Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me design a new CONCEPT Snow-sports HELMET! (Small survey included)

Poster: A snowHead
Hey there Snowsporters!

I'm a student in my 4th year of study doing a Masters in Product Design and Manufacture, and as part of my final design project I've decided to design a snow-sports helmet with a difference!

Whenever I'm on the slopes I find that the balaclava covering my mouth and nose always gets moist as I breath in and out, and this moisture creates a cold, damp, smelly patch which is uncomfortable! My idea is to implement a detachable mouthpiece that provides comfortable ventilation and offers some added protection!

I've set up a simple 6 question survey that will greatly help me in my research phase of this project so please feel free to do that by clicking on the link below:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CYRWY7M

Also please leave any comments relating to this, and also tell me about some first person experiences / problems that you've encountered whilst on the slopes!

FAQ: How is it different to other existing full face helmets that exist, such a Ruroc?
A: Ruroc has a detachable mouthpiece thats main focus is to provide extra safety for falls / collisions and is designed with the idea of either attaching the mouthpiece for the full day or removing it at the start of the day and not using it. My design will focus on trying to avoid the damp uncomfortable balaclava problem that I mentioned above (therefore will be lighter and more compact + easier to transport), as well as using a release / hook mechanism with a magnet allowing quick removal and attachment even with gloves on. (I found that some people prefer helmets without full face protection because its easier to talk to their friends at the bottom of a slope without something covering their mouth).

Thanks all
Richard

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 16-02-15 15:08; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How is your idea different from this.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You're basically talking about a fullface helmet, which are already available.

Finding a material - or making some sort of patch (a polypro mesh?) - to make a buff type thing from that doesn't get wet is probably a better choice.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rjs, isn't that a permanent closed in shape though? I think the idea of a thing you could just clip on when it's specially cold is quite a good one. Survey done
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:
How is your idea different from this.

I've added your query and an answer to an FAQ's section in the main text Happy thanks for your response!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the piece is removable, in which case I would only like it if it could easily be stowed in a pocket or small bag. I too wouldn't like a permanently closed arrangement.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
clarky999 wrote:
You're basically talking about a fullface helmet, which are already available.

Finding a material - or making some sort of patch (a polypro mesh?) - to make a buff type thing from that doesn't get wet is probably a better choice.

I've added your query and an answer to an FAQ's section in the main text Happy thanks for your response!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pedantica wrote:
I've assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the piece is removable, in which case I would only like it if it could easily be stowed in a pocket or small bag. I too wouldn't like a permanently closed arrangement.

You've assumed correctly - I plan to use a simple magnetic hook mechanism that'll allow quick attach/detachment with gloves so it can easily be taken off. Also if you just wish to remove it briefly to talk to friends at the bottom of a slope for example, one side can be released leaving the other to 'hang' (sort of like a fighter pilots mask if you know what i mean?)

Thanks for the feedback Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

That'd be an Airhole facemask then...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It would need to be removable for washing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
you'd need to find a way of improving over the usual neoprene facemask.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One of these will do won't it :- http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdqWQ0F8aAyiVd7gLZIHAeQdtFxgbRDfcAmDwSvdmdwUEoEAqZrjn_ewQ
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
done, comments added.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
That'd be an Airhole facemask then...

Yes I would combine it with the helmet & maket it as the "A-Hole Helmet"
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@RichardBenc, not sure there is anything new here...
The ruroc has a detachable cover but is very bulky to store when off. But it leaves the 'gape' from the bottom of mouth guard to the lower neck.
I'd think of a necker/snood whatever they are called that is designed to fit to the helmet, this would create an air space to prevent the moisture building up... or just get a ruroc and then attach a dangling scarf with velcro that could be tucked into a jacket... job done.
ski holidays
flangesax wrote:
@RichardBenc, not sure there is anything new here...
The ruroc has a detachable cover but is very bulky to store when off. But it leaves the 'gape' from the bottom of mouth guard to the lower neck.
I'd think of a necker/snood whatever they are called that is designed to fit to the helmet, this would create an air space to prevent the moisture building up... or just get a ruroc and then attach a dangling scarf with velcro that could be tucked into a jacket... job done.

Thanks for the idea, I'll defiantly incorporate a custom necker into my design - thanks for the idea!
latest report
I don't really see the need to cover my mouth and nose, I kinda enjoy breathing... Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy