Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Protection gear for a snowboarder

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I've started focusing on park recently and decided I need to buy some protection gear.
Right now I ride with a helmet and occasionally with wrist guards.

I figured I'll start with back, knees and shorts protection. I did some research to find out the different options available and since I'm currently in the 3 valleys I've been looking around the shops for gear as well.

Back protection:
2 options seems to be relevant from what I've seen in the shops around here -
Scott - http://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/2363660001009/back-protector-soft-actifit-black-xl/
and POC - http://www.pocsports.com/en/product/1655/spine-vpd-2-0-back

I really liked the feel of the d3o material (Scott) but I read quite a lot of good stuff about POC (in general, regarding protection gear) so it took my interest as well.
It feels a bit bulky compared to the Scott protection which made me wonder whether it's a better protection or they're both quite the same. If they are - I do lean towards Scott.
Also wanted to note that for the Scott I lean towards the L or even XL size since it's longer and I figured provide more protection to the lower back/tailbone. I'm not a tall guy but I did try the XL (sat with it etc) and it felt good.

Knees protection:
I can't seem to find it online, but tons of shops sell knees protection by ProSurf. The price is fairly low and it contains d3o material which is good. It did feel a bit bulky when I tried it so there is that. Another option is the G-Form which seems really cool. Since it's not being sold around here I'll have to order it online if I do go for it.

I know that hitting a box/rail with a knee is a bitch so good protection is really a must here (which throws out all the soft shell protections).
I know the hard shell ones really limits the movement (and also ruin the pants) which is why I lean towards the d3o/G-Form and the like.

Should the G-Form do the work? My reasoning is that if skaters who fall onto concrete use it then it should.
They seem a lot thicker than the d3o which makes me wonder whether they still provide the same amount of protection or not. If they do - I can't really think of a reason to go for anything else.

Shorts protection:
There are more options here but I mostly liked the Burton ones (d3o) from what I've seen around. POC also seems like a good option but a bit more bulky.
Also, again, the G-Form seems like a great option seeing as it's thicker and light.
I read some comments (regarding both the G-Form and Burton) saying that none of them offer enough (or at all) tailbone protection but I figured since I'm going to ride with the back protection as well I got it covered.

That's about it. Sorry it was fairly long but I wanted to share my thoughts here and would really like to get some feedback.
Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got 2 sets of impact shorts - some 661 D30 mountain-bike shorts and some Dainese hard-shell shorts.

I wear the D30 ones in the park sometimes if I'm just going to hit kickers. As they're MTB shorts, the protection is more on the hips than the butt-cheeks, so rail protection isn't great. I wouldn't trust the D30 on my coccyx if I hit a rail hard. On the plus side, you don't really notice these shorts once they're on.

The Dainese ones have protection you can have faith in (I've taken a few slams onto boxes and barely felt a thing) but they are slightly restrictive. I wear these when I hitting rails/boxes, racing BX and when I when I want to horrify my wife by prancing around in them fishnet style...

Can't really comment on the back gear, I use my 661 Pressure Suit for BX racing, but rarely wear it in the park.

I have the POC soft-shell MTB knee pads and they'd work well for snowboarding - but I've never felt the need for knee pads on my snowboard.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wrist protection?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevomcd, did you hit a rail while wearing the D30? The difference is really that big?
I read tons of positive reviews about Azzpadz, which only protects the tailbone, but people say it does it really really well.
There is also a video by G-Form where they drop a tablet with their case while sky diving and it lands in one piece. Obviously this is not the same but it seems like a decent showcase of how strong that material actually is.

Shorts is the only protection you wear in the park? You don't feel the need for knee pads? I read enough stories of people hitting their knees hard and getting injured while doing boxes/rails that it feels like a must. I hit mine few days ago (thank god nothing serious, but still painful) and promised myself that I'm not hitting another box without knees protection rolling eyes

kiteman69, I have built-in wrist protection in my gloves. Got that covered..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@bigimot, slide out on box in D30 = sore ar$e. Slide out on box in hardshell pads = no worries...

Never felt the need for either knee pads or wrist guards snowboarding (16 years, 2000+ days and counting....). Think I hit my knee on a box once and it did smart a bit. Maybe if I was really going for it on street-style rails, but I have no interest in that whatsoever!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Each to their own, but I've never felt the need for kneepads. I've got a set of basic wristguards, and a set of budget impy shorts, and that does me. A mate swears by back protection but I've never seen the need personally.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bigimot wrote:

Knees protection:

I know that hitting a box/rail with a knee is a bitch so good protection is really a must here (which throws out all the soft shell protections).

I don't do rails so maybe I'm wrong to suggest this, but I wear Volleyball knee pads made out of high density foam... They absorb an awful lot (way more than usual volleyball/soft knee pads and yet are low profile and unobtrusive/comfortable..
Something like this: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/v500-volleyball-knee-pads-blue-id_8064471.html
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Each to their own, but I've never felt the need for kneepads. ....

Interesting. I can't really imagine falling on my knees, but my stance is alpine so perhaps that's why.

Maybe they're pads for kneeling down, which you do see some people doing. Rather like the use of the knees on technical rock, it may be better to look at other approaches.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stevomcd, hardshell pads doesn't limit your movement quite a lot tho? Think I'll try the D30 and see how it feels like. If I won't feel protected enough I guess I'll either stop doing boxes/rails or pick hardshell ones for the days I do. It seems weird that you don't feel the need for knee pads when doing boxes/rails, maybe you already have good control/know how to fall better? rolling eyes

@Richard_Sideways, to be honest I'm still not sure about back protection either. I can see why it's important when you go off piste and maybe if you do really big jumps, but so far I'm not doing much of either. Do you do rails/boxes? Because for me that's the only reason to get knee protection.

@Kruisler, feedback is always welcome - so thanks. It seems like a lot of people use this type of pads and are satisfied, but I can't see how they provide enough protection when hitting metal.. Sad

@philwig, are you doing rails/boxes? Before I stared - I couldn't imagine falling on my knees either, but things has changed since then..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@bigimot, No, QED perhaps. I'm all in favour of parks though, I just wish more people would go there, especially on powder days wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@philwig, haha I totally agree more people should go there on powder days. I still prioritize powder days above park (and pretty much anything else), but outside of that - I'm becoming a park rat. At least for now.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bigimot, I've done boxes, and it was my rear-end that took the brunt of the punishment - if you're going off the sides then you can normally pop off, if you're boardsliding, in my experience you're more likely to go down on your bum than catch your forward edge.

Learning park is the only reason to go to the Fridges and therefore go riding in the summer.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Richard_Sideways, I have to say this was exactly my thinking when a friend of mine told me he hit his knee on a box and he won't do boxes without knee protection. I went ahead anyway and it was ok for a couple of times until I hit mine as well. I don't think I caught an edge, just lost balance in some weird way (probably my lack of experience and being nervous).

I'm sure if I was more experienced I would've just popped off as you said (which is also what I thought I'd do) but unfortunately I'm not.
I'm worried about my butt as well hence the reason I want to buy shorts impact and knee protection. With this new tech it seems like you can get a pretty decent protection without feeling you're wearing it, which makes it sort of a no-brainer to me.

Not sure I understand your last comment (Fridges). Care to explain?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@bigimot, the hardshell shorts don't really bother me, although they are slightly bulky.

As I said, I think I've hit my knee in the park once in many, many years riding, so I don't feel the need for knee protection. As @Richard_Sideways, I can either pop off the side if 50-50'ing or if I'm boardsliding I'm much more likely to fall on my ar$e - hence the Dainese shorts...

Fridge = Indoor Snowdome.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stevomcd, can't argue with that then. As for Fridges - I wish I had that option where I live.
Thanks again for your help guys.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy