so a second five hour round trip and he was good to go on Friday afternoon.

Hope your experience is similar. Don’t give up hope yet.
snow report
I am delighted to report that, against all the odds, our sons passport was delivered this morning so we'll be traveling together as a family after all Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

This must rank as a few of the most stressful days I can remember. A special thanks to the staff of our local MP, who I contacted upon advice from a friend who was in the exact same predicament last year. They can pull strings, apply pressure and cut corners that no ordinary citizen is able to so, should you find yourself in the same situation, then do contact your MP for help !

Cheers for all the advice and tips above but thankfully 'plan B' has been averted.

Looking like it'll be a snowy week next week too - hope the sun makes an appearance from time to time too Very Happy
snow report
Brilliant news. Each time I saw an update on this thread coming through I eagerly opened it hoping that the passport had arrived. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I'm sure all the stress will be forgotten when you get on that plane on Sunday.
snow report
That's fantastic, have a great holiday Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
AWESOME....been reading this with fingers crossed for you....have a fab trip.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
Delighted, enjoy Very Happy
snow report
Great news, Enjoy the fresh snow.
ski holidays
@melandnick, so pleased that it arrived in time and that the united family will be off together.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy