Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hintertux glacier summer

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads

I'm thinking of booking a family holiday at the start of August and I'd like to fit in some beginner freestyle ski lessons on a glacier as part of the holiday

It's for my wife, our son (18 Months at time of travel) and I.

My wife is very keen on Austria but Italy or Switzerland would also be an option.

Based on my limited knowledge it sounds like Mayrhofen would be a good bet for the Hintertux glacier

Can anyone suggest a good hotel in Mayrhofen that is well located for getting up to the glacier? or would it be better to go somewhere else?

Also any suggestions for ski schools would be very helpful - do any freestyle camps (for adults) run on the Hintertux?

Thanks very much for reading
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Will you have a car ?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for responding - We won't have a car so location of accommodation is a factor
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I'm thinking of booking a family holiday at the start of August and I'd like to fit in some beginner freestyle ski lessons on a glacier as part of the holiday

It's for my wife, our son (18 Months at time of travel) and I.

poor little booger.... wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know poor boy... it looks like there is plenty for him to enjoy in Mayrhofen from the web - is this right or is it better to look somewhere else? I'm not too fussed about a huge glacier just looking for something with a small snow park for a couple of mornings Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
At that time of year there are less Glacier's open. Apart from Hintertux(Mayrhofen) in Austria, I would look at Kaprun + Zell am See which is also a great summer holidaying area.
Got a very high altitude snowpark too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Henwc, haven't been to Mayrhofen for years, but remember being intrigued, on a campsite many years ago, by promises that amongst the activities on offer were "festivities in the woodlands". I'm sure there'd be lots of nice stuff to do.

You're brave taking an 18 month old without a car though. Being able to lull them to sleep in the car then sit reading a book whilst they have a nap can be very useful. Some will sleep in a buggy, others will fight it to the last ounce of their strength and willpower.

Lots of people on this forum know Hintertux well and will be able to advise.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Henwc, I'm not sure there are buses from Mayrhofen to the glacier in the summer, maybe check with the tourist office. I think there are buses in the Tux valley itself, between Vorderlanersbach and Hintertux.

I guess you could get a taxi from Mayrhofen and back if it was just for a couple of days.

I would say that Hintertux has the best glacier of the places that I have been summer skiing and the prettiest villages nearby but there were more things for kids to do in Tignes and Les Deux Alpes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pam - The little monkey is not a big fan of cars (he don't like being strapped into a chair) - but we have the same thing with getting him to sleep baby carrier. He's getting a bit heavy for that already so by the summer it's going to be fun!

RJS - thanks for the advice - I will have to have a look at what there is closer to the glacier
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Athers - thanks too I will check out the other options you suggested - do you know if it is that has the steam train in the valley?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are at least 3 hotels right at the lifts in Tux and plenty more 10 mins walk around the corner, or even more still down the valley in Juns/Madseit/Lannersbach

There is a bus in the summer from Tux to Lannersbach, it does go to Mayrhofen but you are meant to pay, there's little point staying that far down though as there's plenty of hotels/apartments or b&b's in between

Check out the accommodation on http://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/en/service/accomodation.html
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Be aware that the skiing at Hintertux may be very limited in August, pretty much the worst time to go. Of course you could get lucky.

Generally I would avoid any time after the first week or so of July.

There are plenty busses up and down to Mayrhofen, but it can be a scrum to get onto the ones mid afternoon.

Found this pic on the web of August 2012.

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
yes expect streams appearing in the middle of what pistes are left and stopping by 1.30pm, well that's when they close so not much choice there, if the weathers nice then it's great you can go back to your hotel/apartment and sunbathe the afternoon away, last summer it was crap for 11 of 13 days I was there so you better like skiing Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks guys - comments on accommodation and timing noted - it might be better to go a different time of year - does anyone know when is good for the glacier near Innsbruck? We could use the trip to fact find for a longer visit to Innsbruck next year
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AthersT wrote:
At that time of year there are less Glacier's open. Apart from Hintertux(Mayrhofen) in Austria, I would look at Kaprun + Zell am See which is also a great summer holidaying area.
Got a very high altitude snowpark too.

I believe that the Kitzsteinhorn will not be open this summer due to major restructuring of lifts/pistes. It is due to reopen in the Autumn.
ski holidays
Really it doesn't matter which one you choose timing wise it's always going to be better going nearer to winter, Tux is the only one open 365 and the above pic is a decent representation of it in summer, sure it might be a bit whiter most summers but that's all you really get to ski that and another red down a few hundred metres, so if that's what the only glacier that can stay open 365 days a year looks like you can imagine the others...
latest report
@mbeaney, @AthersT, The Kitzsteinhorn is never open between the end of July (around 25th/27th) to the middle to end of September/beginning of October (or when the first good snows arrive). The work on Glacier Jet 3 and the new chairlifts will continue even when it is open from after Easter, but the lifts available will be severely restricted as several of the T-bars are being replaced.
snow conditions
Henwc wrote:
Thanks guys - comments on accommodation and timing noted - it might be better to go a different time of year - does anyone know when is good for the glacier near Innsbruck? We could use the trip to fact find for a longer visit to Innsbruck next year

Stubai is normally open until late/end of June, and re-opens mid/late September. However, they close the park sooner and open it later - it re-opens sometime in October I think, and I *think* closes mid/late May.
ski holidays
Cheers for the info Clarky
latest report
In my opinion your only option is Hintertux in August and that might not be great. If you just want to go to ski stay right at the bottom of the gondola. If you are going for a summer holiday and just want to ski for 1 or 2 days stay in Mayrhofen and get a bus up. All of the hotels are a good standard in town.

You need to be aware that you are not going to be doing freestyle courses etc. You can have a ski around on some nice pistes hopefully but you won't be doing much else and I'm pretty sure there will be zero instruction options at that time of year.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 16-02-15 15:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Samerberg Sue, I think that the Kitzsteinhorn uses the "nearly 365 days" in it's advertising gambit - I checked here for season times and it appears it is 365 days weather dependant.

These are some old season opening dates.

Yet I can't find summer prices on the website.

@mbeaney yes my mistake - I saw some of the new lift buildings going up when I was there at new year - Gletscherjet 3 should make the Kitzsteinhorn even more popular as it will greatly improve access back to the top of the mountain which at present is T-Bars or a slow large gondola.
snow conditions
Henwc wrote:
does anyone know when is good for the glacier near Innsbruck? We could use the trip to fact find for a longer visit to Innsbruck next year

Again, I wouldn't plan to go for anything other than a day trip to any of the Austrian glaciers past the first couple of weeks of July. I've even had some pretty bad condition then too.

Here are some pics of Tux and Kitzsteinhorn from the start of July 2013, I have also been to the Stubai glacier at this time but the terrain was very limited.

Tux, great conditions right down to the Tuxer Fernerhaus

Kitzsteinhorn from Zell am See, we didn't bother going up as it again limited compared to Tux.

ski holidays
@AthersT, it is open all year round but not all year round for skiing! In the time I mentioned you can go up to the Gipfelwelt (but maybe not this summer because of the changes to the lifts) but you cannot ski.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy