Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire recommendations Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Any company that's particularly good/bad? This will be a summer trip so no need for snow tyres wink

Grateful for pointers - TIA
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do rent your car at the French side of the airport. It is much cheaper.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The French side is much cheaper because of the exchange rate. The only thing to bear in mind is that the car wont have the vignette so you either have to buy that or dodge swiss motorways.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very strange but after 12 years of mucking about to the French side the swiss side was cheaper this year! Never had an issue with French car and Swiss motorways either as we always came back through Geneva its-self. Use Hertz as we get discounts from business so worked out cheaper. No problems with them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hertz almost every time.
1) use CDP 569608 for 15% off as long as you have a MasterCard of some description
2) sign up for hertz gold (it's free) and never queue again! Get upgrades more than half the time as well.
It's also worth preemptive booking a year or more ahead, on a 'pay at location' basis which can be cancelled at no charge anything up to day of collection. Means you can book a car without having yet finalised flights.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The motorway vignette has become much more expensive - I bought mine (for my own car) last Tuesday and I paid €50 and got 5 swiss francs change..... Sad
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure of the relevancy but will add this anyway. I hired a car from Chambery France to Geneva (train station) from AVIS - very expensive as it was one way drop off (but very much fun especially driving through a snow storm at 100km/h). Everything worked out fine. Border crossing, tollway payment etc. Just beware of the fact that there may be a hold on the credit card as well as payment. My ~100km trip cost around $580 AUD (Australian Dollars) but at the same time as the debit came through there was also a 'thing' called an outstanding authorization according to my bank which clogged funds for about 6 working days.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowdave, thanks for the discount code! Brilliant work!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Argus has been good for us two years running. They farm it out to the likes of Avis and Sixt.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used Holiday Autos for the last few trips and they have been very good.

We had serious trouble with one of the cars and they arranged a conference call with the hire car company at the airport. Even refunded my costs as the car had broken down. Excellent customer service.

Recently used a newish company called Green Motion who proved to be excellent as well.

Always go through Quidco to get some cash back....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Montana, It's worth using a comparison site to find a good deal, we use www.carrentals.co.uk but there are also other comparison sites out there.
They compare all the major brokers (Holiday autos, car trawler etc.) and car hire companies

At the moment there doesn't seem that much difference in price between the Swiss and the French side for rentals in July but it is worth comparing the two.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
one observation - IME the Hertz rental desk at GVA never has a queue, whereas all the others do. I suspect because Hertz is more expensive, but you get what you pay for.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At the moment you can get Feb half term next year for under 140 via Hertz which strikes me as pretty cheap.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I booked my easyjet flights, I clicked on the easy car link - their prices beat all the rest for March 28th (ended up coming from EuropCar)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just booked with Hertz after advice on here got a small SUV for a week for £127 Swiss side, will report back on the process but the car looks good!
latest report
B1g_browner wrote:
@snowdave, thanks for the discount code! Brilliant work!

PS, if you sign up for hertz you can preload your petrol/diesel. That way you just drop the car off and get it charged at a local rate. None of this searching for a station near the airport or being pee'd off at the extra refuel cost.
latest report
@GlasgowCyclops, didn't see that option! Need to reinvestigate
latest report
Quote:
None of this searching for a station near the airport
We usually drive back to GVA from Tignes, 3 Vallees etc via Annecy - and fill up at the pay at the pump Carrefour petrol station on the lakeside, just before Annecy (at Sevrier I think?). Cheap fuel and the gauge doesn't move by the time you reach the airport wink.

We use Autoeurop for car hire - free cancellation, no credit card charges, snow tyres generally included and 6% Quidco cashback.
snow conditions
Broke the habit of a lifetime over Xmas and used holiday autos rather than hertz or Avis direct. What a Scam. They quoted me a cheap price due to no CDW (which my credit card covers so I was ok with that) but later insisted I also had no third party cover and would need to pay HA a big daily fee for it. The fine print was ambiguous (it didn't state it was included or excluded, and they refused to put anything in writing), but the extra policy they were trying to sell me was clearly just CDW. I called their bluff and when I collected the car, Avis/budget were astonished at any suggestion that they would rent cars without 3rd party insurance and all was ok.

Then again, £180 for a golf for 15 days at Xmas/NY was pretty cheap!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy