Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Year skiing.

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking about a trip for New Year again. This New Year we went to Flaine and had an ok time despite lack of snow. But don't really want to return.

We would want to leave on the 27th December and unsure of where to go it would be for two adults and two children. So would like half board or self catering, never done a chalet holiday before so unsure about this. ski in ski out accommodation and the main thing being a very family orientated not bothered about party night life, with good runs especially plenty of good blues along with good ski school avoiding the ESF.

I know we are taking a gamble on the weather and hoping this year was just an unlucky year.

Thoughts and recommendations appriciated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Linnylou26, the new year week was pretty good, snow-wise - after substantial snow on transfer day. Were you there at Christmas? That was dire, everywhere around.

Lots of places do Sunday/Sunday. Ski Olympic have a good reputation for chalet holidays (we had several great holidays with them years ago, but recent reports on SHs are pretty positive). But wherever you go, NY is very expensive and very crowded. And, as you've noted, a bit of a gamble weather-wise.

Easter is early next year - would be my bet for a school holiday ski trip next season. Cheaper, fewer people, more likelihood of good snow, longer days.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, it was ok lots of runs were closed so made the greens and blues very busy. We got to resort just as the dump started so had plenty of snow OH wasn't keen on resort as a whole,

We don't really do summer holidays so hoping to do a New Year and Easter. We are going to Montgenevre in 5 weeks taking children out for a week just before Easter this year didn't get approval but still going.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hope you enjoy the Easter trip, @Linnylou26. Don't blame you taking the kids out of school; I always did that, back in the day, and went skiing at the cheapest time, early January.

Christmas week is quieter and cheaper than NY - though of course the snow was awful this year. Our area (Les Saisies) had plenty open at New Year but still horribly busy. I went XC skiing. wink

I don't like Flaine much, either. And the only times I've skied there the lower areas were mostly grass - I think other parts of the GM, such as Les Carroz, are probably much nicer than the flaine bowl.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@pam w, The family would never forgive us if we went for Christmas. We probably won't get away taking them out again next year unless the rules change. It was like that again in Flaine towards the end of the week. We had a lot of problems with accommodation was the new PV one and wasn't ready for paying guests. We were ski in ski out but piste wasn't ready for a good couple of days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I've found that unforgiving family get used to the idea. OUr first time was because we were getting the keys to the apartment, so had to be there for that. After that they all just had to get used to it. Not sure what we'll be doing next season yet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I've found that unforgiving family get used to the idea.

Laughing I've persuaded quite a few of mine that they'd like nothing better than going skiing for Christmas!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, @Hells Bells, My life wouldn't be worth it taking the only grandchildren away over Christmas. I would be outcasted and have a very horrible year. Very Happy

New year is good for us as we never do anything.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Linnylou26, take the grandparents too. wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Linnylou26 wrote:
we went to Flaine ... don't really want to return.

Yep that figures...

Everyone has different budgets but presuming you're ok for money this place is sensational and very family orientated: About as different to Flaine as it's possible to be

http://www.schlosshotel-fiss.com/en/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Linnylou26 wrote:
Thinking about a trip for New Year again. This New Year we went to Flaine and had an ok time despite lack of snow. But don't really want to return.

We would want to leave on the 27th December and unsure of where to go it would be for two adults and two children. So would like half board or self catering, never done a chalet holiday before so unsure about this. ski in ski out accommodation and the main thing being a very family orientated not bothered about party night life, with good runs especially plenty of good blues along with good ski school avoiding the ESF.

I know we are taking a gamble on the weather and hoping this year was just an unlucky year.

Thoughts and recommendations appriciated.

This New Year was the first time we had ever done a chalet holiday, having for years with children in tow, done various permutations of DIY, from taking our caravan to booking apartments. Because all our now grown up offspring were elsewhere this Xmas/New Year and because our Christmas in a Morzine hotel was not ideal due to poor snow, we booked a last minute deal with Ski Ami in a chalet. Literally making the booking on the Sat after Xmas whilst still in Morzine. I was amazed at how easy the chalet experience made it for parents. Older children looked after younger children and all of the children amused each other, all the children were really nice and great company! The chalet in La Tania was not really ski in/out in the conditions that prevailed this year but some of our chalet group managed to make it that!

DIY is cheaper (at full price) but I was surprised at how easy the whole shared chalet experience made parenting! Perhaps the parents in our chalet were just lucky with the whole mix!

Ski in/out I think Arc 1950 would take a lot of beating, though we actually stayed in Arc 2000 Xmas 2013 and our apartment was easy access to skiing! Flaine I always felt was a bit soulless? Ski in/out seems to be a value judgement depending on ski ability and how far folk think a 'few steps' in ski boots actually is rolling eyes Smile

For New Year skiing this year has to have been pretty poor, but snow falls when it does, there are never any guarantees!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Linnylou26, How are you planning to travel? If you can access the ski train I'd recommend La Rosiere (Cimes Blanches apartments) or Les Arcs (Arc 1950 or Vallandry). Both ski areas have good snow records and are family orientated. Obviously many people fly to these resorts but it is a fairly long transfer from Geneva unless you get a flight to Chambery.

If you are driving maybe you could look at Les Saisies (Pam W is your expert there) or Avoriaz, although I haven't tried the latter in winter..we've only seen it in summer. Once you've seen Montgenevre you may want to go back there. snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Les Saisies is very busy at New Year. But maybe everywhere is! And, of course, there are no catered chalets - and I do agree that they are a great formula for families.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, I've had bad experiences in catered chalets and would always choose self catering or a hotel over them. However I can see they are nice if you are a group of friends travelling together and can book the whole chalet.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowymum, Thats interesting, I wonder if we were just lucky in our experience this year? What do you mean by bad experiences?
snow report
We stayed in a number of catered chalets over the years, and it was always fine. Except one time (ironically the only time we ever did take a whole chalet, with a big family group) when we were told on arrival that because the kitchen in the chalet wasn't suitable for cooking for a large group we would be eating in the hotel next door. That was Alpbach, in Austria. The hotel food was dire (possibly the "proper" hotel guests had edible food but ours was the worst I've ever experienced). And the attitude of the proprietors was awful, too. There had probably been some big falling out between them and Inghams, the tour operator, and they took it out on us. We felt like very poor relations, squished around a too-small table in a dingy corner of the dining room. Sad We enjoyed the holiday because we were a very happy group, and Alpbach is lovely, but if I'd known it wasn't going to be a catered chalet, as advertised, I'd have cancelled. Which is no doubt why Inghams didn't tell us!!

But other than that, in a range of chalets, from budget-style to more luxurious (last minute booking, no kids.....) we always felt we had good value for money and enjoyed the company of our fellow guests.

I don't like hotels much. It always irritates me to have to pay for every drink, whether a cup of tea or a beer, at bar prices, and I dislike crowded bars with Muzak and big lounge areas. I much prefer the informlal atmosphere in a small chalet, where people sit around in their base layers drinking endless cups of (free) tea after skiing. We also enjoyed some of the guided ski groups though I know those are much harder to find, these days!
ski holidays
@pam w, @snowymum, my daughter has a couple of allergies and coeliac disease so SC is safest for us. My OH is unsure of a catered chalrt with people he doesn't know he's not really one for small talk, me I can talk to much Confused I have just found a holiday back to Montgenevre leaving 27th same apartments we will be staying in soon with Neilsons. Depending what we think we probably will go back. Looking to the following year Christmas falls on the weekend back to school early also. Not that I'm wishing the years away to fit in the ski holidays.
latest report
@CaravanSkier, I think to be honest I have probably been unlucky with my chalet experiences.

Eg. 1 Neilsen Chalet in Val Thorens at New Year - ages ago pre kids. Chalet host never got up in time to make breakfast and did not do a brilliant job with the other meals. We all complained to the Resort Reps but they seemed powerless to do anything.

Eg. 2 Simply Ski Les Coches - again many years ago - early February with our then ten month old. Holiday advertised as upmarket chalet experience in a chalet specifically for families with children and childcare in chalet nearby. Arrived to find the other guests were 5 chaps, and one couple who appeared to hate children! The nanny said she'd been recruited at the last minute through a temp agency and seemed unhappy and unsuited to working in the Alps. Chalet host made a huge fuss about having to provide separate food for a 10 month old and made my son's meal so late he was too tired to eat it (admittedly my son was a fussy eater at this age). Our son slept very badly, developed an ear infection by the end of the week and every time he cried in the night I could imagine that the couple were hearing him through the paper thin walls. This must have been around the time Simply Travel were taken over by one of the large TOs and they ceased to exist soon after. However we were not to know their situation when booking. Whilst a holiday with a child this age is never going to be easy it would have been a whole lot less stressful if we'd been in an apartment.

Experience 2 was so bad that we didn't go skiing again for a few years.

Even though our children are now much older I still find self catering far more relaxing. We stay in nice apartments (usually CGH MGM type) with more space than you'd get in any catered accommodation. We enjoy the pools and spa. We do very easy meals at times that suit us and eat out some of the time. When the children were younger we didn't have to worry about baby monitors or babysitting as the children were in the next room. I do like meeting and chatting to new people on holiday but we have managed to do this while self catering. Often we chat to people whilst enjoying the pool etc. or at mountain restaurants.
ski holidays
Avoriaz is ski in ski out and lots of activities for children during Christmas/new year and half term
snow report
@Linnylou26, No comment on Neilson - see my post above! Toofy Grin However I suspect Montgenevre would be a good choice for your New Year holiday! snowHead
snow conditions
@snowymum, that's one of the reason we like SC. We can go to the pool spa like yourself and relax go back to apartment bung on tracksuit ect cook what we want and like. Go to bed early the children slept very well during New year I would hate to bein a chalet and worry that my children would be annoying them ect it wouldn't be very relaxing for me.
ski holidays
@snowymum, that does sound miserable. Not surprised you went off chalet holidays. 10 months is a bit young, perhaps.
snow report
@pam w, Has to be said it wasn't our most successful holiday but my now 12 yr old son likes to say he first went "Skiing" at 10 months snowHead Laughing He now eats and sleeps very well Very Happy
ski holidays
@snowymum, I completely understand all your points. All the things you mention are reasons, along with cost with 3 children, are why we did not do catered chalets. I was just very pleasantly surprised as to how it worked in our chalet this New Year. I did miss not having a pool/sauna and (yes maybe I'm odd lol) doing the cooking. The meals were not great and a Number of times I simply wanted to cook for the whole chalet because I missed cooking. Indeed on the staff night off I did do a raclette for those who chose to stay in Madeye-Smiley It is a different type of holiday but it has more pros than I would previously have thought!

Ski convenience wise I would always chose to stay right at the lifts, or on the edge of the piste, or with car parking in a similar position. Walking/busing with kit and kids is not a good part of a ski holiday!

We did not do ski holidays with one as young as 10 months. 14 months was the youngest, unless you count the twice I was about 3 months pregnant lol. And we were lucky because we had family living in the foothills of the the Jura so just did holidays in the Alps with a bit of skiing till they were no longer babies or toddlers.
latest report
@CaravanSkier, walking and bus that's what we had at new year before the ski in ski out piste was opened. A good 5 min walk uphill to the ski bus stop the. Some how squeezing on to a very packed ski bus. This time we are right near the slopes.
snow report
@Linnylou26, Hopefully that will be a better holiday for you, but at the end of the day all experiences you share with your children are precious. Strangely enough some occasions when things are a little stressful at the time turn out to be the ones that everyone remembers fondly and laughs about years down the line!
snow report
@CaravanSkier, Very Happy
snow conditions
We laughed, years later, about the time my OH went off to get local currency in Nairobi airport, taking the 2 year old with him. And came back without him. Wasn't quite so funny at the time though. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, That must have been really scarey at the time!
ski holidays
@CaravanSkier, my OH came back with an absurdly self-satisfied look on his face, having got some Kenyan shillings. That look soon disappeared when I enquired politely what he'd done with the baby! Who was quickly located strolling round the airport, hands in pockets, looking like a seasoned international traveller.
snow report
@pam w, Yikes!!

@Linnylou26, is avoiding the ESF a must? If not I have been going to the same place in France, Val Cenis, for the new year week for the past 7 years. My son was just under a year when we first went, and he's 7 now. He's also coeliac. The reason we keep going back is twofold - cost, and the kids ski school minibus. All you have to do is have them ready on time in the morning and they are taken to ski school from the door, collected afterwards and driven back, and the same again in the afternoon if you want. It's a short walk to the slopes, or the ski bus stops at the door, and ski back to the door for all but absolute beginners.

Cost - €470 per adult, that's full board, hot lunch and dinner with unlimited wine, and INCLUDING ski pass!! Travel extra, but lots of cheap options. Reductions for kids according to age, under 3s are free, and they don't charge under occupancy supplements for single parents. It's very French, so the food is good, and they cater really well for my kids, both of whom are coeliac. It's not luxury by any means, but it's perfectly adequate, has a good lively bar and entertainment onsite, and a kids club. They do a fantastic night for New year's Eve. There is a wellness suite, but I've never used it. There are also apartments attached for a bit more privacy but we prefer being in the main building.

Would that sort of thing suit you?
ski holidays
@Pending, yes that sounds great. Thank you.
snow report
Great Happy What ages are your kids?

Here's the website of the accommodation, which has a virtual visit button for a good look around. There's usually an English version of the website, but the link doesn't seem to be working now.

http://www.cis-valcenis.com/fr/sejour-ski-vanoise-alpes,4.html

The resort is http://en.haute-maurienne-vanoise.com/
ski holidays
@Pending, they will be 11 and 8 and this will be thier 3rd week on the slopes. Plus any time we do at the snow dome or dry ski slope.
ski holidays
Cool Happy hope you will join us next year! We've had varying numbers, from only 9 last year, to a max of 40! It's a very loose arrangement, make your own way and meet up there, or some link up for transfers etc. I normally fly to Geneva and drive down, or get a train. Turin is an option too, as is Paris since it's only 4 hours on the TGV. The train station is Modane, and there's a bus up the mountain.

We've had pretty good experiences with ESF, and the skiing is pretty varied. It's a great spot for beginners and intermediates with lots of lovely blues and a green run from top to bottom but there's enough to keep advanced skiers busy too.

Any other questions just ask
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy