Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

March trip - where and when

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

Looking at planning a trip for March either the week of 14th-21st or 21st-28th.

First question - does the one week make that much difference? The 21st-28th is likely to be the more convenient week, but I wouldn't want to stick to that if the snow is likely to be that much better the week before.

Second question - I know it is probably a little early to know really, but where is likely to be looking good those weeks? We are beginner snowboarders, but can link turns and get down blues fine. Looking to spend a week practicing and maybe trying to move onto easy reds. Flights from bournemouth or gatwick are best for us. Budget is not really an issue, aiming for sub £1000 each all in.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cervinia would be good. Village is at 2,000 meters, the one week there wouldn't/shouldn't make a difference. There are some nice half board places across from the main uplift. I'd recommend you stay in the old village and not the purpose built stuff, it's pretty ugly. The village has a lot of restaurants to choose from if you just do B&B. Cheap, cheerful and tasty mountain food, views of the Matterhorn, and with your skills you could even ski on the Swiss side.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The earlier week would have the advantage of being lower season meaning quieter slopes and potentially better discounts. You might start running into more children and families for the later option.

As a skier I'm not best placed to comment on good resorts for boarders though.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

First question - does the one week make that much difference? The 21st-28th is likely to be the more convenient week, but I wouldn't want to stick to that if the snow is likely to be that much better the week before.

Possibly, there may be more and better snow on the week commencing the 21st or there may not. Not sure if it is really true but I am of the opinion that the equinox brings storms and snow. But I am probably wrong. An apartment for 2 in Les Arcs will cost 310 euro for the first week and 290 in the second so the immobiliers think the demand will be higher in the first week than the second (it is).

As to where to go - well it almost peak season, the kiddies will be back at school and most of the resorts in full swing. Get hold of a copy of "where to ski and snowboard" and start researching. It is fun
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's the middle of March, the snow will be fine pretty much everywhere.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dates are OK either would work, as they are before the Easter holidays. Although I would always choose the earlier week if it were me going.

Cervinia is a good choice.
Also think about Obertauern in Austria, it has a really good rep for boarding tuition, and is actually very snow sure.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kantha wrote:
The earlier week would have the advantage of being lower season meaning quieter slopes and potentially better discounts. You might start running into more children and families for the later option.

Is the earlier week low (or lower) season? I don't think there would be any difference - they're aren't any holidays across Europe, so I think they're wouldn't be much difference in terms of busyiness.

I agree with the earlier point about snow conditions - going earlier doesn't guarantee better conditions. You could have a warm spell in early March, and then it could start dumping late March who knows.

Personally I wouldn't go too low at that time just to be sure. I'm off wc 21st March btw...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy