Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lesson decisions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We’re in Les Arcs for Easter again this year (1600 this time), and I’m looking to sort out the lessons in the next couple of days. In the past couple of years the three youngish ones (9,11,14) have been in morning groups (Oxygene at La Plagne, then ESF at Peisey – against received wisdom, they all preferred ESF) while me and wife have shared 3 privates. Now while this has worked reasonably well, I’m wondering whether to shake it up, and put us all in private (and maybe 4 lessons this time, rather than 3, as we have the late 21.45 flight back so can ski Saturday as well). The costs aren't so much different.

However we’re all at different stages – 1*,2*,3* for the kids, my wife is a bit less confident/competent than me, but we can both do moderate Reds at different speeds – probably the closest is my wife and eldest.

So what would you do – would a Private lesson for the two youngest two work ok, or would No 2 feel he’s being held back on his parallels and need for speed while No 3 is starting to get to grips with stem turns – or would any decent instructor be able to keep them both happy and progressing ?

What about No 1 – she could do with a bit more self-belief in her abilities. Would a group of three with her parents (just what every 14 year old adolescent hopes for, I imagine!) help or hinder her, and would that have too much of a detriment to me - I sometimes feel I don’ t get everything out of the lessons that I could.

Or should I just maintain status quo ?

Opinions ? Would love to hear them.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What you tend to get on a message forum is people's justification of their own personal decisions and people then hear what they want to hear but here goes. From an instructor and instructee perspective then it is no problem teaching people with similar levels as most holiday skiers all have the same fundamental issues. However if there is a significant difference in speed and ability it is difficult to work with people effectively and best for all concerned if go with group of similar level which is why instructors move people between groups. I also think kids and parents learn best separately as they tend to distract each other. Personally prefer a good quality group to privates regardless of money. More fun in a group and privates too intense. I would stick with what you had but it does comes down to personal preference and difficult to tell without seeing people ski and how they interact with each other.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would think kids prefer groups, especially if they are the same age, that and you can get rid of them for 4 hours or more Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am an advanced skier. OH would be significantly below my level. However we have often taken private lessons together and I have found massive benefit for myself from. Because ultimately even for advanced skiers it is fundamental basics that often hold them back
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My word, twice in a week I am mostly agreeing with @TTT, what is going on? I'd say a speed difference for an, errr, ambitious? child might be trickier to manage. At 11 I had no interest in the finer points of technique, I just wanted to go faster and (ideally) go over lots and lots of jumps. (I wish I still had that fearless attitude...)

And for adults, working on skills and techniques, where actual speed is possibly not an issue, a good instructor ought to be happy managing two not too dissimilar standards.

So sounds like your existing formula might still be appropriate.

(Disclosure: I am neither an instructor, a parent nor mad. I don't have lessons very often either).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies - just to be clear, I was thinking of the option of two sets of private lessons - one for the two youngest, and the other for the three. Completely agree that learning with the young kids would not work for either of us!

I too think they might prefer the group as well, I just worry that the 'follow me' approach may not work so well for my son (not the best listening skills, even worse than mine, so my wife tells me!). And my eldest daughter will be in an adult class as well this time, now she's 14.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, Happy

@Pejoli, I think it is difficult to tell with older Kids. I have seen older kids switched off by skiing with adults and better skiing with their own age but also older kids switch on when skiing with their parents. Same with younger brothers and sisters - sometimes they work well together either by competition or support and sometimes they distract each other. I also see the dynamics change over time. I think it depends more on personalities rather than the skiing which you can better judge. Your previous formula generally sounds best to me but I also find it is good to try different formula to find out what works best for you. I would be tempted to let the kids decide but even then what we say and what is the best for us is not always the same. Follow me and getting people to feel different sensations works well for those of us with poorer listening skills. Obviously your wife has poor observation and feeling skills wink We all learn differently.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Completely agree that learning with the young kids would not work for either of us!

In the first lesson I ever had (first real time on Skis) there were 7 adults and a six year old girl in a pink onesie - that did wonders for the group because once she had shot off down the slope (shallow green) with no fear, it took the heart out of anyone complaining it was too steep / difficult!!

From what I've seen it doesn't work for parents though as they spend all their time watching their child rather than thinking about their own skiing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IME private lessons work better than groups.
Even if the younger members are at differing levels a single instructor can accommodate them all.

Both of my children have had a single instructor despite being at different levels, worked really well, and they enjoy the focus more. IMO money well spent.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It depends a lot on their relationship to each other and their attitude. I teach at a "family resort". So I get families often enough.

I've had brothers in privates or groups. The older one typically takes care of the little ones and even "help" to teach. Pretty interesting to observe. It's not a bad thing. The best learning is teaching after all. And I can use that to check if the older one actually was doing it the right way from how he "teach".

And just last week, I had a father and his two daughters, mixed in with 2 other kids. So the father was the only adult. Yes, he probably spend more time watching his kids than he should. But all in all, it worked out pretty well. I was teaching to the group of kids. I gave him special attention because he was the only adult. (kids are fearless, adults not so)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy