Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Concerns about the cold !

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at snow-forecast etc the temps in Austria seem to be really low - is this usual or are they going through a really cold spell ? I have only had experience of Andorra and France in the past and I think it never been below about -10. Some daytime temps in Austria are showing -20 to -30 without windchill.

I think I need to get out and purchase some thermals ! Any specific make better than the others ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Paul Mason, I have found that just an extra layer can be suffiicent, but you also want to think about your head and face protection too - and use some lining/inner gloves as well maybe.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Paul Mason,
Quote:

I think I need to get out and purchase some thermals ! Any specific make better than the others ?

My personal preferences are for HH Lifa or Lowe Alpine stuff. The M&S stuff has quite a good reputation. You can negate any wicking properties in the thermals by topping with a T shirt wink Avoid at all costs!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Paul Mason, The frostlets learnt to ski on the glacier in Kaprun when on 3 days the HIGHEST temp recorded was -20 Shocked plus 40kmph winds. Layers are very good to keep core temps up but turtle furs or balaclavas, good hats (ie one that can be pulled right down )etc are essential to keep skin exposure to a max.

Looks like the cold blast may have dissapated by 2nd Jan. However it is looking snowy Very Happy snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Paul Mason wrote:

Hi Paul, Last week I got some M&S merino wool thermals off Ebay at a good price. They were advertised as 'Grade B Quality', but I found them to be sound as a pound with no quality prob's. Cost per item is £3.99 + £1.00 postage. I reckoned it was a bargain, so I bagged myself 2 sets. P.S. Check the M&S site for garment sizing.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARKS-AND-SPENCERS-MERINO-WOOL-T-SHIRT-X-LARGE_W0QQitemZ8740041451QQcategoryZ62171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

You can negate any wicking properties in the thermals by topping with a T shirt

or with a pair of cotton rich trackie bottoms. For anyone booking a last minute holiday the motto has to be "go low". The high places have little to commend them this week, thin snow, rocky slopes and too cold to have much fun. cD5, those thermals sound good, will have a look, thanks.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I tend to layer up - I have silk thermals which I wear next to my ski, then Helly Hanson ones on top, then my shell trousers. That copes admirably for me down to -25 at least. If it dropped below that, I'd probably put thin TSBs on instead of the HH thermals.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Paul Mason wrote:
I have only had experience of Andorra and France in the past and I think it never been below about -10. Some daytime temps in Austria are showing -20 to -30 without windchill.

It's started to get much colder this afternoon. Currently -12 in Les arcs (I've just spent half an hour servicing my skis on the balcony - hands are so cold I can barely type). The cloud has come in and there is a very fine drizzle, but frozen obviously, in the air. Forecast seems to be for a light dusting of snow in the next 36 hours, then a decent amount around New Year.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

It's started to get much colder this afternoon. Currently -12 in Les arcs

Brrr...! Time to get the family organised into a snow dance Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowbunny wrote:
Brrr...! Time to get the family organised into a snow dance Very Happy

Yes please, that would be very kind of you!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

snowbunny wrote:
Brrr...! Time to get the family organised into a snow dance

I was thinking about your family Little Angel ...perhaps they could dance in front of a suitable webcam, and an enterprising snowHead could post it up for comment Toofy Grin
We are due for snow tomorrow and Weds....allegedly Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowbunny wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

snowbunny wrote:
Brrr...! Time to get the family organised into a snow dance

I was thinking about your family Little Angel ...perhaps they could dance in front of a suitable webcam, and an enterprising snowHead could post it up for comment Toofy Grin

Ah, I see. There's just me and Jane and Oscar The cat, and none of us are much good at dancing. As for a suitable webcam, this one points at our building and if you were looking very closely you might have been able to see me on my balcony sharpening the edges on my skis (if it wasn't so cloudy, of course).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

There's just me and Jane and Oscar The cat

You have your cat with you in Les Arcs?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowbunny wrote:

You have your cat with you in Les Arcs?

Sadly not Sad He's at home being spoiled by the cat-sitters. One of my neighbours here has brought his cat, so I have a substitute to play with...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar.org.uk,
Quote:

Sadly not He's at home being spoiled by the cat-sitters. One of my neighbours here has brought his cat, so I have a substitute to play with...

Oscar will know, that you have been unfaithful wink
ski holidays
snowbunny wrote:
Oscar will know, that you have been unfaithful wink

Yes I know, but he will understand. We have an 'open relationship'...
latest report
Ray Zorro wrote:
Paul Mason, I have found that just an extra layer can be suffiicent, but you also want to think about your head and face protection too - and use some lining/inner gloves as well maybe.
Ray, not sure about that. Have tried with and without in extreme cold and found my fingers went numb far quicker with the inner gloves, better with a bigger air space around the hands in fact. I suppose if you have inner glvoes and normal gloves that still leaves you plenty of space around the fingers that might work.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 27-12-05 10:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
PG,

Agree with the air space, its why mittens work better, I think....
ski holidays
The air space is important, I always buy small mens' gloves, womens' pairs are simply too small, no wiggle room Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:
Looking at snow-forecast etc the temps in Austria seem to be really low - is this usual or are they going through a really cold spell ? I have only had experience of Andorra and France in the past and I think it never been below about -10. Some daytime temps in Austria are showing -20 to -30 without windchill.

You should never trust anything on a website- here in austria in this region it has been slightly above freezing these last couple of days!!! Puzzled -20 maybe at the tops of the mountains at 3000m but at resort level and skiing level it has only been about -6. Where about are going??

o the news they are saying we are in for more snow on wednesday to add to the metre we have in the village and nearly 2 metres on the mountain.

Nigel
snow report
snowbunny, Agree - I am actually size 7 glove, but my Hestra half/half are size 9 - can get 2 pairs on inner gloves inside and still have "wriggle room" Very Happy
snow conditions
I acknowledge the alternate views regarding the use or not of lining gloves and by no means do I have any expertise in this field. I guess there may be different situations, but silk inner gloves certainly made a huge difference for one of my children in November when we had wind chill down around the -30's. She had previously suffered with cold hands at much higher temperatures.
ski holidays
djfletcher, we are on a last minute into Salzburg and so we only find out which resort we are going to once we have landed.
snow conditions
I find that naturally warm hands can be a huge help. Try ebay to see if any are going cheap. My hands have never been cold and I have a pair of gloves that were €10 from Plagne Centre market. Mrs FTS on the other hand has never had warm hands, silk liners, €120 mits, hand warmers. Poor thing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy