Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee 25th Dec

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Happy Xmas snow lovers...

Just finished my first day here in Saas Fee. The snow is decent if you like it packed with only one or two little ice patches. It happens to suit me as it makes me work harder on really carving those steep reds properly, still too much skidding going on for my liking! Can't comment on the off piste and there isn't much round here at the best of times anyway. Hard I imagine.

However, the (already not massive) ski area is smaller than usual since a number of runs are closed still. I've had a good first day's skiing but I'm not sure how it's going to last me all week for variety. Haven't been across to the other areas yet (Saas Grund and another one I think) - they'll be similar conditions but some new terrain would help.

Apparently there's a bit forecast for Tuesday, but I have the impression it'll only be a dusting...

Have a great festive season everybody...

A
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AlexF,

Its snowing here today......... in Kent...!!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AlexF, Going back end of Jan could do with some inside info on bars, mountain resturants, how to avoid lift queues etc Thanks in advance for the help.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I will be there on the 7th of Jan, again.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stevew - Hmm... how to avoid lift queues - try another resort? Smile I'm pretty unimpressed with the infrastructure here, the so-called 'Alpin Express' gondola is slowwwww as is the Felskinn cable car, which is probably the best way of getting up the mountain at the moment. There are one or two chairs, the rest are T-bars - slow, again but generally not too steep.

Actually it's a bit unfair of me to rate it based on this week alone since enough runs are closed to put pressure on the ones which are open. If the Speilboden run was open, the Längfluh gondola would be a bit more useful, and the whole East side of the area (particularly the Plattjen lift) is not open at present. I'm sure it will be better very soon though - there's a dump forecast for the day I leave (of bloody course). It just seems to take a long time to get back up the mountain here.

In terms of bars, the only one I've found any real life to so far is the Popcorn in the village under the Uniquehotel Dom. There's a nice little restaurant a bit out of the way off the side of the west-most blue run back to the village (4b I think), I think it's called Gletschergrotte - if you want to eat inside get there early though as it's only a small room. The main station restaurants are ok, the food's not been bad anywhere, but characterless as usual - because parts of the mountain are closed I haven't been across to the restaurant at Plattjen or the Britannia-hutte which looks promising, being a walk from the Egginerjoch run up at 3000m. I'd definitely try that one. I'm sure all this will be open by the time you get out here - probably for obelix67 too I hope.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was in Saas at Feb 1/2 term last year, and was surprised at the lack of queues in the resort.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just back from a week in saas fee.

Plenty of snow up at the top and not icy up there - maybe because the sun only seems to shine at the top for about an hour a day....

The runs low down are very icy - the main red going down to the village from morenia is a sheet of ice by 3pm - and total carnage as it's the only way open down from the slopes - every one staying in the resort from snowploughers to mega skiers are all trying to get down a piste 10ft wide! - although first thing in the morning it's empty and a lovely run after the cannons have covered it with "fresh" snow. The run back down to town on the right side of the resort on the map - forgotten it's name - is closed due to lack of snow - adding to the problem...

No lift queues at all - i think that we once had to wait for about 10 people in front of us on a drag lift - but normally walked up straight onto lifts!

If you're going out take plenty of thermals though - seemed bitterly cold particularly out of the sun...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy