Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

THE SHOCKING TRUTH ABOUT POWER STRAPS

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Very technical article but an interesting theory...

http://skimoves.me/2015/02/13/the-shocking-truth-about-power-straps/

Extract

When used appropriately, power straps can be very effective in decelerating forward movement of the shank when transient perturbations in snow reaction force exceed the limits of the balance system. But Power straps are typically used to provide a very snug fit of the leg with the rear spine of the boot shaft by reducing space between the calf muscle and the rear spine. As shaft buckles are increasingly tensioned, volume and fore-aft space within the confines of the shaft is proportionally reduced. But by acting directly on the leading edge and wrapping around the sides of the shank, a securely tightened power strap can severely limit ankle dorsiflexion by fixing the forward most position of the shank and eliminating any free reduce space between the calf muscle and the spine of the boot shaft. By binding the shank to the structurally stiffest element of the shaft, the spine acts to rigidly splint the shank while impinging on the soft tissue that is normally effective in absorbing energy from transient shock loads from perturbations in snow reaction force. The unavoidable consequence of a securely tightened power strap is that flexion of the ankle joint is greatly constricted or substantially eliminated.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm indeed shocked, stiff tightly done up ski boots are difficult to flex, who would have thought that rolling eyes

I use an elasticated power booster strap which gives a much more controlled flex and rebound.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@PowderAdict, booster straps do have a nicer more progressive feel to them although probably getting into the nice to have territory for most people.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scanning the rest of the website, I get the feeling that the author hasn't really kept up with the design of current race boots.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very familiar with this site. Scroll down to bottom of of 'power strap' post skimoves.me. suggest clicking 'Dot' ..read dot 2-17. Ie 'connect the dots' .
then 'world cup ski technique'. I think you will find David MacPhail has a cutting edge understanding of not only 'modern wc boots' but issues with stance backed up by 'hard scienc
That said read 'pronation'. This should create a very lively discussion on boot fit/alignment issues.+effects on movement patterns or lack there of.
New here...1st post. thx4 listening Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
That's why I don't wear mine tight. I don't like the "snug" fit around my calves. My foot doesn't move inside the boot so don't feel the need to tighten boots up. Not sure if it related but when people talk about bindings delta and how it affects the stance and fore/aft balance maybe they wear power straps too tight and that's why can't adjust? I ski on skis with delta from fairly neutral to relatively high and I can't tell the difference, only learned about delta because people were talking about it online, I used to think that all bindings were the same in this respect...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy