Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many resorts in a single season

Poster: A snowHead
Here's my list for this year so far....

Verbier
Val D’Isere
St Luc/Chandolin
Crans Montana
Leysin
Les Diablerets
La Dole
La Berra
La Serra
Les Brassus
Charmey
Bruson

This is all on the back of being a ski dad, taking a nipper to a range of ski races and other events - but as a result I've ended up skiing all over the gaff - with still another month and a half of events, i'd expect another 6 or so resorts to be added to the list by the end of the season.....the getting up at shocking in the morning of a sunday is a little wearing, but the upside is lots of skiing, in all weathers, in loads of places I'd never heard of before this year. (side note, Charmey is a cool little resort in the Gruyere, well worth a look!)

And from that, I've now a much more balanced view of what constitutes a "good" resort for me and my family to visit. I've decided that I much much prefer the vibe in teeny tiny resorts. (insert massive generalization here) - smaller resorts are calmer, seem to me to have way less queues in general, and as a direct result of their lack of traffic, be much easier to find safe side of piste off piste jollynesss (complete with airbag, shovel, probe, tranceiver, helicopter, stun grenades etc)

So i guess my total for the season will end up around 16 -18 ish individual resorts.....haven't yet even managed to get over to any of my normal PdS haunts, so a concerted effort could end up over 20. I was thinking of writing TR's up as i went, but i'm way too lazy so if anyone wants the inside track on any of the above, lettuce know. (excluding verbs, val etc, I mean the unknown ones, way better heads around than mine on the biggies).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good going @coddlesangers! Mrs MA and I love trying as many new places as possible - from unheard of two-lift locals' areas to mega resorts. Although we get anything from 30-60 days on snow each winter, we have never done more than about 6 different places in a season (including Scottish areas and (ahem) resorts of the English North Pennines.

Our approach contrasts somewhat with a bloke I met last year. He (and his wife) were looking forward to Schladming - after skiing there one week a year (same hotel) for 20 years.... And to think I've skied nearly 200 ski areas....but never Schladming wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@coddlesangers, well done finding so many super little places: small and pretty. Les Brassus seems to have only 2 lifts.
Always fun to find these lovely little off-the-usual-list places.
Bruson is the hidden gem of the Verbier 4-valleys set-up.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@coddlesangers, What is Leysin like please?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I won't get near that but hoping to get in a lot of the resorts (small and large) around L2A on my next extended trip. Col D'Ornon will have to be the first as it closes on 15th March soon after I arrive, it only has 1 or 2 lifts I think and only opens weekends and Wednesday afternoons outside the french holidays.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, there is no one going to beat "Starli" the star reporter, who does at least one big tour per season.
And a big tour means, driving 7000-9000 km and visiting dozens of resorts, most of which you've never heard of.

For instance, the 2013 tour of south eastern Europe
http://www.sommerschi.com/forum/reportagen-f8/sos-2013-sued-osteuropa-ski-15-2-4-3-2013-t2945.html

And in 2014, the france spain italy tour, going all the way down south to Sierra Nevada by car
http://www.sommerschi.com/forum/reportagen-f8/fist-frankreich-italien-spanien-tour-19-2-9-3-2014-t3108.html

It's all in German but very much worth looking and reading. If you can't read german, just paste the URL into google translate
2013 tour https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sommerschi.com%2Fforum%2Freportagen-f8%2Fsos-2013-sued-osteuropa-ski-15-2-4-3-2013-t2945.html&edit-text=
2014 tour https://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sommerschi.com%2Fforum%2Freportagen-f8%2Ffist-frankreich-italien-spanien-tour-19-2-9-3-2014-t3108.html&edit-text=
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well last season I skied:

Stubai Glacier
Nordkette
Patscherkofel
Obergurgl
Ischgl
St Anton/Lech/Zurs
Westendorf
Axamer Lizum
Obertilliach
Schlick2000
Kuhtai
Wolkenstein/Selva Gardena (all the Sella Ronda resorts should probably count as just one, but I guess it's about 5 really?)
Niseko
Moiwa
Asahidake
Teine Highland
Kamui Ski Links
Kiroro
Furano
And a few touring areas.

Much less this season so far:

Stubai
Silvretta Montafon (Hochjoch, St Gallenkirch, Gargellen)
Ischgl
Nordkette
Fieberbrunn
Pejo3000

And in a few weeks Gulmarg!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clarky999, ... Life is too short!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@red 27, Leysin is a nice mid size resort, certainly enough there for a day or two of skiing. It's coolest feature is the revolving restaurant on top - one thing I've noticed though is that it seems to suffer more than most from icy pistes, particularly the red off the Berneuse. Its easy to access, basically the first station up from Aigle and the closest fully fledged resort to Lausanne - it has also got a lot of stuff for kids including a pretty cool toboggan park. I quite like Leysin, mainly as its quick to get to, reasonably quick to access the installatios ** nb if you arrive late in the morning, you will have to park down at the bottom of the village by the sports centre and take the shuttle bus up ** but this is no biggie as its just 3-4 minutes, and the parking at the bottom of the village is plentiful and well organized. The skiing is generally good, with very good off piste easily accessible if thats your thing, and on piste, plenty of well groomed stuff. South facing mainly, so gets choppy fairly early in the afternoon. Has a link to Les Mosses by bus, but the skiing in Les Mosses is decidedly...erm...average, so any time we go we generally just bod around Leysin itself. It tends not to be all that busy, but there is a single run back to the village so that does sometimes require good slalom skills Toofy Grin , overall, its a lovely resort when in condition. Definite one for a day trip or a weekend for me.

@clarky999, CHALLENGE ACCEPTED Toofy Grin but not sure i'll get over 20....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@coddlesangers, Laughing go for it!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Onnem, Starly doesn't count because [s]he isn't a snowHead... unless U know otherwise?

clarky999 wrote:

Wolkenstein/Selva Gardena (all the Sella Ronda resorts should probably count as just one, but I guess it's about 5 really?)
I don't know if they should be counted if you just 'ski through'. However if you spend a bit of time there it's countable. eg. Bellow, I've not counted Selva as the lifts were closing for wind and I had to turn back at the top of Dantercepies but as a result I skied every run in Colfosco that day.
St Anton and Lech may be on the same lift pass but they're certainly 2 different resorts. I'd probably call Zurs it's own place too.

So far this season I have skied,
Tignes
Laax
Flims
Livigno
Madonna di Campiglio
Kronplatz
Cinque Torre/Laguzoi (let's call those one)
Arabba
Corvara
Colfosco
Magda Ciapella
Civetta
Nordkette

Next week I expect to ski:
Serre Chevalier,
Montgenevre
Claviere
La Grave

The following week I'm looking at:
Champoluc
Gressony
Alanga

I'm a bit annoyed to have missed the chance at Selva, Canazei and Alba/Pozza while at the Birthday Bash but there was important powder that needed tracking snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@admin, haha, priorities! What did you think of Nordkette?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I thought it was cutely urban.
Lots of yoot throwing their twin tips around like they were just clicking their heals and snowBoarders, smaller and younger than I've ever seen.
The top gondola was closed for avi-risk but I loved being able to sit outside the mid-station and gaze down on the city. London doesn't have a ski area and I found myself adding up the justifications for living in Innsbruck.

I should have given you a shout when I knew we were going to be in town but I was expecting to meet someone else who turned out to be unavailable in the end anyway... next time!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@admin, yeah it's quite easy to justify that one haha!

For sure let me know next time!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@admin, I am not entirely sure you're allowed to class the 3 Monterosa valleys independently.

I think the rules should refer to the number of list passes you've bought. And PDS doesn't give you 12... Skullie
latest report
Number of lift passes doesn't really work in Dolomites nor parts of Austria. eg Sella Ronda and Cortina and Kronplatz are very much different resorts but are on the same pass, and in Austria, the Salzburger Super Ski Pass thingy gives access to so many separate resorts, that it'd be the equivalent of having something like the "Haute Savioe Superski Pass" in France, rather than Espace Killy etc.

edit: if going by lift pass count, I'd choose resort boundaries for single day local area pass to define "resort", even though in general you'd have an area pass.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@admin, I am not entirely sure you're allowed to class the 3 Monterosa valleys independently.
What if I ski them each on 3 successive days?
Quote:

I think the rules should refer to the number of list passes you've bought. And PDS doesn't give you 12... Skullie
Oh well, I win then - I bought 100+ lift passes for Dolomiti Superski the other day Wink

There are separate passes available for Tignes and Val d'Espair which are clearly 2 resorts as are Val Thorens and Courchevel. 'Mottaret' and 'Meribel' though look more like the same town. Arabba and Corvara have separate passes available but most use the Superski pass for both. Cortina is on the same lift pass too, as is Ortisei but U would be hard pushed to squeeze them both into a singe day's skiing.
ski holidays
Quote:

What if I ski them each on 3 successive days?

Clearly you are there to lunch rather than ski then Twisted Evil or you like driving too much.

@andy, good points.

...too complicated.
snow report
Well, since Admin has rewritten the rules, I'll be adding Flims and Laax (next weeks hols) and upgrading my earlier list to include Gryon, and also separating Chandolin from St Luc....

@clarky999, oohhhhhhhhhh getting closer. Particularly if i go to Splugen and Lenzerheide + Arosa (new rules, right?)
snow report
Think the most I can find in a season is 11 local areas.
This year is only 8 so far.
Most in a day is probably 6ish.
ski holidays
So jealous of you lot, how on earth do you manage so much snow time, im lucky to get in 1/2 weeks
snow report
@GO1996, stick around snowHeads for a while and you'll start to get the hang of it.
There are all sorts of tips and tricks to shave a few quid off here or add a day or two there.
Between the knowledge of the group and the power of numbers, all sorts of things are possible.

In the early days the legendary hoppo said something like, "When I came to snowHeads I thought of skiing as a once-a-year luxury and quickly realised that twice-a-year was the bare minimum. This year though, I'm feeling a little hard done by that I'm only getting 3 weeks in!"
snow conditions
@coddlesangers, Thanks - mate of mine goes there this Saturday and as he stalks me on here, no doubt he will read that to his benefit snowHead
snow conditions
@GO1996 the question is more - "what's stopping you"? Time, money, family or inertia?
ski holidays
I think they count as separate resorts only if you can't get from one to another on pisted runs or walking from one base lift to another. So, Alba and Colfosco are two. Corvara and Colfosco are one.
ski holidays
This season's list is likely to be:

Sainte Foy
La Rosiere
Tignes
Val d'Isere
Les Arcs
Rejdice
Dolni Morava
Moena
Kuhtai
Bosi Dar
Hintertux

Back in the day, any list of this kind would always have had the numerical bonus of including all or most of the Scottish resorts.
ski holidays
So far for me this season:-

Austria:

Hintertux
Stubaital
Kaunertal
Pitztal
Soelden
See
Graen
Mellau/Damuls
Warth/Schroecken
Nauders
See
Schwarzenberg
Kappl
Fiss/Serfaus
Fendels
Biberwier
Berwang
Zahmer Kaiser

UK:

Glencoe
Cairngorm
Yad Moss
Weardale

We are in Austria at the moment, so plan to ski a few more areas in the next couple of weeks. We are in Achensee now then are heading to Matrei in Ost Tirol on Saturday. Watch this space Very Happy
ski holidays
GO1996 How to get more time on snow?

1. Ski European glaciers outside the winter season. Some good snow to be had from October to June and soft snow in the heat of July and August certainly beats lying on a beach.
2. Move to within striking distance of UK snow. Mrs MA and I generally do do up to about 15-20 days abroad each winter but supplement that with 10 -15 days in Scotland and 6-12 days in England's North Pennines. In the epic UK winter of a couple of seasons ago we fitted 64 days skiing round full time jobs - though that was between October and June. Over half was weekend skiing in the UK, including 19 days in the Pennines, where snow lay continuously for about 10 weeks.
3. (In conjunction with 2.) Get ski touring kit and skin up to ski skiable UK snow even when the lifts are closed. You can find us in Scotland in June.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Update: I missed out on La Grave at the SOPiB as I had to take the BU5 4 DUB to the garage - not that they did anything worthwhile to it rolling eyes But we did go to Sestriere instead.

Then Custard the Rabbit and I spent 2 weeks investigating Val d'Aosta. The only really significant area we didn't ski there was La Thuile, although we did have lunch there which, the rabbit declares, counts as 'having done' the resort as it's Italy.

So far this season I have skied,
Tignes
Laax
Flims
Livigno
Madonna di Campiglio
Kronplatz
Cinque Torre/Laguzoi (let's call those one)
Arabba
Corvara
Colfosco
Magda Ciapella
Civetta
Nordkette

Serre Chevalier,
Montgenevre
Claviere
Sestriere

Champoluc
Gressoney La Trinite
Alanga
Cervinia
Courmayeur
Zermatt
Valtourneche
Pila
Crevacol
Brusson
Antagnod
Gressoney Saint-Jean (Weissmatten)
ski holidays
Impressive list (29 resorts), admin, now linked to on the 'ski hacks+jollies' thread ...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=117747#2700649

James Cove of PlanetSki said on 22 Feb that he'd skied "over 30 resorts" this winter - which had reached "35" on 8 March. These are, as yet, unlisted.
snow conditions
I don't think I quite count as a 'ski hack on a jolly', David.
For a start, I've paid for every lift pass and Hotel.
latest report
Excellent, Graham, and a jolly good thing.
snow report
So it doesn't count if you didn't pay for the excursion or lift pass?
latest report
That's quite a list Graham
latest report
Not sure we can compete with Grahams list but setting off this friday and going to;
Alpe d'huez
Les deux alpes
Meribel
Courchevel
La tania
Val thorens
La plagne
Les arc
Tignes
Val d'isere
Les carroz
Morillon
Samoens
Flaine
Morzine
Avoriaz
Les gets
Chamonix (is the whole valley one or several resorts?)
Megeve
St gervais
Les contamines
La clusaz

In all resorts skis will be used, lift passes and hotels paid for.
snow report
It's not big...it's not clever......
In years gone by I would normally ski 20-25 different locations per winter season on both sides of the Atlantic. All flights/travel, accommodation, food and lift passes supplied....I just turn up ski, and buy the odd beer. Now I just do a handful each year and buy my own food too Very Happy
ski holidays
Following my earlier post my revised list for places skied this season is:-

Austria:

Hintertux
Stubaital
Kaunertal
Pitztal
Soelden
See
Graen
Mellau/Damuls*
Warth/Schroecken*
Nauders
Schwarzenberg*
Kappl
Fiss/Serfaus
Fendels
Obergurgl
Biberwier
Berwang
Imst
Zahmer Kaiser
Pertisau
Maurach
Alpbach
Kaltenbach
Grossglockner Resort (Kals/Matrei)
St Jakob in Defereggental
Lienz Hochstein
Lienz Zettersfeld
Sillian
Koenigsleiten/Hochkrimml

UK:

Glencoe
Cairngorm
Yad Moss
Weardale

We kicked off the season in October, with glacier skiing - making the most of our season tickets for the Tyrol (that run from 1 October to 15 May!) Very Happy For the eagle eyed among you, the starred resorts above weren't covered by our season passes. The first 2 were skiied on a Birthday do that we attended and the 3rd one was somewhere we ski toured en route back from the do....
snow report
Very impressive lists above

Val d'Isere
Tignes
Flachau
Wagrain
Alpendorf
Zauchensee
Flachauwinkl
Schladming
Forstau
Sun Peaks
latest report